The Student Room Group

I'm ashamed of my degree

I'm posting in this thread because it is predominantly as a result of my current job (I work in an unskilled role) that I feel this way, although I am embarrassed about my degree field.

In summary, I'm embarrassed to mention to people I have a degree in Digital Media (creative design) because usually I'm speaking to Law, Business, Medicine, or STEM graduates and students.

Something that actually helps in leading to a job, unlike mine where it is practically oversubscribed and barriers to entry are high.

Very few employers are willing to train grads or put you through work based programmes (unless a grad scheme with a blue chip).

I've applied for a few graduate schemes and been largely unsuccessful- and attribute this to my degree.

Is anybody else particularly ashamed of their Degree and its usefullness (of lackof)?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by royal1990
I'm posting in this thread because it is predominantly as a result of my current job (I work in an unskilled role) that I feel this way, although I am embarrassed about my degree field.

In summary, I'm embarrassed to mention to people I have a degree in Digital Media (creative design) because usually I'm speaking to Law, Business, Medicine, or STEM graduates and students.

Something that actually helps in leading to a job, unlike mine where it is practically oversubscribed and barriers to entry are high.

Very few employers are willing to train grads or put you through work based programmes (unless a grad scheme with a blue chip).

I've applied for a few graduate schemes and been largely unsuccessful- and attribute this to my degree.

Is anybody else particularly ashamed of their Degree and its usefullness (of lackof)?

There's nothing to be ashamed of about your degree, you chose it because I presume you had a passion for that particular subject area, so I don't see why you should be ashamed of that.

What were you expecting to do afterwards when you finish your degree? This is why I always think it is important to do extensive research (i.e unemployment rates, types of job progression etc.) about your chosen degree before making the final decision as it could be detrimental to your future imo.

I think with courses like "Digital Media" and other artsy courses, the apprenticeship route is the best option as you are getting hands-on experience straight up, whilst gaining a useful qualification and skills that can help you progress in the Media industry.

Additionally, did you really expect to finish the course in +three years and be landed a high-skilled job immediately? The job market is incredibly competitive, especially in the Media industry. Throughout your time at uni did you make use of your time by self-teaching yourself various principles of Digital Media like Video editing, animating etc? For instance, I'm teaching myself how to program in certain programming languages and do various projects because I know for sure the Degree course (Computer Science) itself isn't going to land me a high-paid/skilled job straight up even though it's in demand, most graduates end up unemployed because of the fact they have no skills employers want.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by squirrology
There's nothing to be ashamed of about your degree, you chose it because I presume you had a passion for that particular subject area, so I don't see why you should be ashamed of that.

What were you expecting to do afterwards when you finish your degree? This is why I always think it is important to do extensive research (i.e unemployment rates, types of job progression etc.) about your chosen degree before making the final decision as it could be detrimental to your future imo.

I think with courses like "Digital Media" and other artsy courses, the apprenticeship route is the best option as you are getting hands-on experience straight up, whilst gaining a useful qualification and skills that can help you progress in the Media industry.

Additionally, did you really expect to finish the course in +three years and be landed a high-skilled job immediately? The job market is incredibly competitive, especially in the Media industry. Throughout your time at uni did you make use of your time by self-teaching yourself various principles of Digital Media like Video editing, animating etc? For instance, I'm teaching myself how to program in certain programming languages and do various projects because I know for sure the Degree course (Computer Science) itself isn't going to land me a high-paid/skilled job straight up even though it's in demand, most graduates end up unemployed because of the fact they have no skills employers want.

I'm more ashamed because I guess I've internalised a lot of the attitudes of today's 'younger' generations; and their impressions of 'artsy' degrees. They don't carry the same weight as other subjects.

I guess, I agree with your statement, and perhaps, from that angle regret not taking the apprenticeship route. However, to be honest, prior to going to uni I spent some time trying to find a creative "Graphic Design" type apprenticeship in my area (at the time- in 2009/10) and there was not much; other than administration, business and ICT courses at a lower level. It was at the time the government was launching the apprenticeship scheme initiative over degree education.

I decided against apprenticeships as I couldn't find one at the right level in my subject area.

I wanted to go into Graphic Design at Junior level and work within an advertising agency. I have always been about creating ideas for campaigns that matter; having conducted a study into healthcare related advertising in health services. How to create effective messages etc. Or perhaps some sort of charity based initiative. Knowing that I've contributed to something that helps others.

However, in reality, I've struggled to gain any meaningful experience, apart from the odd voluntary project.

Most of the time I was working towards jumping though the hoops for assignments and the like- albeit honing my skills this way. However, its worth noting I was suffering from depression so my time and motivation was impacted by this. My progress was such I had to have extensions and so spent a lot of time in a very distressed state.

I did take an interest in particular software over others, but alway lacked the motivation to pursue it further, because I spent a lot of time catching up with projects for my degree.

I have looked at schemes recently like FDM etc, but I live independently and cant afford to fund myself through the training period. I.e. to afford to live (I'd need to give up my job to undertake training with the firm).
I wouldn't really say I am ashamed of my degree, but I study Diagnostic Radiography and nobody even knows what it is, even though it is such a fundamental aspect of medicine and is the first healthcare professional you go to when you feel you have something wrong with you but are unsure what. It's just so tiring explaining to people what the course is, like, it doesn't have as big a statement or wow factor like dentistry or medicine does. People also tell me "you need a degree to push a button?" which is so not true.

Truth is, people are going to criticise you no matter what you do, so you may as well do something you will enjoy in life. Your degree isn't anything to be ashamed of, honestly not everybody can even get into university nevermind graduate with a full degree. Be proud of your hard work.
Original post by royal1990

I studied Business Information Technology and I'm ashamed of my degree. I know I could have done better for myself, the degree was easy and I didn't feel that challenged at many points. I'll probably end up with a first class with my results in July, but my lack of valuable experience or core skills is shocking.

If I could do it again I'd do A levels and not BTEC, and then I'd do engineering or something similar, at a top university.

I know how you feel though, because I feel like I'm in a pool of mediocrity right now. I'm considering just bailing the UK for a while and teaching english abroad for a year, then waiting for the influx of good graduate jobs to come through and apply for them.
Man, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

I mean heck, I've just finished a biomed degree and have had sod all luck getting a job (and I've been applying to anything and everything). And I know people with art degrees who got a job just fine. STEM does not automatically mean good or better. The world isn't black and white. Where one subject is bad and another is good. There are a lot of things to consider, such as work ethic, job experience, skills etc. And as much as a lot of people like to pretend this doesn't happen...often it's also who you know. Most of the people I know who landed great jobs straight after uni got them through knowing someone high up in the company they now work for.
Don't be ashamed. At least you have a degree. Some people don't even have a degree.
Any degree requires a lot of hard work so you should be proud of yourself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending