The Student Room Group

Do I stand any chance getting a place for 2017 Mental Health Nursing entry?

So I'm aware of the access/foundation course routes that I can take, and that is more what I'm leaning to due to my grades etc. However I was talking to my mum's friend at the weekend and she herself is a nurse and has been for around 30 years now, she said she thinks I should make my applications/choices straight into the first year of nursing.

My background info: I'm 24, finished my A-levels at 19 only have a background in retail. At A level I got C (English) D (Media) and B (Film Studies AS). Got 11 A-C grade GCSE's with an A in English, B in Maths and B in Science. I didn't think I had the right grades/work experience which is why I was going to get some work experience this summer in a healthcare job and apply for the foundation degree for 2017 then make my applications for 2018.

But my mum's friend said, due to the bursary situation changing there's going to be a big drop in applicants this year (so less competition) and with my strong GCSE grades I stand a chance. I just don't know though, I guess I wanted some more opinions, as I don't want to make the applications then get rejected for them and then have missed out on getting on the foundation courses as well.
Hi, I think your best bet is to ring the admission departments of the universities you would want to apply to. The official UCAS deadline passed a while a back but some universities may be willing to accept an application. Although due to the bursary application numbers have dropped, nursing degrees have still received a lot of applicants this year and it is still competitive.
Many universities want BBB at A-level and some specify a science, but it's worth an ask anyway. Some universities also specify some form of academic learning within the last 3 or last 5 years and some ask for some form of voluntary or work experience so just be aware of that too.
Worth keeping in mind some universities have a February or March intake. Otherwise you could still make it in time for an access course starting this September if you need to do that before applying.
I hope this helps.
All universities require some form of formal education within the last 3-5 years. You may have to do an access course, I know of people who had a degree but it was completed over 3 years ago so they had to complete an access course.

edit: Most admission requirements are already not excessively competitive, uni's like Derby, SHU, Coventry simply require a BBC or BCC in A levels which is already quite low.
(edited 6 years ago)
get the work experience. in a hospital setting. speak to the uni. they may treat you as a mature student. a little current study would help. your expected to be upto speed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending