whats the difference between industrial and product design courses BA

Watch
ImoHac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
most uni's offer product or industrial design in a BA never both. I was just curious if they are pretty similar and whether the courses are counted as equal in the employers eyes.
MalmoX
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't actually do any of these courses, but I have applied and got an offer for industrial design.
Industrial design mostly focuses on the aesthetics and form of the product whereas product design looks at how a product functions so, how it's built from the inside out
I hope that helps !
Ravensbourne
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ImoHac)
most uni's offer product or industrial design in a BA never both. I was just curious if they are pretty similar and whether the courses are counted as equal in the employers eyes.
Hey ImoHac,

Allow me to elaborate on what MalmoX has said. Product Design covers on what Industrial design has but in more depth.
So industrial design focuses on the concepts, aesthetics and form, manufacturing drawings and redesign for manufacturing operations.

Product design focuses on everything industrial design covers and research, product prototypes, user focused and interaction with users.(We focus on user consumers, their needs, marketing aspects and we work with users to make our product whereas industrial design is more focus on the engineering side of products.)

Are you planning on studying either one of these courses?
If you are and you're in London, you can check out Ravensbourne.
We do a Product Design course that might interest you
Click me for Product Design page!

Hope this helps you understand it more in depth.

Kay
ImoHac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Ravensbourne)
Hey ImoHac,

Allow me to elaborate on what MalmoX has said. Product Design covers on what Industrial design has but in more depth.
So industrial design focuses on the concepts, aesthetics and form, manufacturing drawings and redesign for manufacturing operations.

Product design focuses on everything industrial design covers and research, product prototypes, user focused and interaction with users.(We focus on user consumers, their needs, marketing aspects and we work with users to make our product whereas industrial design is more focus on the engineering side of products.)

Are you planning on studying either one of these courses?
If you are and you're in London, you can check out Ravensbourne.
We do a Product Design course that might interest you
Click me for Product Design page!

Hope this helps you understand it more in depth.

Kay
hey sorry for the late reply,
yeah i was considering applying for an industrial design course at loughborough, brunel, Edinburgh and falmouth. As i am taking the A levels Art, DT and geog i cant go for the BSc. i just wanted to know the difference if one was more highly sort after compared to the other, i was reading the difference between the product and industrial design courses at loughborough and there doesn't seem to much difference other than the product design course has more maths but i guess that in my favor.
ill take a look at ravensbourne thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (115)
27.45%
England (146)
34.84%
Belgium (32)
7.64%
Germany (42)
10.02%
Spain (10)
2.39%