Getting into Boutique Investment Banking via Cranfield MSc Watch

Finance_Warrior
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone,

I have been offered a place at Cranfield School of Management to study the MSc Finance and Management. My background consists of a 2:1 degree in Accounting and Finance from a mid table UK University and one year experience in a top 30 Accountancy firm as a Trainee Accountant.

Given my background, which does not contain a Banking internship, what are my chances to break into Investment Banking in the City as an Intern/Analyst after my MSc? I am looking at small M&A/Advisory firms which employee 20-100 staff. I have checked out the Cranfield alumni on Linkedin and there are a good number with jobs in Investment Banking including some MD's at Boutique Advisory firms. However, I was told by another alumni that it would be better to study at CASS due to networking opportunities in the city despite the quality of the Cranfield MSc being at a similar level.

Also, how does a MSc from Cranfield place with top European Business Schools such as LBS and INSEAD for a MBA? As I acknowledge I might have to work in another area of Finance, then do a top MBA to make the jump to Investment Banking as an Associate in my late 20's.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jkknew
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Finance_Warrior)
Hi everyone,

I have been offered a place at Cranfield School of Management to study the MSc Finance and Management. My background consists of a 2:1 degree in Accounting and Finance from a mid table UK University and one year experience in a top 30 Accountancy firm as a Trainee Accountant.

Given my background, which does not contain a Banking internship, what are my chances to break into Investment Banking in the City as an Intern/Analyst after my MSc? I am looking at small M&A/Advisory firms which employee 20-100 staff. I have checked out the Cranfield alumni on Linkedin and there are a good number with jobs in Investment Banking including some MD's at Boutique Advisory firms. However, I was told by another alumni that it would be better to study at CASS due to networking opportunities in the city despite the quality of the Cranfield MSc being at a similar level.

Also, how does a MSc from Cranfield place with top European Business Schools such as LBS and INSEAD for a MBA? As I acknowledge I might have to work in another area of Finance, then do a top MBA to make the jump to Investment Banking as an Associate in my late 20's.

Hello

What is your decision? How about cranfield?
I would like to know about this course.
Cranfield University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Finance_Warrior)
Hi everyone,

Hi Everyone,

I know this message was first asked a year ago, but I thought it would be great to still present an answer.

The type of career that students gain after studying the Finance and Management MSc depends on the knowledge gained during the course and the grades obtained by the student. Historically, our students that have applied for Investment Banking positions in London have gone into internship roles that eventually became permanent positions. Cranfield has long standing relationships with major players in the financial sector who regularly employ Cranfield students.

CASS and Cranfield are among the top universities and have a world reputation in Finance. We do not know about the job opportunities that CASS’s students go onto therefore cannot comment. However, 95% of Cranfield School of Management students were employed within 3 months of graduation (across our full-time master’s courses).

Cranfield is part of an elite group of schools worldwide to hold triple accreditation: AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS. We offer one of the top MBA programmes in the UK, Europe and globally. More information can be found on our rankings page: https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/about-us/rankings

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you require any further information.

Kind Regards
Cranfield TSR Rep,
xtrembob
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cranfield University)
Hi Everyone,

I know this message was first asked a year ago, but I thought it would be great to still present an answer.

The type of career that students gain after studying the Finance and Management MSc depends on the knowledge gained during the course and the grades obtained by the student. Historically, our students that have applied for Investment Banking positions in London have gone into internship roles that eventually became permanent positions. Cranfield has long standing relationships with major players in the financial sector who regularly employ Cranfield students.

CASS and Cranfield are among the top universities and have a world reputation in Finance. We do not know about the job opportunities that CASS’s students go onto therefore cannot comment. However, 95% of Cranfield School of Management students were employed within 3 months of graduation (across our full-time master’s courses).

Cranfield is part of an elite group of schools worldwide to hold triple accreditation: AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS. We offer one of the top MBA programmes in the UK, Europe and globally. More information can be found on our rankings page: https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/about-us/rankings

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you require any further information.

Kind Regards
Cranfield TSR Rep,
Do you have any break down of the industries your graduates have been going to?
Cranfield University
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xtrembob)
Do you have any break down of the industries your graduates have been going to?
Certainly, I will.
If you do not mind, I will have to contact the Careers, School of Management team for this and get back to you.

Best Regards,

Cranfield TSR
Cranfield University
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Certainly, I will.
If you do not mind, I will have to contact the Careers, School of Management team for this and get back to you.

Best Regards,

Cranfield TSR
Hi,

I just got the response from the School of Management, Cranfield University.

