Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did Population Change, Changing Urban Environments and Tourism.

Population change:

What is natural population change?
    Births and deaths are natural causes of population change. The difference between the birth rate and the death rate of a country or place is called the natural increase.

For the Afghanistan and Mexico one, I said that the proportion of elderly dependants in A was a lot lower than M. Also, I said that M had a lower amount of people who are young 0-4, A had more....

Stage 5 of the DTM would have a a heavy top pyramid. Not a lot of young people in comparison to the elderly... an ageing population is clear.

Migration question. Afghanistan arrow should be 4mm in width and point to ANY EU country.

Pattern.. I wasn't really sure, but I think it was all origin countries are south of destinations i.e. all asylum seekers went North, I said Syria had the most amount of asylum seekers (70,000) All went to EU countries relatively close to the country of origin (excluding Afghanistan)

For impacts of receiving country:
    POSITIVE- I said that increased workforce and filled gaps in the labour market. increased birth rate also balances again population.

NEGATIVES- strain on healthcare services and also competition for jobs.

8 MARKER- CHINA

I said since 1990s- changes were made to accommodate for the fact that it was difficult to control in rural areas, and also, the gender imbalance as a result of the policy made china relax in slightly so that if couple's first child was a girl, the second child could be born. But now due to the ageing population- in 2015, the policy was stopped and couples could have 2 children, in order for the country to further develop economically and not be impacted by the elderly.

Changing Urban Environments:

Why does rapid urbanisation cause air pollution?
    - Badly built, inefficient factories produce a lot of pollutants.
    - High rate of rural-urban migration means lots of cars- so a lot of exhausts.
    -narrow streets aka bad infrastructure means a lot of congestion- idling engines produce a lot of exhausts

"Water pollutants graph"
    -every pollutant is over the WHO recommended value, so each pollutant could cause serious health risks to those in a community.
    -They could run into rivers, kill marine life
    -these fish are eaten so we could contract the disease.
    -water supplies in general are contaminated. E.coli is life threatening...

What is ethnic segregation?
    Ethnic segregation is the enforced or voluntary residential separation of two or more groups on the basis of cultural identity...... NOT MY DEFINITION.

Why does it occur?
    -safety in numbers.
    -same language
    -near the same place of worship
    -same economic situation- so same area of affordable housing.

Graph of Chicago- worked from South to north- just described the dominant ethnic group in each area, central Chicago, coast of Chicago.. just in general. Distributed around main roads too.

8 MARKER- urban areas in richer countries require planning to improve their environment.

I didn't know if Curitiba in Brazil was rich??? But I also put BED-ZED.
    CURITIBA- required careful planning of 200km of bike routes- planning of bus lanes-it was successful- reduced air pollution- Also, took a while to plan 1000 parks with over 1.5 million trees- which conserves the environment.
    BED-ZED- planning of houses facing the South- so maximum solar energy gained- contributes to the carbon neutral nature of the homes... + triple glazed windows planned to reduce energy loss... etc.

Tourism:

Graph, should complete the solid line and dashed line... solid to 98 on the y axis, dashed to 54 on the y axis.

Why have some countries seen a growth in visitors?
    - Terrorism in other places
    - Ease of booking holidays
    - more disposable income
    etc..

Why does tourism have differing economic importance in contrasting parts of the world?
    - e.g. Kenya -15%- due to not being as developed as some countries, so has less sectors contributing to the total income, so tourism plays an important part.
    -e.g. UK- 3%- it is a highly developed country with many sectors such as trade, manufacturing, so although it receives more money from tourism, it doesn't make up as large of a proportion of the total income.

How can people benefit from ecotourism scheme?
    -Children can go to school, receive an education.
    - Income has increased- better standard of living.
    -healthcare improved- higher life expectancy.

How can ecotourism be used in order to manage the environment sustainably?
    -No logging- more trees due to their importance in attracting tourists- more for future generations.
    - Less tourists- reduced impact on environment plus, rate at which resources are used are lowered, thus more for the future
    - Locals appreciate their way of life more, so are eager to conserve the area.

Why does this "picture" help to explain the attraction of extreme environments/tourism?

-ice climbing as an activity
    -change in setting- white unspoilt landscapes.
    -the cold could appeal to thrill seekers, especially camping in the cold.

8 MARKER- To what extent to you agree that an extreme environment is coping the development of its tourism industry? I did ANTARCTICA.

