Why do asian women claim that white skin looks is best?

Watch
DarkQueen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Why do Asians think black skin is ugly but I get hit on my men of all races nearly all the time??? I'm African American and I'm proud to be a black woman. By the way my boyfriend is white and he loves my dark skin. Asian women seem very racist and old fashion to me by their views on women and race.
mo_myc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Society
gabriellakhan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
People of all colours are beautiful. Saw this black girl on a tv show and she beat all the white girls in terms of good looks. So yep dark skin can definitely be beautiful. I'm an Asian girl and I don't think fair skin is more beautiful Eventhough I'm very fair myself
Zinaa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
first, i wouldn't say it is 'asians', but rather mainly japanese, korean and chinese (maybe a few other countries but not as many as refering to the whole of asia) women, since asia is quite a large continent with many brown and some black people that are very happy with their skin colour. and in the countries where white is considered the 'greater race', it's more about looking pale than tanned and such. their media makes them think that the effects of the sun on their skin will damage them, so that's why the want to remain as pale as possible. there are also traditions of being white as suggesting beauty; the whiter the more beautiful. these areas don't tend to have people of colour so they aren't fond of standing out; rather wanting to be like the pale and white celebrities the media advertise. it's not necessarily racist because they don't consider black or brown people as disgusting or less, they just lean towards being more pale.
NobleLeather
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They're insecure about their facial features so they focus on skin color to make themselves feel superior. It's always the most unhappy and insecure people that are the nastiest.
amaryn.ng
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Being Chinese myself I would say it definitely has nothing to do with racism, but rather the perceptive of skin colour on a person's social status, which mainly originated from a concept a long long time ago.

During the old times it is believed that people who were poor and had to participate in outdoors labour work everyday, e.g. farming, have darker skin since they are more exposed to the sun; whereas the rich mostly stayed indoors away from the sun, which gave them a generally paler complexion. It was also popularly known as a fact that daughters of families must be married to the rich and vice versa for guys since during those times most people are in poverty, therefore leading to a rise in popular belief that paler skin is more preferable than a darker complexion.

This evolved into the common beauty standards (or at least has a part in) of Asian countries such as Japan, Korea and China, it isn't a discrimination against other races to begin with... and so it goes on.
username1333513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
first of all, this isn't just asian women who are like this but men are like this too, second there are also black people who are obsessed with light skin too, other groups as well such as latinos so idk why you're just pinning this on asians, and i think it's to do with social status like one of the other posters have said
Ladymusiclover
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zinaa)
first, i wouldn't say it is 'asians', but rather mainly japanese, korean and chinese (maybe a few other countries but not as many as refering to the whole of asia) women, since asia is quite a large continent with many brown and some black people that are very happy with their skin colour. and in the countries where white is considered the 'greater race', it's more about looking pale than tanned and such. their media makes them think that the effects of the sun on their skin will damage them, so that's why the want to remain as pale as possible. there are also traditions of being white as suggesting beauty; the whiter the more beautiful. these areas don't tend to have people of colour so they aren't fond of standing out; rather wanting to be like the pale and white celebrities the media advertise. it's not necessarily racist because they don't consider black or brown people as disgusting or less, they just lean towards being more pale.
South Asians i.e Indians have this mindset too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.73%
I'm not sure (16)
3.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (151)
33.71%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.79%
I'm not a current university student (207)
46.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed