The Student Room Group

CfE Higher Physics 2017/18

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by dude101010
how do u calculate the initial rate of discharge of a capacitor?? is there a formula?

You use V=IR for discharging with changing the switch
https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/nl/coltnesshsscience/files/2015/11/2000-H-marking-instructions.pdf
See for 21.c) I don’t understand how h was calculated! Won’t the calculation done show the maximum height how is that the height of h!!?!! Could someone please explain this to me
Reply 42
Original post by Maryam P
https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/nl/coltnesshsscience/files/2015/11/2000-H-marking-instructions.pdf
See for 21.c) I don’t understand how h was calculated! Won’t the calculation done show the maximum height how is that the height of h!!?!! Could someone please explain this to me

h is the maximum height! It’s just a poor diagram I think
Original post by Maryam P

No. The time taken for the coin to reach height h is also the time for the coin to travel a horizontal distance of 2.8 m, hence why at t = 0.8 s the coin has travelled 2.8 m horizontally and has a vertical displacement of h, if that makes sense.
Reply 44
Calculate the energy released when 0.20kg of hydrogen is converted to helium by this reactor, I don’t want to get the answer since I have not enough information, I just want to get the general layout of this question please.

Radium-224 mass 3.720*10^-25, radon-220 mass 3.653*10^-25, Alpha mass 6.645*10^-27.
Before the decay the radium-224 nucleus is at rest.
After decay the alpha particle moves off with a velocity of 1.460*10^7 m/s.
Calculate the velocity of the radon-220 nucleus after the decay, can you also give me a general layout of question and how to answer this question please.
Hi, could someone help me with questions 5 from the 2017 paper in multiple, l can seem to get it right and figure out what I'm doing wrong
Original post by Nimrah_M
Hi, could someone help me with questions 5 from the 2017 paper in multiple, l can seem to get it right and figure out what I'm doing wrong

It's simply Hubble's law:
v=H0dv=H_0d
where v = 0.3 * speed of light and H_0 is whatever the constant is
Original post by Edgemaster
It's simply Hubble's law:
v=H0dv=H_0d
where v = 0.3 * speed of light and H_0 is whatever the constant is

thanks so much, if you have time could you go over question 10 and 15
Original post by Nimrah_M
thanks so much, if you have time could you go over question 10 and 15

We can calculate the energy of each photon of the ultraviolent radiation using E = hf.
If the max kinetic energy of the election released is 2.67e-19 J, then the work function will be: W = hf - E_k.

Irradiance is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source (read why here), so
I=kd2I = \frac{k}{d^2}
where k is a constant. Note that k will be constant even for different light sources and distances. Rearranging for k,
I1d12=k=I2d22I_1 {d_1}^2 = k = I_2 {d_2}^2
The question gives distance 1, irradiance 1, and then distance 2. Sub those in and solve for irradiance 2.
(edited 6 years ago)
Can anyone help me with question 7c (i) from section B of the 2017 past paper. I don't seem to have any theory on the force mediating particles and struggle on answering this question. Ta very much :smile:
Original post by The Radiographer
Can anyone help me with question 7c (i) from section B of the 2017 past paper. I don't seem to have any theory on the force mediating particles and struggle on answering this question. Ta very much :smile:

Quarks make up neutrons and protons (among other things.)Basically, a nucleus and his components are held together by strong nuclear force and you can remember this by thinking nuclear-nucleus, they sound the same right? With the force-mediating particle, you just have to remember them, for example, the gluon is the force-mediating particle for strong nuclear force.
Reply 51
Untitled.png
How do I approach this question, someone please helps me asap.
Reply 52
Untitled.png
Can anyone help me with part c of the question thanks. Please answer asap.
How much do we need to know about particle accelerators?
Reply 54
Can anyone explain how to answer questions 8b)i) and ii) in the 2017 Higher Physics paper, even with looking at the answers I am still stuck, any help would be much appreciated :smile: https://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/papers/2017/NH_Physics_all_2017.pdf
Reply 55
Original post by tm04
Can anyone explain how to answer questions 8b)i) and ii) in the 2017 Higher Physics paper, even with looking at the answers I am still stuck, any help would be much appreciated :smile: https://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/papers/2017/NH_Physics_all_2017.pdf

Hey, for 8bi, you use the right hand rule:
Thumb - Force
Index Finger - Magnetic Field
Middle Finger - Electron Current (direction Electron is moving)
So since the Electron is initially travelling to the right, the middle finger points to the right. Whilst moving right in R, the Electron goes slightly upwards (this is the force) so the thump points upwards. Therefore this should result in the index finger pointing towards you so the answer is out off the page.
Use the same strategy to get the first mark of 8bii. For the next mark I’m not 100% sure but I think there’s a stronger magnetic field in S due to a larger force??? Not too sure but hope this helps.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by tm04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuUMUvwvML8
Reply 57
Original post by Joker62
Hey, for 8bi, you use the right hand rule:
Thumb - Force
Index Finger - Magnetic Field
Middle Finger - Electron Current (direction Electron is moving)
So since the Electron is initially travelling to the right, the middle finger points to the right. Whilst moving right in R, the Electron goes slightly upwards (this is the force) so the thump points upwards. Therefore this should result in the index finger pointing towards you so the answer is out off the page.
Use the same strategy to get the first mark of 8bii. For the next mark I’m not 100% sure but I think there’s a stronger magnetic field in S due to a larger force??? Not too sure but hope this helps.

Thank you so much that makes so much more sense from what I was trying to do!! Thanks for the great explanation!
Reply 58

Thank you for the link, never come across Khan Academy before but they seem really good will definitely be watching more of theses before the exam!
Original post by Hey234
Untitled.png

never seen this question, how to do it?

We don't do op-amps in the new CfE curriculum- just
ignore these types of questions if you see them on old NQ past papers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending