Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    please give me advice
    i feel so de-motivated and feel like ive acheived nothing

few days ago i got my results i got AAAA to do pure economics at LSE.
    for which i worked very hard for

as u can guess from my name i asian
    i was telling my family and relatives that i got into lse to do eco(which i am was proud of) but all family just think that the only two good courses are medicine and engineering
    so when i told them that im doing eco at lse they were like " i am sorry didnt you get a seat for engineering anywhere" (even though i dont want to do engineering.
    and they were saying never mind im sure u can find a job as a receptionist or u can stay at home as a housewife!!!!!!!
    i tried to explain that economics is (esp at lse) quite a respected course but they still thought that i picked that cos i could hack med or eng[!]

and to make it worst i got an older sis who wanted to do med but unfortunately didnt get the grades so is doing biomedical sciences.
    but my parents just tell everyone that she's doing medicine.
    so now they are also saying "well at least one daughter is clever" when it is totally wrong
    i did maths, Fmaths, chem, eco and worked vary hard to get my A's and now it seems that i havent achieved anything

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't matter what your parant think in fack mine doexn't want me to go to uni but im.

as long as your happy and will be with doing this course for the job u like, i say go for it. even if it mean u don't have much contact with faimly at the end of the day if u wana make it happen then u do anything to do it, with out looking back.

i hope i was some help

ReputationRep:
    Without being disrespectful, your parents/relatives have a skewed sense of reality. You've achieved fantastic grades, and are going to highly respected university.

You'll amount to much more than a housewife/receptionist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pooja3d)
    please give me advice

i was telling my family and relatives that i got into lse to do eco(which i am was proud of) but all family just think that the only two good courses are medicine and engineering
    so when i told them that im doing eco at lse they were like " i am sorry didnt you get a seat for engineering anywhere" (even though i dont want to do engineering.
    and they were saying never mind im sure u can find a job as a receptionist or u can stay at home as a housewife!!!!!!!
    i tried to explain that economics is (esp at lse) quite a respected course but they still thought that i picked that cos i could hack med or eng[!]

and to make it worst i got an older sis who wanted to do med but unfortunately didnt get the grades so is doing biomedical sciences.
    so now they are also saying "well at least one daughter is clever" when it is totally wrong
    i did maths, Fmaths, chem, eco and worked vary hard to get my A's and now it seems that i havent achieved anything
    Hey, you did really well. Don't let anyone take that away from you. Your doing a really good course at a top Uni, which is going to open paths for you.

Just because someone else wants you to be a doctor etc doesn't mean you have to be. At the end of the day, it's all about what you want to be.

ReputationRep:
    They are phenomenal grades, and you should be extra proud of yourself, especially gaining a place at such a prestigious university as LSE.
    I'm afraid sometimes comments like these come from a lack of knowledge and even ignorance. Your family don't understand how how hard you have worked. All i can say is, as long as you feel proud within yourself, ignore ths stupid comments.
    Your sister has done well too, and you both deserve success, if anything i would use these stupid, ignorant comments to drive and motivate myself even more. At the end you will be the successful student, with a high class degree and a good, comfortable job.
    At best, you can try and talk to your parents and tel them how upsetting it is, to hear such comments and they may understand. If they do not listen, then carry on, at the end of the day it's you that is doing the degree, and no one person should make you do something you do not. I would rather do soemthing i enjoyed with people quarreling over what i am doing, than do something i hate and which others enjoy.
    GK - well done!

ReputationRep:
    please give me advice

I understand you completely hun, Im sorta asian, and most of my cousins are doing medicine, pharmacy or business (typical asian courses), and everyones like to me, youve got the brains why dont u do medicine. But I was like I dont enjoy biology and chemistry, and psychology is summit I really enjoy. Infact I actually wanted to be a dancer or an artist, and my parents didnt want me to do them for GCSE's, but I did, I did Art, Dance and Drama, and I got A's in them. People just dont understand how hard it is living in an asian family, cos most of the things you wanna do you are not allowed. But I am happy now with doing psychology, so its ok, although I would have loved to do Art.
    Just dont feel rejected, you got all A's thats so brill, well done!!!!!
    And do what you wish, as long as its not totally going behind ure parents back. U can speak to me if you wnat to personally, just pm me.

ReputationRep:
    just tell your parents that after you have got your economics degree you will apply for medicine

ReputationRep:
    Aww, Alec, thanks for the rep, sorry to overtake this thread! It was something i said about Dazya, and my rep suddenly took a plunge :rolleyes: , even though i didnt actually say anything bad?

