rs1999
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
As part of the Education paper there is a section on research methods a 20 and 10 marker. The 20 mark I fully understand but the 10 mark question is confusing me. I'm not exactly sure what the things the question could ask will be, as in the specimen paper its on 'sociology as a science'. Can anyone clarify what could be in it or how best to answer it?? thanks
franfanara
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The question is more focused on the theory of method's so interpretivism and positivism, and obviously it could simply be a question asking about methods.

Either way, you're gonna need to know those two sides, and a lot of points in which you'll make can be linked to the major theories like functionalism but the question won't be focused around that.

So i don't think you need to study the depth that you would for paper three when regarding theories but it is still relevant x
rs1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by franfanara)
The question is more focused on the theory of method's so interpretivism and positivism, and obviously it could simply be a question asking about methods.

Either way, you're gonna need to know those two sides, and a lot of points in which you'll make can be linked to the major theories like functionalism but the question won't be focused around that.

So i don't think you need to study the depth that you would for paper three when regarding theories but it is still relevant x
Okay so is it only going to be about positivism and interpretivsim, not including social action theory, feminism, marxism, functionalism or whatever else that could come up in the crime one x
franfanara
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rs1999)
Okay so is it only going to be about positivism and interpretivsim, not including social action theory, feminism, marxism, functionalism or whatever else that could come up in the crime one x
Not specifically no, but it doesn't mean you can't include them.

If you can apply the question to a theory like that it is a high level skill. Such as how Durkheim is a functionalist and used experiments to compare suicide rates. thats' a positivist method that has been used by a functionalist.

i hope that helps
rs1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by franfanara)
Not specifically no, but it doesn't mean you can't include them.

If you can apply the question to a theory like that it is a high level skill. Such as how Durkheim is a functionalist and used experiments to compare suicide rates. thats' a positivist method that has been used by a functionalist.

i hope that helps
Thank you very much, I'm still confused as many people are saying we could get asked question on the A2 content as its a 2 year course
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (76)
23.75%
No (244)
76.25%

Watched Threads