My insurance policy was cancelled, what can I do now? Watch

Ahamid99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Which insurance company did they use and what Car do they have?
nevershear
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Ahamid99)
Make a new thread, what you're asking doesn't even come across clearly here as this discussion ended like 9 months ago.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Ahamid99)
drink too get and what @nevershear said
Bossinit
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Sorry for the tardy response but I've been doing a bit of research - you're right that there's no question regarding reviously cancelled policies on their proposal form, and there's nothing in the terms regarding previously cancelled policies.

However, an LV representative has confirmed to me that they use a shared database to look for cancelled policies, and either refuse to quote or increase premiums if it's a cancellation for a reason they don't like - some types of cancellations make no difference. They were unable to confirm which cancellations would affect a quote, and which wouldn't.
I work for LV= someone has lied to you my friend
amy00111x
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Not being funny mate but if you think all young people have thousands of pounds sitting around to just put on insurance you are absolutely deluded, i need my car for work so i don't have a choice but i certainly wouldn't say oh yeah **** it without a black box is only another 2000, ill just pay it. No way! and like you say you wouldn't care if it was another 2000 you need to rethink that a lot why would you voluntarily want to pay that, just INCASE your insurance is cancelled. Not all young people are careless drivers!!!!!!!
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by amy00111x)
Not being funny mate but if you think all young people have thousands of pounds sitting around to just put on insurance you are absolutely deluded, i need my car for work so i don't have a choice but i certainly wouldn't say oh yeah **** it without a black box is only another 2000, ill just pay it. No way! and like you say you wouldn't care if it was another 2000 you need to rethink that a lot why would you voluntarily want to pay that, just INCASE your insurance is cancelled. Not all young people are careless drivers!!!!!!!
Affordable insurance can always be had without a black box if you do your homework.
Nanny ange
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
My granday daughter as had her insurance cancelled because she though her tinted windows were factory settings. ..now her quotes are £9000..who did your friend go with after x thnx
lizolove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by hayley.e)
So I have been driving for 6 months now, I was with the company 'Insurethebox' so I had a black box fitted that monitored my speed, breaking etc. My policy has now been cancelled due to speeding and I'm receiving quotes for £7,918 and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do that will bring these quotes down? Any suggestions will be great!

Edit: Just realised this is from 2017 so it's probably no longer an issue, but for the time it took me to type it, I'm keeping it here - hopefully my rant will help somebody else who is on this thread looking for a resolution!

There's certain things you can do to bring your premium down. I had a similar issue when I started driving. I passed my test at 17, got my first car at 19 and although living in a nice area with named drivers on the policy ended up with a best quote of £1700.

Tips:

1) Make sure you put a fake number in comparison site quotes (they will call you, and it will drive you insane).
2) Use comparison sites. Different ones will bring different results. For me, years ago, Confused.com had the best quotes, but nowadays I get the best ones from ComparetheMarket.com
3) Try independent insurers who don't use comparison sites (LV, Directline)
4) When you start your search, mess around with quotes (i.e. once you get a quote, try changing small things and seeing if it brings it down - they should email you each time you change it so it will save the quote for you automatically). Things to consider are:
- Named drivers (family who have access to another car for example but are 'insured' to drive yours - insurers think this means you will drive it less, so quotes go down - I think you can put a fair few on (5 maybe?) so perhaps consider parents, grandparents, siblings, aunties, uncles).
- Where you will keep your car - for some reason, the insurance is often cheaper when you park on a road rather than in a driveway (avoids scuffs and bumps) or in a carpark.
- Use of the car (don't lie here, as if you use it for business/work, you will have to declare it or your policy may be redundant if you need to claim, and it's fraud too) - but if you can start getting a bus to work, maybe consider that.
- Type of insurance - fully comp may be desirable, but it may be worth considering third party, fire and theft as this covers less so is likely to cost less.
- Miles per year - they want an estimate for how far you'll drive. If you state 10,000 it'll cost more than 4000. You can always change it, but consider more frugally how far you will travel (work it out on average per week and times by 52).
- Voluntary excess - this is how much you will have to cough up on top of your compulsory excess if you are in an accident. If you set it higher, your premium will likely be cheaper. Sometimes you can add £200 voluntary and it'll go down by a mere few pounds so it isn't worth it, but if you mess around with it, you may find it goes down substantially.
5) Failing all this, it may be worth considering young driver insurance (give it a quick google) - I know Endsleigh do student insurance on cars and it was the cheapest for me as a student. Other providers also offer similar things.
6) You could also call some places and see if their quotes differ from any online ones.