-Partially agree:
    -IAATO set up guidelines to reduce impact e.g 100 on the shore- stick to the tour path- no flash photography to disturb nesting sites- no littering- ships must not use heavy fuel oil - no hotel building- no dumping of waste water...

However... oil spills are still going to happen, and introduction to non-native diseases by species on land is inevitable.

(sorry for any typos)

PUT ALL IMPROVEMENTS DOWN BELOW!

Fox Corner

ReputationRep:
    You've done really well.

i was unsure about the Urban 8 marker too. I did the London Docklands and BedZed.

ReputationRep:
    thanks so much! lol xi hated that 8 marker...

ReputationRep:
    Apart from me doing 1 child policy in China, I think I got everything else right.
    I think I can get 4+3 on the population 8 marker, I accounted for everything in great detail, and used the right techniques and answered the question, just the wrong case study

But it's all good right now, nothing surprising has came up in this mark scheme which looks mostly correct.

ReputationRep:
    For Urban 8 marker: Canary Wharf/Hulme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alixwfoster)

Population change:

Births and deaths are natural causes of population change. The difference between the birth rate and the death rate of a country or place is called the natural increase.

For the Afghanistan and Mexico one, I said that the proportion of elderly dependants in A was a lot lower than M. Also, I said that M had a lower amount of people who are young 0-4, A had more....

Stage 5 of the DTM would have a a heavy top pyramid. Not a lot of young people in comparison to the elderly... an ageing population is clear.

Migration question. Afghanistan arrow should be 4mm in width and point to ANY EU country.

Pattern.. I wasn't really sure, but I think it was all origin countries are south of destinations i.e. all asylum seekers went North, I said Syria had the most amount of asylum seekers (70,000) All went to EU countries relatively close to the country of origin (excluding Afghanistan)

POSITIVE- I said that increased workforce and filled gaps in the labour market. increased birth rate also balances again population.

8 MARKER- CHINA

I said since 1990s- changes were made to accommodate for the fact that it was difficult to control in rural areas, and also, the gender imbalance as a result of the policy made china relax in slightly so that if couple's first child was a girl, the second child could be born. But now due to the ageing population- in 2015, the policy was stopped and couples could have 2 children, in order for the country to further develop economically and not be impacted by the elderly.

-narrow streets aka bad infrastructure means a lot of congestion- idling engines produce a lot of exhausts

"Water pollutants graph"
    -every pollutant is over the WHO recommended value, so each pollutant could cause serious health risks to those in a community.

Ethnic segregation is the enforced or voluntary residential separation of two or more groups on the basis of cultural identity...... NOT MY DEFINITION.

Why does it occur?
    -safety in numbers.
    -same language

Graph of Chicago- worked from South to north- just described the dominant ethnic group in each area, central Chicago, coast of Chicago.. just in general. Distributed around main roads too.

8 MARKER- urban areas in richer countries require planning to improve their environment.

CURITIBA- required careful planning of 200km of bike routes- planning of bus lanes-it was successful- reduced air pollution- Also, took a while to plan 1000 parks with over 1.5 million trees- which conserves the environment.
    BED-ZED- planning of houses facing the South- so maximum solar energy gained- contributes to the carbon neutral nature of the homes... + triple glazed windows planned to reduce energy loss... etc.

Tourism:

Graph, should complete the solid line and dashed line... solid to 98 on the y axis, dashed to 54 on the y axis.

- more disposable income
    etc..

Why does tourism have differing economic importance in contrasting parts of the world?
    - e.g. Kenya -15%- due to not being as developed as some countries, so has less sectors contributing to the total income, so tourism plays an important part.
    -e.g. UK- 3%- it is a highly developed country with many sectors such as trade, manufacturing, so although it receives more money from tourism, it doesn't make up as large of a proportion of the total income.

-No logging- more trees due to their importance in attracting tourists- more for future generations.
    - Less tourists- reduced impact on environment plus, rate at which resources are used are lowered, thus more for the future

Why does this "picture" help to explain the attraction of extreme environments/tourism?

8 MARKER- To what extent to you agree that an extreme environment is coping the development of its tourism industry? I did ANTARCTICA.

-Partially agree:
    -IAATO set up guidelines to reduce impact e.g 100 on the shore- stick to the tour path- no flash photography to disturb nesting sites- no littering- ships must not use heavy fuel oil - no hotel building- no dumping of waste water...

However... oil spills are still going to happen, and introduction to non-native diseases by species on land is inevitable.