"Historically Students have progressed into roles, working for the following companies:

Accenture, AfriSwiss Capital Management, Bank of Ayudhya, Bci Corporate & Investment Banking, BISA Leasing S.A., Bloomia, BMCI Groupe, BNP Paribas, Brussels Airlines, Capgemini, Capital Market Brokers, Compliancy Services, Credit Suisse, Deloitte, DNB, Edmond de Rothschild, EY, Frenger International, Hang Seng Bank, Investiture Fund Managers, Ipes, Ira Agrotech & Research Pvt., Kannatopia, Kasikornbank, Kerry Group, Kumpulan Wang Simpanan Pekerja (Employees' Provident Fund), MBank, Nasdaq, ODIN Fund Management, Pilotware, PwC, Qilu Securities, RB, Results International, Rolls-Royce, Self-Employed FOREX Trader, The Anglo Chinese Group, UBS.

The following shows the positions and companies, that more recently our 2017 Graduates moved into

Senior Associate

Deloitte Financial Advisory

Director

Yash Realty

Business & Financial Analyst

OWL Media Group

Analyst

Jobrapido

Finance Graduate

Liberty Global

Senior associate

CTBC Bank

Junior executive

Capital Emprendedor- Nacional Financiera

Corporate Finance, Senior Manager

PT Kresna Securities

Assistant Manager - Finance and Accounts

Vivid Labs Limited

Trainee sales trader

IG Group

Senior Analyst

Business Analyst

Velux

Business Trainee

Shanghai Rural Commercial Bank

Management Trainee-Finance

Berli Jucker Public Company Limited

Senior Consultant

PowerSource Philippine Development Corporation

Trainee Solicitor

Mills & Reeve

Assistant Manager

KPMG

Senior associate

PwC

Graduate Intern

PwC

Agriculture Bank of China

Assistant

Nordea Bank Ab

Account Executive

Willis Towers Watson

Analyst

EY

Trader

Ferlink S.A.L.

M&A Analyst

Goetzpartners

I D K O Ltd

Investment Analyst

Cambridge capital group

Insurance Broker Intern

Willis Towers Watson

Corporate finance executive

KPMG

N/A

Analyst

KPMG

M&A Intern

Acris Ltd

SMCR officer

Charles Stanley

Apologies if this is quite detailed- It came directly from the School of Management so I "copied and pasted", so that I do not leave anything behind!

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep.
xtrembob
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

I just got the response from the School of Management, Cranfield University.

"Historically Students have progressed into roles, working for the following companies:

Accenture, AfriSwiss Capital Management, Bank of Ayudhya, Bci Corporate & Investment Banking, BISA Leasing S.A., Bloomia, BMCI Groupe, BNP Paribas, Brussels Airlines, Capgemini, Capital Market Brokers, Compliancy Services, Credit Suisse, Deloitte, DNB, Edmond de Rothschild, EY, Frenger International, Hang Seng Bank, Investiture Fund Managers, Ipes, Ira Agrotech & Research Pvt., Kannatopia, Kasikornbank, Kerry Group, Kumpulan Wang Simpanan Pekerja (Employees' Provident Fund), MBank, Nasdaq, ODIN Fund Management, Pilotware, PwC, Qilu Securities, RB, Results International, Rolls-Royce, Self-Employed FOREX Trader, The Anglo Chinese Group, UBS.

The following shows the positions and companies, that more recently our 2017 Graduates moved into

Senior Associate

Deloitte Financial Advisory

Director

Yash Realty

Business & Financial Analyst

OWL Media Group

Analyst

Jobrapido

Finance Graduate

Liberty Global

Senior associate

CTBC Bank

Junior executive

Capital Emprendedor- Nacional Financiera

Corporate Finance, Senior Manager

PT Kresna Securities

Assistant Manager - Finance and Accounts

Vivid Labs Limited

Trainee sales trader

IG Group

Senior Analyst

Business Analyst

Velux

Business Trainee

Shanghai Rural Commercial Bank

Management Trainee-Finance

Berli Jucker Public Company Limited

Senior Consultant

PowerSource Philippine Development Corporation

Trainee Solicitor

Mills & Reeve

Assistant Manager

KPMG

Senior associate

PwC

Graduate Intern

PwC

Agriculture Bank of China

Assistant

Nordea Bank Ab

Account Executive

Willis Towers Watson

Analyst

EY

Trader

Ferlink S.A.L.

M&A Analyst

Goetzpartners

I D K O Ltd

Investment Analyst

Cambridge capital group

Insurance Broker Intern

Willis Towers Watson

Corporate finance executive

KPMG

N/A

Analyst

KPMG

M&A Intern

Acris Ltd

SMCR officer

Charles Stanley

Apologies if this is quite detailed- It came directly from the School of Management so I "copied and pasted", so that I do not leave anything behind!

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep.
Great thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.97%
No (134)
74.03%

Watched Threads