BrainJuice
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I don't know what they do in the first step of question 2 (last part of it). To be honest I don't know why they use 2000 either.

Can you please help. Thank you for reading and in advance if you can and do help.

Paper: http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...%20A-level.pdf

MarkScheme: http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...%20A-level.pdf
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
When we increase the area of something, we reduce resistance. The strands are all arranged like this for contortion purposes and not to allow individual transmission of electricity.

Thus, the area of the total strand is approx 38 times the area of each strand, and hence since resistivity is the same the total resistance per km will be 1/38th the resistance of each strand.

Hope I helped!
BrainJuice
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Callicious)
When we increase the area of something, we reduce resistance. The strands are all arranged like this for contortion purposes and not to allow individual transmission of electricity.

Thus, the area of the total strand is approx 38 times the area of each strand, and hence since resistivity is the same the total resistance per km will be 1/38th the resistance of each strand.

Hope I helped!
Thank you for your help, sorry though because I mean the last part of this question. The power one.
britishtf2
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BrainJuice)
Thank you for your help, sorry though because I mean the last part of this question. The power one.
I am assuming you are comfortable with up to part (c)(iii).
In part (ii) you worked out the number of cables needed [12 cables].
In part (iii) you worked out the energy lost per cable per kilometre [10kW].

You can use this to work out how much energy is lost in total through all of the cable:
Energy Lost = (Energy lost per kilometre of cable)*(Length of cable [in km])
= 10kW*(12*100km)
= (10*10^3)*(12)*(100)
= 12*10^6 W

The energy input to the cable is said to be 2000MW = 2000*10^6 W
Efficiency = (Useful energy out)/(Total energy In)
= 100%*((2000-12)*10^6)/(2000*10^6)
= 99.4%, as given.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.87%
Okay (109)
29.07%
A bit lacking (139)
37.07%
Not good at all (90)
24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed