Any help with this Sociology ten marker?

Watch this thread
Lauhaz
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Analyse two reasons why Willis' work would appear to support the Correspondense Principle?

Thanks in advance for any replies
Quirky Object
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lauhaz)
Analyse two reasons why Willis' work would appear to support the Correspondense Principle?

Thanks in advance for any replies
Are you clear on what the correspondence principle is and what the gist of Willis' commentary on education is, first of all?

I'm not too sure about Willis' other work (though since he was a vocal Marxist it probably contains many similar themes) but Learning to Labour was essentially a study of social reproduction in education and the ways in which working-class/proletarian students' rebellion against the "civilising" and theoretical aspects of education (I believe he termed it "counter-school culture") mirrors and is conducive to these students becoming the next generation of the working class. This rebellion is also, according to Willis, a (albeit weak) sign of class consciousness. Can you see the links between this and correspondence theory?
Lauhaz
Rep:
(Original post by Sonechka)
Are you clear on what the correspondence principle is and what the gist of Willis' commentary on education is, first of all?

I'm not too sure about Willis' other work (though since he was a vocal Marxist it probably contains many similar themes) but Learning to Labour was essentially a study of social reproduction in education and the ways in which working-class/proletarian students' rebellion against the "civilising" and theoretical aspects of education (I believe he termed it "counter-school culture" mirrors and is conducive to these students becoming the next generation of the working class. This rebellion is also, according to Willis, a (albeit weak) sign of class consciousness. Can you see the links between this and correspondence theory?
I fully understand Willis' work as a Neo-Marxist and all the details of his Learning to Labour research, and I also understand how this may support Corresponse theory in that the 'lads' in Willis' study are prepared in school for their lives as labourers, being oppressed into the proletariat. However I don't know how to make two solid and separate points on this for a ten marker..?
Quirky Object
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I fully understand Willis' work as a Neo-Marxist and all the details of his Learning to Labour research, and I also understand how this may support Corresponse theory in that the 'lads' in Willis' study are prepared in school for their lives as labourers, being oppressed into the proletariat. However I don't know how to make two solid and separate points on this for a ten marker..?
Ok; there are different ways to approach this but I'd do it like this:
(1) Willis notes that the "lads" come to idolise manual work and disparage the more theoretical material which they learn in school. This is an example of the bourgeois education system preparing them for their future economic roles in that they are taught to prefer the kind of work they will do in the future and thus to prefer their own subordination.
(2) The "lads" oppose and rebel against the culture and system of their school. This mirrors the discontent of the proletariat and represents a sort of class consciousness since the "lads" are aware that schooling is against their interests, though like the class consciousness of the contemporary (1977) proletariat, it is faint and not realised in a revolutionary form.

You could also talk about how their disdain for the theoretical teaching of the future bourgeoisie mirrors class antagonisms under capitalism or the parallels between proletarian alienation (in the technical sense) and the alienation of the "lads", but I think it's interesting to juxtapose the apparent acceptance of capitalism in point (1) with the apparent class consciousness in point (2).
Lauhaz
Rep:
(Original post by Sonechka)
Ok; there are different ways to approach this but I'd do it like this:
(1) Willis notes that the "lads" come to idolise manual work and disparage the more theoretical material which they learn in school. This is an example of the bourgeois education system preparing them for their future economic roles in that they are taught to prefer the kind of work they will do in the future and thus to prefer their own subordination.
(2) The "lads" oppose and rebel against the culture and system of their school. This mirrors the discontent of the proletariat and represents a sort of class consciousness since the "lads" are aware that schooling is against their interests, though like the class consciousness of the contemporary (1977) proletariat, it is faint and not realised in a revolutionary form.

You could also talk about how their disdain for the theoretical teaching of the future bourgeoisie mirrors class antagonisms under capitalism or the parallels between proletarian alienation (in the technical sense) and the alienation of the "lads", but I think it's interesting to juxtapose the apparent acceptance of capitalism in point (1) with the apparent class consciousness in point (2).
Thank you! I like the point about alienation! I have this exam today so at least if this comes up I'm safe now!
Quirky Object
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thank you! I like the point about alienation! I have this exam today so at least if this comes up I'm safe now!
Good luck!
exams 17
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hey how did you guys find the papers??
Lauhaz
Rep:
(Original post by exams 17)
Hey how did you guys find the papers??
I feel like I struggled with them more than everyone else, just because the wording was quite strange, so if the grade boundaries are high I have no hope
exams 17
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I'm sure you did great! Don't worry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (18)
30.51%
Take a gap year (14)
23.73%
Resit my exams (9)
15.25%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (8)
13.56%
I don't know yet (7)
11.86%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.08%

Watched Threads