KerriJeffrey89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Good Morning,

This is my first post on here

I've been travelling the past 2 1/2 years, returning in July to Scotland. I have applied and got unconditional offers into the following colleges:

Perth - Access to Humanities
Glasgow Kelvin - Access to Humanities
Ayrshire - HNC Social Science

My previous work experience before travelling was HR/Training/Administration in Oil and Gas. I studied travel and tourism after leaving school at 16 reaching NVQ 2 & 3 however haven't studies since. I'm 28 this year and very interested in a Social Science degree next year.

I'm very happy with my offers so far - HNC would obviously be my preferred since its at a higher level but unsure if its the best option for returning to study after many years out of education. Has any got any experience in any of the courses that will help my decision?

Thanks in advance!!!

Kerri
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by KerriJeffrey89)
Good Morning,

This is my first post on here

I've been travelling the past 2 1/2 years, returning in July to Scotland. I have applied and got unconditional offers into the following colleges:

Perth - Access to Humanities
Glasgow Kelvin - Access to Humanities
Ayrshire - HNC Social Science

My previous work experience before travelling was HR/Training/Administration in Oil and Gas. I studied travel and tourism after leaving school at 16 reaching NVQ 2 & 3 however haven't studies since. I'm 28 this year and very interested in a Social Science degree next year.

I'm very happy with my offers so far - HNC would obviously be my preferred since its at a higher level but unsure if its the best option for returning to study after many years out of education. Has any got any experience in any of the courses that will help my decision?

Thanks in advance!!!

Kerri
Hi Kerri

Is it Access to Humanities via SWAP? If so your year there would get you directly into University which is a higher level/better qualifications than the HNC.

It really depends what you're looking to study afterwards and what your background knowledge is.

What's your ideal plan for after the course?
unomie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not access to humanities, but I just done ACCESS STEM @ Kelvin so can comment on the college itself.

Very disorganised (seemed to be a general theme throughout the college - not just my course). Some good teachers, some bad - like everywhere i imagine.. but the people managing the course we're helpful and done everything to insure you passed the course.

You can also progress internally onto a HN if you feel this is a better option for you. My class started with 16, 7 passed the course - 5 of which are going to University, the others onto a HND within Kelvin. Glasgow Uni basically accepts all access students with no other criteria than passing the course (strathclyde requires summer school, edinburgh required a grade profile).

I'm a Glasgow boy so biased but I'd pick Glasgow just for the student scene & nightlife

Hope this helps!
KerriJeffrey89
Rep:
?
(Original post by unomie)
Not access to humanities, but I just done ACCESS STEM @ Kelvin so can comment on the college itself.

Very disorganised (seemed to be a general theme throughout the college - not just my course). Some good teachers, some bad - like everywhere i imagine.. but the people managing the course we're helpful and done everything to insure you passed the course.

You can also progress internally onto a HN if you feel this is a better option for you. My class started with 16, 7 passed the course - 5 of which are going to University, the others onto a HND within Kelvin. Glasgow Uni basically accepts all access students with no other criteria than passing the course (strathclyde requires summer school, edinburgh required a grade profile).

I'm a Glasgow boy so biased but I'd pick Glasgow just for the student scene & nightlife

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for replying. Strathclyde have offered me a space on the pre entry access. It's 1 year with night classes and some self study. Various modules including English, psychology and history.

Do you know anyone who's been on it? I'd love to study on towards a degree next year at Strathclyde if I pass the course as they have some great degree options. They offer a lot of support in way of extra classes for essay work and research methods which o think will greatly help me to return to studying after 10 years!

I've never stayed in Glasgow more than a weekend. I've been looking at places to stay and available jobs - there seems to be no shortage. My sister is in Edinburgh so has offered me a room if I wish to commute for a year until my degree since it's evening classes. So that may be an option too!
KerriJeffrey89
Rep:
?
(Original post by Friffinghell)
Hi Kerri

Is it Access to Humanities via SWAP? If so your year there would get you directly into University which is a higher level/better qualifications than the HNC.

It really depends what you're looking to study afterwards and what your background knowledge is.

What's your ideal plan for after the course?

Thanks so much for replying. Strathclyde have offered me a space on the pre entry access. It's 1 year with night classes and some self study. Various modules including English, psychology and history. Do you know anyone who's been on it? I'd love to study on towards a degree next year at Strathclyde if I pass the course as they have some great degree options. I'm not 100% sure on my exact degree but definitely in the line of psychology/ social policy/ counselling/ criminology. I've been looking at the Social Work 4 year degree too. I'm hoping with the first year I'll explore all interests and pick what will suit me.

I've also noticed Strathclyde offer a degree with a foreign language. I really want to learn Spanish and can do it along side psychology/social policy etc.
crazyScotgirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey.
I've just finished acces to humanities at West College Scotland and i got offers from UWS, GCU, Strathclyde and Glasgow. The fact it was with SWAP made all the difference with getting in to Uni. My son has just finished a HND and has been struggling to get in to a third year course. Strathclyde only offered him in to their 1st year. I am going to GCU from September to do Scoial Science. I can't thank SWAP enough. The course was great x
charleyKay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by crazyScotgirl)
Hey.
I've just finished acces to humanities at West College Scotland and i got offers from UWS, GCU, Strathclyde and Glasgow. The fact it was with SWAP made all the difference with getting in to Uni. My son has just finished a HND and has been struggling to get in to a third year course. Strathclyde only offered him in to their 1st year. I am going to GCU from September to do Scoial Science. I can't thank SWAP enough. The course was great x
Hey, I have just applied to this course and have an interview tomorrow, we have been told that we are to have a written and mathematics task. I'm currently freaking out as I have been out of education for 5 years now, and only ever had one interview. What should I expect at my interview?
rosemadder
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by charleyKay)
Hey, I have just applied to this course and have an interview tomorrow, we have been told that we are to have a written and mathematics task. I'm currently freaking out as I have been out of education for 5 years now, and only ever had one interview. What should I expect at my interview?
Hi, I am currently doing access to social sciences at New College Lanarkshire, I was told about an English/Maths test. Turned out I didn't do a maths test just asked to write something about why I was there, what I wanted to acheive etc, nothing was marked, we had an interview after the writing and I was offered a place there and then.

Best advice, don't stress. I looked up the maths test in preparation and everyone said it was very basic. If you want a little refresher try using BBC Bitsize or Kahn Academy and try not to worry! I had been out of education for 20 years and it is nowhere near as scary or stressful as I thought it would be.

Good luck at your interview.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (394)
43.97%
No (91)
10.16%
I'm not old enough (411)
45.87%

Watched Threads