AQA S1 Standard Deviation please help ;-;

Watch
catfanny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
LOL a bit late for this but seeing as my exams tomorrow morning
When do you divide by √n to find standard deviations?
Like in normally distributed confidence interval questions, when there is a random sample of 5, you divide the population sd by √5.
When else do you do this, and also when do you divide by just n and when do you not divide at all?
Do you do in binomial distribution with √np(1-p) eg (√np(1-p))√n ??
Alsooooooo when using scientific calculators to work out means from tables, do you use sx or σx? (STAT > (A+BX) > VAR > sx or σx???)

Thanks
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by catfanny)
LOL a bit late for this but seeing as my exams tomorrow morning
When do you divide by √n to find standard deviations?
Like in normally distributed confidence interval questions, when there is a random sample of 5, you divide the population sd by √5.
When else do you do this, and also when do you divide by just n and when do you not divide at all?
Do you do in binomial distribution with √np(1-p) eg (√np(1-p))√n ??
Alsooooooo when using scientific calculators to work out means from tables, do you use sx or σx? (STAT > (A+BX) > VAR > sx or σx???)

Thanks
I'm struggling here, I'm not sure if what you said is true.

For a normally distributed population you don't divide the sd by anything for the distribution of points, in the distribution of the mean you divide the sd by sqrtn...

Perhaps this comes from me being unfamiliar with AQA
catfanny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
I'm struggling here, I'm not sure if what you said is true.

For a normally distributed population you don't divide the sd by anything for the distribution of points, in the distribution of the mean you divide the sd by sqrtn...

Perhaps this comes from me being unfamiliar with AQA
Tbh I probably made half that stuff up in confusion, I don't think I was thinking properly last night lool so nevermind. I just did my S1 exam and all that stuff I asked was quite irrelevant too, so its calm. Thanks for trying to help tho :h:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (518)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed