The Student Room Group

pH Question

I have a question which states that the Ka value for ethanoic acid is 1.74x10^-5. Sodium hydroxide is added to the beaker containing ethanoic acid, forming a salt. The questions asks to calculate the value of [salt]/[acid] at a pH of 4.84.

So far, I have calculated [H+] by doing 10^-4.84 which I'm assuming will be equal to the concentration of ethanoic acid. I wasn't sure how to get the concentration of the salt, so I looked at the mark scheme and it took the value of Ka to be equal to the salt concentration. Why can Ka be equal to the concentration of the salt?
Can you post the whole question please?
Original post by JustARandomer123
I have a question which states that the Ka value for ethanoic acid is 1.74x10^-5. Sodium hydroxide is added to the beaker containing ethanoic acid, forming a salt. The questions asks to calculate the value of [salt]/[acid] at a pH of 4.84.

So far, I have calculated [H+] by doing 10^-4.84 which I'm assuming will be equal to the concentration of ethanoic acid. I wasn't sure how to get the concentration of the salt, so I looked at the mark scheme and it took the value of Ka to be equal to the salt concentration. Why can Ka be equal to the concentration of the salt?

It isn't.

ka = [H+][A-]/[HA]

The hydrogen ion concentration does not equal the concentration of the ethanoic acid (it is only partially dissociated)

The moles of salt will be equal to the moles of base added to the excess acid.

The ethanoic acid concentration is the moles remaining divided by the total volume.
Original post by TheTennisOne
Can you post the whole question please?

Chem.png
Original post by JustARandomer123
Chem.png

You need to divide Ka by h+ to get the salt/acid ratio- just rearranging ka equation, h+=10^-4.84
h+=1.4454*10^-5

ka=1.74*10^-5

ka/h+ =1.21

This is because Ka=[H+][A-]/[HA] so divide both sides by [H+]
to get Ka/[H+] = [A-]/[HA]
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
You need to divide Ka by h+ to get the salt/acid ratio- just rearranging ka equation, h+=10^-4.84
h+=1.4454*10^-5

ka=1.74*10^-5

ka/h+ =1.21

Thank you!!
Original post by Gerry-Atricks
h+=1.4454*10^-5

ka=1.74*10^-5

ka/h+ =1.21

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP, EXPLAIN WHY KA CAN =A- value
Original post by justarandomer123
thank you!!

anyone please help with this question
Original post by charco
it isn't.

Ka = [h+][a-]/[ha]

the hydrogen ion concentration does not equal the concentration of the ethanoic acid (it is only partially dissociated)

the moles of salt will be equal to the moles of base added to the excess acid.

The ethanoic acid concentration is the moles remaining divided by the total volume.

anyone please help with this q
Original post by bluestarr35910

Hi are you talking about Question 1(d) (i) or 1(d) (iii)
Original post by bluestarr35910

I assume you're talking about 1 (d) (iii)
Basically, you only know two values, [Ka] & [H+]
so we're not saying Ka = [A-]
you're just moving [H+] to the other side to get the ratio
so you're going from Ka = [CH3COO-] [H+] / [CH3COOH]
to Ka / [H+] = [CH3COO-] / [CH3COOH], then you can find the ratio by subbing in the values. The second marking point is just rearranging it.
Took me a minute to decipher it and I needed some help with the algebra lmao but I hope it makes sense!

Quick Reply

Latest