Yes, you should be so proud of your results. I understand the situation, my family is for some reason not overly pleased with me wanting to go to university, and when your family is not totally behind you, it does make you feel very confused as to what to do.
    Anyway, medicine is a respectable career, but it isn't the only respected path, and subjects such as economics are excellent too, especially if you enjoy it, and are totally motivated to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma.....)
    Aww, Alec, thanks for the rep, sorry to overtake this thread! It was something i said about Dazya, and my rep suddenly took a plunge :rolleyes: , even though i didnt actually say anything bad?
    same here.

ReputationRep:
    ''pooja'' doesnt seem to be replying.
    she may be a troll

ReputationRep:
    If i got 4 As in those subjects and got into LSE, my parents would be very happy and supportive.

Do your parents understand that you got into one of the best universities to do one of the best courses?! :confused: ...in reality you cant really get better than what youve acheived.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone
    i know that eco can lead to a decent career and i tried to convince them
    ive showed them the www.prospects.ac.uk site
    but theyve just got that fixed in their head
    i dont even know why they think engineering is a good course to do
    doesnt engineering have low demand
    plus ive never even liked bio, chem for me to follow med
    they think cos its a business type course that its easy
    like the other day when i was speaking to my uncle he was surprised (and didnt believe) that eco had maths like integration in it. he said "its just a economics course the most maths you'll probably use is addition and percentages for book keeping

thats why sometimes i think that maybe i should have just done engineering (i did do maths , further maths , chem)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    If i got 4 As in those subjects and got into LSE, my parents would be very happy and supportive.

Do your parents understand that you got into one of the best universities to do one of the best courses?! :confused: ...in reality you cant really get better than what youve acheived.
    her parents dont understand that :confused:
    they would'nt of minded if she had got CCC and done Engineering though :confused:

ReputationRep:

I thought the exact thing. Without being disrespectful i think it is a stereotypical thing in indian families to want their children to be doctors and lawyers. For example, many of my friends are indian, and their parents do not like them doing anything other than medicine, or whatever they consider "respectful". It is very peculiar, as pooja has achieved a tremendous amount, LSE is a very prestigious university for economics, hence it's title! I think people that say "Do medicine" or whatever are just very ignorant or lack the knowledge to understand anything other than medicine.

GK...

ReputationRep:
    i know that i should probably just ignore them but after i worked soo hard at alevels i wanted some recognition

like when i told my uncle that i got 4 A's . he said thats good but your course is commerce and not science isnt?
    even though 3 out of 4 alevels were ( Maths, Fmaths, chem, eco)

ReputationRep:
    i know that i should probably just ignore them but after i worked soo hard at alevels i wanted some recognition

like when i told my uncle that i got 4 A's . he said thats good but your course is commerce and not science isnt?
    even though 3 out of 4 alevels were ( Maths, Fmaths, chem, eco)
    I wouldn't even blink an eyelid, that sort of comment is just very ignorant, either that or it is just a lack of knowledge about what you are taking. Some people probably do not mean anything by it, they just do not understand as well as us. To be honest, as lnog as YOU know what YOU have gained, and understand what you are doing, forget everyone else. It's easy to say, but you will be a much better person if you can block out silly comments.

ReputationRep:
    please give me advice

im sorry but that is very unfair to to you!!! its ur choice to do something that you choose, u shudnt have ur parents ordering u around, and they should respect your choice of wanting to do economics.
    the best thing to do is to avea conversation with ur parents agen and explain that u dnt like those subjects and they have to respect ur choice cz ur nt changing ur mind.
    were ur parents treeated like that by their parents? maybe they got a reputation to keep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ...GiNuWiNe...)
    were ur parents treeated like that by their parents? maybe they got a reputation to keep?
    i dont understand how doing something like medicine, instead of economics or art is is going to uphold a 'reputation'. I find that asians have the whole 'reputation' and 'honor' mentality...its very tribal, no one else holds this mentality...i think they should drop it.

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand how doing something like medicine, instead of economics or art is is going to uphold a 'reputation'. I find that asians have the whole 'reputation' and 'honor' mentality...its very tribal, no one else holds this mentality...i think they should drop it.
    I totally agree, it's rather strange, and anyway going into medicine does not necessarily make you respected, in any career you have to earn respect.
    I'm not sure where the idea comes form. Maybe because medicine or law etc is believed to have lots and lots of money in it? :rolleyes: I don't know!

ReputationRep:
    please give me advice

Do you have a teacher that you trust who could speak to your parents and explain to them your excellent achievment? Are there any Indian economists that you know?

If I were you, I would not listen to them and just leave for the LSE. It is your life. However, I am not Indian, so I cannot relate to the pressures that are forced to you. Good luck.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.