Is mental health genetic? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My grandmother has schizophrenia and has been in a care place for 20+ years because of it and I think I've started to display some of the symptoms of schizophrenia and I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or if I should go see my doctor
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
" It is believed that schizophrenia is much like diabetes, which is caused by a number of genetic and environmental factors. ... The more of these gene variations that a person has, the greater the risk of developing schizophrenia. "
YaliaV
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There probably is a genetic element, but it has been overstated. If you see mental illness in your family, then you probably feel like you'll end up like that and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

What symptoms do you think you're displaying? You are probably just stressing out and making yourself ill. Go to your doctor if you are worried.
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My grandmother has schizophrenia and has been in a care place for 20+ years because of it and I think I've started to display some of the symptoms of schizophrenia and I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or if I should go see my doctor
Genes don't cause a disease, it just increases the risk of it appearing.

As said by others, there also environmental factors.
YaliaV
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by stoyfan)
Genes don't cause a disease, it just increases the risk of it appearing.

As said by others, there also environmental factors.
I'd say environmental factors are way more important. All of the mentally ill people I know have/had members with the same illness. My friend grew up with two alcoholic parents and he was told to be wary of drink from a very young age. That made him fearful of drink and life in general. Self-fulfilling prophecy, he became an alcoholic.Sorry, rant over.

I have a feeling the OP is making him/herself feel ill by worrying about this. I think a lot of the symptoms of schizophrenia are present in anxiety and depression.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
If it's worrying you then it's always best to see your gp.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (30)
13.1%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
9.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.83%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (32)
13.97%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (27)
11.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (69)
30.13%

Watched Threads