The Student Room Group

Aqa English Language paper 1- HELP I MESSED UP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alixwfoster
DO NOT WORRY

firstly- 2 pages is overly sufficient.
secondly- what is done is done
thirdly- you said yourself that section A was strong af

I deviated off the topic and described the surroundings.
It's descriptive and so creative boundaries are pretty extensive.

YOU WILL BE FINE
sending love x

ps- you will do better than you think you did!

thank you so much, wishing you all the best with the rest of your exams xx
Reply 21
Original post by Jennifercullen
My section A was strong, so thats reassuring. However, i ran out of time for Section B, only had about 20 minutes and managed to write about 2 pages. THIS IS NOT THE WORST:frown:( i cried to my teacher, as the description was supposed to be your journey home ON the bus, i misread/didn't see this and wrotes as though i was an outsider looking in. How many marks will i lose/40, will i lose them all for not addressing the question? Is it still possible to get a 6 overall? Actually so upset right now:frown:(

I did exactly what you did if it makes you feel any better.
Original post by TheMentallBental
You'll be fine. as long as you managed to get descriptive skills, you will still get high marks. also, my teacher told me to try to write 2 side only.

okay cool- thats reassuring :-)
Original post by lily1238
I did exactly what you did if it makes you feel any better.

ahh join the club, i'm sure we'll be ok x
The English Language Exam today for section A i smashed it But for section b it was about 2 people and their backgrounds where i had to produce a story and i talked about how the 2 people had 2 different backgrounds and they got bullied in school due to their background did i do it wrong as i had no idea and im stressed over it???
Original post by Moppet
Hello :smile:
As others have said, don't worry because you actually won't get penalised at all :smile: The question said to write a description suggested by this picture, not one about this picture or based on this scene. So your answer is completely relevant because it could have been inspired by that picture. In our mock people wrote a description/story about completely different things to each other and nobody got marked down. I'm sure that the examiner will actually like it if your description is abstract because then the ideas are original. I only wrote a paragraph or less than half a page for that question and my section A was not too strong, so don't worry, I'm sure you've done well :smile:

I'm sure yours was great too, thank you X
Original post by BIGBOY6969
The English Language Exam today for section A i smashed it But for section b it was about 2 people and their backgrounds where i had to produce a story and i talked about how the 2 people had 2 different backgrounds and they got bullied in school due to their background did i do it wrong as i had no idea and im stressed over it???

Nope, you did it right there was 2 questions, the description or the story and you chose the story, no need to stress :smile:
Nope, you did it right there was 2 questions, the description or the story and you chose the story, no need to stress :smile:

Thank you Legend
Original post by HarrydaHobbit
Well you probably didn't do as worse as me...I wrote 3 and a half pages about a train and not a bus (i thought it was london underground...i know ;( ) you cant do anyting about it now so don't worry.

Don't worry, you'll get marks for SPAG, and language devices, descriptive language etc, i didn't focus on the question either so there will be a limited amount we can get. However, like people are saying- we can bring it back on paper 2, its only 25% and you most demo will not get 0/40.
Original post by DontSweat
Hey, Don't worry about your view point, in fact, you may even get compelling due to your separate interpretation. To be honest, you'll get lower marks the more obvious you go, the best idea was to maybe write as the bus itself, and describe from its own view, you should not be docked marks because you were looking in, it may have just limited the amount you could've described is all, so don't sweat it :smile:

I really hope so, thank you i feel a lot better about it now, xx
u thought it was a train?
My section A was strong, so thats reassuring. However, i ran out of time for Section B, only had about 20 minutes and managed to write about 2 pages. THIS IS NOT THE WORST:frown:( i cried to my teacher, as the description was supposed to be your journey home ON the bus, i misread/didn't see this and wrotes as though i was an outsider looking in. How many marks will i lose/40, will i lose them all for not addressing the question? Is it still possible to get a 6 overall? Actually so upset right now:frown:(

I wrote from the perspective of an outsider as well! I don't think you'll lose marks because at the end of the day you're still writing about a bus journey home and it was a describe question as well, so you don't necessarily have to stick exactly to the prompt. A few people at my school didn't even realise the extract was on a double page, so you'll definitely be fine!
ur just a nerd

You took inspiration from the photo and created your own interpretation with description so you will still be awarded. Don't worry, I've just realised I got a structural device wrong! :smile:

4 minutes ago

if i talked accidently about a train instead of a bus (i thought london underground) would it have been fine as i was still describing the journey in a vehicle? I talked a bout the people on the train, the smell, the atmosphere outside, where it was going and that is was going to crash into a station due to a figure who hijacked the train.
Hi, I'm stressing out about the description question for this exam. When I read the question I didn't realise it said "BUS journey" and have gone and written about a train journey. I am very stressed that my response is now invalid and will be given 0 marks. My English teacher told me not to worry but I can't help it :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)

4 minutes ago

if i talked accidently about a train instead of a bus (i thought london underground) would it have been fine as i was still describing the journey in a vehicle? I talked a bout the people on the train, the smell, the atmosphere outside, where it was going and that is was going to crash into a station due to a figure who hijacked the train.

I'm on the complete same boat as you.
Original post by sophiee179
Hi, I'm stressing out about the description question for this exam. When I read the question I didn't realise it said "BUS journey" and have gone and written about a train journey. I am very stressed that my response is now invalid and will be given 0 marks. My English teacher told me not to worry but I can't help it :frown:

im in the exact same situation and talked about a train journey. Im hoping that because we said about a journey and just described the wrong mode of tranpsort it will be alright. ( i thought it was london underground)
im in the exact same situation and talked about a train journey. Im hoping that because we said about a journey and just described the wrong mode of tra
npsort it will be alright. ( i thought it was london underground)

So did I, it never clicked with me that it was a bus. I feel very stupid now. X

Quick Reply