The Student Room Group

WJEC (9-1) English Language Exam | How was it?

How did the exam today (6 June) go?

Scroll to see replies

Still crying about the fluffy kittens
Reply 2
Original post by AmeliaLost
Still crying about the fluffy kittens

How many quotes (paragraphs) did you do for each 10 mark question?
Original post by Hello50
How many quotes (paragraphs) did you do for each 10 mark question?

About 4-5 paragraphs, each para had about 3-6 quotes. I think. My mind is a bit blank now... You?
Reply 4
About 4-5 paragraphs, each para had about 3-6 quotes. I think. My mind is a bit blank now... You?

This is what I think I got
A1 - 5/5
A2 - 4/5
A3 - 5/10
A4 - 5/10
A5 - 5/10
Which all equals to 24/40
Now I am relying on the narrative story to boost my grade up hopefully.

What do you think you got for each one?
Original post by Hello50
This is what I think I got
A1 - 5/5
A2 - 4/5
A3 - 5/10
A4 - 5/10
A5 - 5/10
Which all equals to 24/40
Now I am relying on the narrative story to boost my grade up hopefully.

What do you think you got for each one?

No idea, I'm really bad at judging my own work! How do you guess???

I always thought I failed my mocks but I kept getting like 80/90% in them :s-smilie: I thought it went okay, so it's maybe going to be something like 5/4/7/7/8? Then maybe 32/40 for the story? But it wasn't v. imaginative so maybe only like 28... I have no idea! I'll just wait for august...
Reply 6
No idea, I'm really bad at judging my own work! How do you guess???

I always thought I failed my mocks but I kept getting like 80/90% in them :s-smilie: I thought it went okay, so it's maybe going to be something like 5/4/7/7/8? Then maybe 32/40 for the story? But it wasn't v. imaginative so maybe only like 28... I have no idea! I'll just wait for august...

During the exam I counted how many quotes (paragraphs) I done for each one and each one equals to one point
So I added them up :smile:
Then I got upset as I only just did over a half :frown:
Hopefully my narrative was good
I probably need 26/40 in my narrative to pass overall (so 50/80) because the predicted grade for a 5 is about 60-65% as I have heard.
Original post by Hello50
During the exam I counted how many quotes (paragraphs) I done for each one and each one equals to one point
So I added them up :smile:
Then I got upset as I only just did over a half :frown:
Hopefully my narrative was good
I probably need 26/40 in my narrative to pass overall (so 50/80) because the predicted grade for a 5 is about 60-65% as I have heard.

I think you get a point for the point/quote, and a point for the explanation usually, up to like 8 marks, and then the final two marks if you make particularly perceptive comments. So you might have done better than you think :smile:
Reply 8
I think you get a point for the point/quote, and a point for the explanation usually, up to like 8 marks, and then the final two marks if you make particularly perceptive comments. So you might have done better than you think :smile:

My English teacher told me each paragraph should have 1 quote, 1 technique and 1 explanation and that all equals to 1 point.
Is that what your English teacher told you?
Reply 9
Original post by Hello50
My English teacher told me each paragraph should have 1 quote, 1 technique and 1 explanation and that all equals to 1 point.

So 10 marks - 10 quotes (7 if really detailed) with techniques and explanation
Original post by Hello50

Not quite. I was told to use as many quotes as we can squish in to support our points. I tend to find a common point, use a bunch of quotes and explain how the techniques in the quotes achieve whatever my point was. I use a paragraph for different points, or maybe focus on interesting adjectives/verbs in one, another for structural things etc...
omg. no. i only did two detailed (i think they were) paragraphs for each 10 marker within 10-15 minutes.
Original post by s4b3rt00th
omg. no. i only did two detailed (i think they were) paragraphs for each 10 marker within 10-15 minutes.

haha i think I write too much tbf. If they were really detailed you'll probably be fine ^^
haha i think I write too much tbf. If they were really detailed you'll probably be fine ^^

i don't think they were. i didn't know the exam technique and i was too lazy to attend revision sessions (okay, my fault). i used my knowledge of english literature and tried adapting myself to it.
Original post by s4b3rt00th
i don't think they were. i didn't know the exam technique and i was too lazy to attend revision sessions (okay, my fault). i used my knowledge of english literature and tried adapting myself to it.

:frown: oh well. It's done now, so just focus on the next one and your other exams and don't worry about it ^^
It went better than i thought cuz i was stressing
I did overviews for all 10 markers and that 2nd 5 marker
Probably about 1 page or 1 1/2 per 10 marker
Took me 1 hour 20 mins
Last years boundaries
73% A*
65% A
57% B
50% C
Ours should be a little lower than this
So
5 51%
6 56%
7 62%
8 67%
Original post by Hello50
How did the exam today (6 June) go?

It went ok :smile: I was afraid that it would be MUCH worse but it was alright. Not bad at all, done far harder past papers in class.

Just hope the second paper next week won't have any difficult questions in that now. :smile: I'm confident of passing with how well it went this morning.
Original post by AsianG99
Last years boundaries
73% A*
65% A
57% B
50% C
Ours should be a little lower than this
So
5 51%
6 56%
7 62%
8 67%

I don't understand that :/ so your estimate with 51% would be a C?
Original post by Owain53
I don't understand that :/ so your estimate with 51% would be a C?

Gotta look at last years paper bro
this year the paper is harder so why would this paper be higher

Quick Reply

Latest