The Student Room Group

dealing with anxiety in sixth form/experiences with GPs

hi all!!

yesterday I went to the doctor for the first time about my mental health. I used to have low self esteem and felt lonely a couple of years ago or more, but doing well in GCSEs helped me overcome it. this year (year 12) I saw myself get much worse, I got a job and would get anxious every morning before work and hate it, then I had a bit of an episode when I started uncontrollably crying before work, had to explain myself to my unsympathetic manager then I quit. along with this I've had constant stress, regular episodes of anxiety and periods of a few days which I would call depressive?

anyway... my inability to keep my job and struggles with motivating myself to revise etc led me to go to the doctor and he was really nice about it and understanding. however, he didn't give me the concrete diagnosis I really want... I started off with 'I think I have anxiety' and I guess he agreed with me (especially as I was shaky and then a few tears came out... eugh). however he kind of implied it was just a normal reaction to stress and told me to get counselling (he said he didn't think medication was necessary) and have a blood test. so now I'm feeling a bit lost. I'm going to try and get counselling from school but I'm a bit scared and don't even know if I want to do it. I guess I wanted to be given an answer and explanation which isn't always possible.

does anyone have similar experiences with anxiety and depression in sixth form and experiences with GPs? how are you working to overcome it??
Anxiety can emerge as a reaction to stress and, at this time of year especially, it can be difficult for a doctor to tell if it's that or something deeper. I think your GP has taken the sensible path here. A blood test to rule certain things out and counseling can help when a person is feeling stressed. Another thing to consider is that side effects from some anti-anxiety drugs may make it even more difficult for you to study and do your best in your exams so him giving you those may not have been that helpful - SSRIs such as citalopram are often prescribed for anxiety and can take a few weeks to kick in. Otherwise diazepam would provide immediate relief but isn't something you'd want to be taking while trying to study.

I would advise trying to stick it out and do your best - go to counseling, do the blood test. Maybe tell your school that you're struggling with anxiety so adjustments can be made if necessary.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
hi all!!

yesterday I went to the doctor for the first time about my mental health. I used to have low self esteem and felt lonely a couple of years ago or more, but doing well in GCSEs helped me overcome it. this year (year 12) I saw myself get much worse, I got a job and would get anxious every morning before work and hate it, then I had a bit of an episode when I started uncontrollably crying before work, had to explain myself to my unsympathetic manager then I quit. along with this I've had constant stress, regular episodes of anxiety and periods of a few days which I would call depressive?

anyway... my inability to keep my job and struggles with motivating myself to revise etc led me to go to the doctor and he was really nice about it and understanding. however, he didn't give me the concrete diagnosis I really want... I started off with 'I think I have anxiety' and I guess he agreed with me (especially as I was shaky and then a few tears came out... eugh). however he kind of implied it was just a normal reaction to stress and told me to get counselling (he said he didn't think medication was necessary) and have a blood test. so now I'm feeling a bit lost. I'm going to try and get counselling from school but I'm a bit scared and don't even know if I want to do it. I guess I wanted to be given an answer and explanation which isn't always possible.

does anyone have similar experiences with anxiety and depression in sixth form and experiences with GPs? how are you working to overcome it??

Hi there! I suffer from severe social anxiety. I dont get anxious at school but my anxiety is mainly outside school. I sometimes speak to my school counsellor about stuff that I am going through and it does help. Just speaking to someone helps! I was scared at first because I feel like no one will understand me. But you must get help, I am also in year 12 and am a really anxious person.

Quick Reply

Latest