The Student Room Group

'Step up from GCSE to A Level'...

I've finished my AS year of A-Levels. Apart from one exam.

But this whole year I've been really thinking about this whole idea that the step up from GCSE to A Level is 'huge' and 'you do a lot more work at A-Level'.

I don't mean to brag, but has anyone else found this? Finding work to do within study periods has often been really difficult, and I'd say I've worked properly in only about 20% of them.

Obviously it's dependent on loads of things, but generally, who else has felt like the 'step up' is much less than it was made out to be?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeenPolyglot

But this whole year I've been really thinking about this whole idea that the step up from GCSE to A Level is 'huge' and 'you do a lot more work at A-Level'.

I don't mean to brag, but has anyone else found this? Finding work to do within study periods has often been really difficult, and I'd say I've worked properly in only about 20% of them.

Obviously it's dependent on loads of things, but generally, who else has felt like the 'step up' is much less than it was made out to be?

I'm in year 13 but i would agree.
I think you only find it to be a huge step up if you don't also increase your work rate, if you continue to work at GCSE effort during A-levels then ofc it seems impossible.
Original post by HopelessMedic
I'm in year 13 but i would agree.
I think you only find it to be a huge step up if you don't also increase your work rate, if you continue to work at GCSE effort during A-levels then ofc it seems impossible.

That's the strange thing, you see. I haven't felt like I've had to put in any more effort than at GCSE level, and still come out with decent grades.

If anything, I have worked a lot less than at GCSE!
Subjects?
I am going to do A- Levels next year. How do I prepare myself?

Maybe it might be an idea to wait for the results before making this thread. You know, hubris and all.
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Subjects?

French, Drama, English Language and Classical Civilisation.

(It could be said that these are generally 'easy' subjects, and I most likely would be saying very different if I'd taken sciences or the maths subjects.)
Original post by Trinculo
Maybe it might be an idea to wait for the results before making this thread. You know, hubris and all.

That's very true.
French, Drama, English Language and Classical Civilisation.

(It could be said that these are generally 'easy' subjects, and I most likely would be saying very different if I'd taken sciences or the maths subjects.)

Yes there is generally a bigger gap in harder subjects ( not to say there is no gap in your subjects, there undoubtedly is)
Original post by JMR2017
I am going to do A- Levels next year. How do I prepare myself?

The best way to prepare before they start (in my experience) is to spend the summer looking at the specifications of your chosen subjects, and do a bit of reading around the topics you'll encounter. In doing so, you gain a bit of knowledge before, even if it's just a word here or a picture there, and that will be in your mind. Then you come across it again in class and it sparks your mind, making it easier to remember.

That's what helped in my experience.
It depends on your academic skill set. If you're decent all round but not particularly good at any given subject, you'd probably find A Levels much harder. On the other hand if you're not so great at some subjects but very good at a select few, you'd probably find A Levels easier (and more enjoyable).

Personally I found A Levels at least 10 times easier, since I could ditch everything except for the subjects I found very easy. Naturally A2s were then even easier than ASs. GCSEs I found very difficult.
That's the strange thing, you see. I haven't felt like I've had to put in any more effort than at GCSE level, and still come out with decent grades.

If anything, I have worked a lot less than at GCSE!

Either you are quite intelligent or were already working hard, for most people you have to work much harder at A-level than GCSE.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
It depends on your academic skill set. If you're decent all round but not particularly good at any given subject, you'd probably find A Levels much harder. On the other hand if you're not so great at some subjects but very good at a select few, you'd probably find A Levels easier (and more enjoyable).

Personally I found A Levels at least 10 times easier, since I could ditch everything except for the subjects I found very easy. Naturally A2s were then even easier than ASs. GCSEs I found very difficult.

The exact same here. I've considered it luck mainly - many of my classmates could cope easily with the multiple subjects, as they found them moderately enjoyable. I have NEVER enjoyed biology, for example, so found it incredibly difficult. Those of us who had realised early on the kind of career we want, found it harder because we were more focused on our personal interests.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Either you are quite intelligent or were already working hard, for most people you have to work much harder at A-level than GCSE.

Hopefully it's a combination of the two. I just found it really bizarre that I hadn't felt any significant change in difficulty throughout the whole year, and wondered if other people were the same.
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Yes there is generally a bigger gap in harder subjects ( not to say there is no gap in your subjects, there undoubtedly is)

Oh definitely. Classics, for example, was completely new to me, so was somewhat harder than French or English, which I'd been doing for years anyway.

It could be partly due to subject choice - thankfully, they're the more beneficial ones for me. Biology though, or Chemistry perhaps, would be like a ring of fire, so I suppose much of it is relative.

I found AS relatively easy too. But A levels are very annoying and a massive step up, because they are now linear and we need to remember both years' stuff. Currently in Y13.
agreed

you put the work in, it works out.
Original post by 123chem
I found AS relatively easy too. But A levels are very annoying and a massive step up, because they are now linear and we need to remember both years' stuff. Currently in Y13.

Our school made us do all the AS exams, so it's no different, really. But next year, it's definitely going to be ramped up, certainly.
Our school made us do all the AS exams, so it's no different, really. But next year, it's definitely going to be ramped up, certainly.

I did AS exams too, external for math, but internal mocks for sciences. But it was only 1 year's knowledge and generally, AS work is less complicated than 2nd year's work, so it wasn't all that bad. But i'm definitely feeling the massive amount of content now XD
Sorry to be blunt, but your subjects are probably the reason for your perceived lack of a jump between GCSE and AS.

There is a significant gap in difficulty, albeit not as large as the AS A2 gap.

Quick Reply

Latest