Alternatively, it may be a monthly payment sort of deal, or having to change your car for a cheaper to insure one.

Keep modifying your quote and see what the best outcome is (but remember to make sure you are honest i.e. not lying about the use).

Best of luck!
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by lizolove)
- Type of insurance - fully comp may be desirable, but it may be worth considering third party, fire and theft as this covers less so is likely to cost less.

- Miles per year - they want an estimate for how far you'll drive. If you state 10,000 it'll cost more than 4000. You can always change it, but consider more frugally how far you will travel (work it out on average per week and times by 52).
You'd think that, wouldn't you, and yet for a bizarre reason, there are instances where FC is cheaper than TPFT, and a higher mileage is cheaper than a lower.
lizolove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
You'd think that, wouldn't you, and yet for a bizarre reason, there are instances where FC is cheaper than TPFT, and a higher mileage is cheaper than a lower.
Yeah, it's bonkers - that's why I always advise to mess around with the stats (obviously whilst still being honest). It's how I got my cheapest quote.
Harland G
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
So I have been driving for 6 months now, I was with the company 'Insurethebox' so I had a black box fitted that monitored my speed, breaking etc. My policy has now been cancelled due to speeding and I'm receiving quotes for £7,918 and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do that will bring these quotes down? Any suggestions will be great!

My advice, for what it's worth is to contact Adrian Flux. they handle unusual insurance risks. I used them when I returned from abroad. I shipped my car back which was originally a UK car but matriculated onto foreign plates and I needed insurance while I swapped plates back to UK ones. I'm not promising anything but they sorted me out when no-one else would touch me with a barge pole. Give them a call, what have you got to lose?
Bossinit
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by lizolove)
Yeah, it's bonkers - that's why I always advise to mess around with the stats (obviously whilst still being honest). It's how I got my cheapest quote.
Yep, basically they are trying to drive out third party fire and theft policy’s because they are basically so **** and people are really not giving themselves decent cover. During training I was told that they try to make fully comp more desirable as people think it’s a better deal but if you have a *****y fire and theft and you crash you are not covered for **** so why would you ever want that... if you got injured you get **** all. I think fully comp policies should be the minimum cover legally allowed on uk roads. Still allow fire and theft policies though as they aren’t bad at all.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Bossinit)
Yep, basically they are trying to drive out third party fire and theft policy’s because they are basically so **** and people are really not giving themselves decent cover. During training I was told that they try to make fully comp more desirable as people think it’s a better deal but if you have a *****y fire and theft and you crash you are not covered for **** so why would you ever want that... if you got injured you get **** all. I think fully comp policies should be the minimum cover legally allowed on uk roads. Still allow fire and theft policies though as they aren’t bad at all.
I really don't get your logic.
Rodgav
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, who was the insurer she went with, mine just got cancelled for the same reasons on friday
MrCole&Co
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Rodgav)
Hi, who was the insurer she went with, mine just got cancelled for the same reasons on friday

Unluckyyyyyyy
lOSLEONAS
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi What if your insurance has said it will cancel in 7 days and you cancel before that, would it still go on your record?
lOSLEONAS
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi What if your insurance has said it will cancel in 7 days and you cancel before that, would it still go on your record?
Johmon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

Check Endsleigh - they do student car insurance with significant discounts
If that doesn't work for you, try searching:
confused.com
gocompare.com
www.moneysupermarket.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
You must of been speeding quite high, i am guessing 80-100MPH because the max I have speeded was 60MPH in a 40 and I have done that 3 times and I only got 2 warnings and 1 low score but my overall score was still 8/10 with smoothness being 10/10, speed 10/10 and usage was 0/10 because I drive at all times so I never god the score high for that. Either way I am quite curious to know what speed you were going
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (216)
60%
No (144)
40%

Watched Threads