The Student Room Group

Maths degree with foundation year

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any experience of the foundation year or knew what to expect.

I am a mature student, have been working in a finance role for a few years now, and I have been encouraged to apply for the Mathematics degree including a foundation year. I achieved a grade A in Maths GCSE (however this was in 2009) and went on to do A Levels where I achieved a C grade in Statistics in 2011 (should have done much better).

So what I would like to know is, will I be able to cope with the foundation year given that I can't really remember much from College/School? Will the foundation year basically just be A Level Maths?

Thanks in advance
They probably won't let you in if they don't think you can cope. However, you can easily find out if you can cope (and with hard work im sure you can) by looking at A level books for maths. The foundation year is likely to be at that level as it'll be preparing you for starting university at 1st year level.
Reply 2
Original post by DonAchille
They probably won't let you in if they don't think you can cope. However, you can easily find out if you can cope (and with hard work im sure you can) by looking at A level books for maths. The foundation year is likely to be at that level as it'll be preparing you for starting university at 1st year level.

Thanks Don. I have spoken with the admissions team and told them my situation. They have encouraged me to apply so hopefully they do think ill be able to cope. As you say the foundation year is likely to be at A Level standard, do you think they would assume that people studying it have not done it at A Level standard before and therefore go through the basic introductory stuff?
Thanks for the A Level book tip too. I'll have a look around for one.

Quick Reply

Latest