(sorry for any typos)

is it fine if I only did positive ways of coping in antarctica just claiming it copes very effectively

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanjith Hegde123)
    Apart from me doing 1 child policy in China, I think I got everything else right.
    I think I can get 4+3 on the population 8 marker, I accounted for everything in great detail, and used the right techniques and answered the question, just the wrong case study

But it's all good right now, nothing surprising has came up in this mark scheme which looks mostly correct.
    okay that's reassuring thank you! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retslick)
    is it fine if I only did positive ways of coping in antarctica just claiming it copes very effectively
    Yes that's fine! As long as you backed it up! x

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared to look at the mark scheme. I think I failed quite badly.

ReputationRep:
    did anyone do development gap??

ReputationRep:
    Nice markscheme! I've added this to the Unofficial Markscheme list

ReputationRep:

Population change:

8 MARKER- CHINA

"Water pollutants graph"

Why does it occur?
    -safety in numbers.
    -same language

Tourism:

- more disposable income
    etc..

-Partially agree:

(sorry for any typos)

Fox Corner
    I did for urban environments: China and Curitiba-------However I only mentioned from Curitiba.

ReputationRep:

Population change:

8 MARKER- CHINA

"Water pollutants graph"

Why does it occur?
    -safety in numbers.
    -same language

Tourism:

- more disposable income
    etc..

-Partially agree:

(sorry for any typos)

Fox Corner
    What do you reckon the grade boundaries will be (for A* mainly)?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I feel so dumb. So in class I learnt about population change, urbanisation and tourism. However I got confused with the changing urban environments section and answer the questions for rural-urban environments instead as I saw relatable questions such as ' what is urban sprawl'. It went ok, until I got to the 8 marker, the question of which was "explain human influences on commercial farming", when I realised I had answered the wrong section. I didn't have enough time to retrace and answer the correct section, so I gave it ago.

I wrote about how the media provides more coverage on animal cruelty, so farmers have to improve animal standards, how people want organic produce, how people want to decrease carbon footprints and also something about green belts in a last minute desperate attempt to gain some marks. I also made up a case study, my case study being about a farm in Devon.

I am getting really worked up about this because I am working towards an A*, so am upset at how I have probably blown my chances. But can anyone who may have done this section, tell me whether I will get any marks

ReputationRep:
    For the 8 marker on tourism, I was saying about the Antarctic and how it's getting more popular. But what I actually meant was the Arctic. I got all of it right except I called the Arctic the Antarctic. Do you think they'll just deduct one or two marks as I went into detail I just made a common mistake? How many marks out of 8 are possible now? 5, 6, 7, 8?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    Nice markscheme! I've added this to the Unofficial Markscheme list
    THANKS SO MUCH! Fox Corner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrison.B 15)
    I'm scared to look at the mark scheme. I think I failed quite badly.
    I bet you didn't! Also, these are MY answers and so they are not necessarily correct. With geography, the answers can range hugely and you would still get full marks... especially with all the different case studies that you can learn! Hope it goes well for you on results day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banshee123)
    What do you reckon the grade boundaries will be (for A* mainly)?
    hmmm. Not quite sure, but maybe around 61/62 for an a*? Grade boundaries are often pretty low!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshdun)
    Guys, I feel so dumb. So in class I learnt about population change, urbanisation and tourism. However I got confused with the changing urban environments section and answer the questions for rural-urban environments instead as I saw relatable questions such as ' what is urban sprawl'. It went ok, until I got to the 8 marker, the question of which was "explain human influences on commercial farming", when I realised I had answered the wrong section. I didn't have enough time to retrace and answer the correct section, so I gave it ago.

I wrote about how the media provides more coverage on animal cruelty, so farmers have to improve animal standards, how people want organic produce, how people want to decrease carbon footprints and also something about green belts in a last minute desperate attempt to gain some marks. I also made up a case study, my case study being about a farm in Devon.

I am getting really worked up about this because I am working towards an A*, so am upset at how I have probably blown my chances. But can anyone who may have done this section, tell me whether I will get any marks
    Hey. I'm looking at the CGP geog A revision guide, and what you mentioned seems pretty relevant to this section! Also, grade boundaries are quite low, you could lose 25 marks and still get an a*, which is basically the whole section. Plus you said you gave it a go, so you probably got at least 18 marks or so! Don't worry about it. If you do get an A, it's still highly respectable! Best of luck for the rest of your exams.

ReputationRep:
    what do you think the grade boundaries will be for this paper?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.