The Student Room Group

Are BTEC courses bad?

Are they bad? I was tempted to do criminology but everyone is saying that BTEC courses are for the 'dumb' students and universities do not like them. Just to add if it helps, I got A*'s, A's and B's in my mocks and I was advised to do subjects like maths, physics etc. although I really don't enjoy them.
Do you want to do the BTEC?! THEN GO AND DO IT! :biggrin:
People will say whatever they want but at the end of the day, it's your goddamn life. If you want to do BTEC and it will also take you to doing criminology then why should you care? Just do you whatever you desire. I'm ten times better at coursework so i'm going to also choose Btec. Even if i did get 10 A*s.
Original post by Traore
Are they bad? I was tempted to do criminology but everyone is saying that BTEC courses are for the 'dumb' students and universities do not like them. Just to add if it helps, I got A*'s, A's and B's in my mocks and I was advised to do subjects like maths, physics etc. although I really don't enjoy them.

Despite the stigma behind it, BTEC isnt 'bad'
I do a BTEC and have been given offers from unis so they obviously arent terrible. Maybe you could do a BTEC along with an a-level if you want to be on the safe side.
Original post by Traore

If u plan on going to a top uni, then I probably wouldn't do btec. But there are quite a few decent unis which accept btecs for ABB courses so might be easier.
Reply 4
I did a BTEC and I have just finished my Bachelors and starting my Masters in September.

BTEC for me was great and really drives work ethic combined with real vocational skills which I have found especially beneficial for gaining work experience and internships.
Reply 5
I was going to do psychology, sociology and then I'm undecided on my 3rd subject.

Quick Reply

Latest