Hitler's Legacy in the future (say 1000 years) Watch

STEMasterRace
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
It can be said without doubt that in present times, Hitler is one of the most well known non-religious figures. If you ask 100 random people who Hitler was all of them could probably answer that (albeit to varying degrees of detail).

However if this question was asked 1000 years from now, what proportion of the 100 people asked would know who Hitler was?

Posted from TSR Mobile
pereira325
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How the hell are we supposed to know? Do you think we have a crystal ball which lets us look into the future?
If north korea does some other war or shiz and Germany stays peaceful more people would probably know Kim jong um or what his name is over Hitler.
STEMasterRace
Rep:
?
(Original post by pereira325)
How the hell are we supposed to know? Do you think we have a crystal ball which lets us look into the future?
If north korea does some other war or shiz and Germany stays peaceful more people would probably know Kim jong um or what his name is over Hitler.
I think you've missed the point of this thread, the main point is not about predicting how many people out of 100 will know about Hitler in 1000 years, it's about his legacy in 1000 years.

The subject of Hitler and Nazism still engenders a strong negative feeling in most due to how recent the events of WW2 were. However when mentioning the Mongol conquests which were far more destructive than WW2 when you factor in the world's population at the time, no one bats an eye.

What I'm asking is will Hitler and the events that he caused be forgotten in the future just as the Mongol conquests. Or is WW2 so well documented compared to other wars before it that it will never be forgotten.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by STEMasterRace)
I think you've missed the point of this thread, the main point is not about predicting how many people out of 100 will know about Hitler in 1000 years, it's about his legacy in 1000 years.

The subject of Hitler and Nazism still engenders a strong negative feeling in most due to how recent the events of WW2 were. However when mentioning the Mongol conquests which were far more destructive than WW2 when you factor in the world's population at the time, no one bats an eye.

What I'm asking is will Hitler and the events that he caused be forgotten in the future just as the Mongol conquests. Or is WW2 so well documented compared to other wars before it that it will never be forgotten.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As history always, barring say the immediate preceeding 30 years, tends to focus on more recent events first, it really depends how awful mankind is to one another over the next 1,000 years. Given past history one can guess that there will be plenty of truly awful events which will come to resonate stronger, being more recent.

Lets face it, closer to home the Thirty Years War was not very pleasant, whilst European countries no doubt study it more closely, here in the UK it tends to be something we mainly avoided (I did a bit on it in a very broad fifth year course) as we more dealt with our own constitutional issues in the 17th century.

I probably studied a broader history at school than most of you here(older) so UK history 1790-1930 up to fourth year, European 1485-1750 and UK 1603-1850 in fifth year, in both cases far more recent periods than say the Norman Conquest, Romans etc which got briefly observed in the first two years of secondary pre the start of the O level syllabus in third year.

I of course did not study the Nazis, WW2 was far too close to be history, it was something my father and grandfather had experienced, as far as school was concerned in the 1970s WW1 was the height of man's barbarism.
Sternumator
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Interesting question. I agree with the above that it completely depends on events to follow. Maybe it is one of two world wars or maybe it will be one of dozens.

My crystal ball says there is still a chance that in 1000, it will still be the biggest genocide and the only conflict in which nuclear weapons have been used but maybe that is too optimistic. 1000 years is a long time.

Its difficult to compare to 1000 ago because of the global nature of the world now. Everyone has heard of William the Conqueror but he is very much a national figure. I was going to mention Genghis Khan as a good comparison. I think it could be similar. People who know a little about history will have heard of him and people who don't won't. 65/100 at a guess. Only time will tell though.
STEMasterRace
Rep:
?
I personally believe that Hitler will be remembered not due to his personality but due to the war that he caused. Unlike Genghis Khan who was successful, Hitler failed but the world was never the same again, countries formed alliances and since the end of WW2 there has not been a great conflict between large states.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DJKL
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sternumator)
Interesting question. I agree with the above that it completely depends on events to follow. Maybe it is one of two world wars or maybe it will be one of dozens.

My crystal ball says there is still a chance that in 1000, it will still be the biggest genocide and the only conflict in which nuclear weapons have been used but maybe that is too optimistic. 1000 years is a long time.

Its difficult to compare to 1000 ago because of the global nature of the world now. Everyone has heard of William the Conqueror but he is very much a national figure. I was going to mention Genghis Khan as a good comparison. I think it could be similar. People who know a little about history will have heard of him and people who don't won't. 65/100 at a guess. Only time will tell though.
Maybe individual figures will become less important, maybe in 1,000 years the whole study of history will be dominated by the growth of ideas and individuals will be less significant, if we consider how in a few short years the internet has opened access, to disseminate thought and beliefs, if that continues (which I suspect is near a given) political rulers/figures will maybe lose their significance.

For instance how long until government is done by a hired set of "civil servants" with individuals voting on an issue by issue basis, there is the thought (which of course may be a terrible thought) that elected politicians are no longer required to direct policy, the people all vote via electronic device.

The problem is always viewing the world as it is today and being fooled into believing its current structures are perpetual, looking back we can see that they are not and 1,000 years is a long time in the development of technology.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
WW2 was during a time of relative civility - the Mongols were around in the Middle Ages, when it was still cool to go around killing whoever.
PEFLAME
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Probably the same level of reputation as someone like Genghis Khan or Napoleon at present time.
Bonus prediction: He will somehow end up being a positive historical figure in 1000 years... Yeah... you heard it here first
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In a thousand years, Hitlor will only be known as music legend, rock icon Harry Styles's ex-girlfriend.
Sternumator
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DJKL)
Maybe individual figures will become less important, maybe in 1,000 years the whole study of history will be dominated by the growth of ideas and individuals will be less significant, if we consider how in a few short years the internet has opened access, to disseminate thought and beliefs, if that continues (which I suspect is near a given) political rulers/figures will maybe lose their significance.

For instance how long until government is done by a hired set of "civil servants" with individuals voting on an issue by issue basis, there is the thought (which of course may be a terrible thought) that elected politicians are no longer required to direct policy, the people all vote via electronic device.

The problem is always viewing the world as it is today and being fooled into believing its current structures are perpetual, looking back we can see that they are not and 1,000 years is a long time in the development of technology.
Although a lot of things change, humans are still humans and some topics have stood the test of time. Power and death fall into that category.

The holocaust will hopefully be one of the biggest genocides in human history in 1000 years time. That will be remembered. Humans always feel the pain of loss. We can relate to, for example, a mother losing a child whether it is now or 1000 years ago.

The scale of the devastation is interesting. I feel like I can understand what it would have been like to live during the plagues. I can't understand the religion or political systems of the time but I can imagine what it would be like for everyone to die around me.

It's the same with power. We still take an interest in leaders for as far back as records can take us because lessons of power still apply today.

Power has a tendency to concentrate. History has shown that. It just isn't efficient for a large proportion of the population to be concerning themselves with governance. They have other things to do.

Technology can reduce the cost of voting to a negligible amount but it doesn't get around the fundamental problem that people don't have the time or energy to get informed and think deeply about details of government.

It is difficult enough to get people to vote in a general election. They will not engage in direct democracy. It would end up with very low turnouts or people blindly voting how charismatic leaders tell them. Either of those concentrate power. People just don't have time to independently consider the issues.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads