Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AS and individual module grades/marks watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There's a bad thing writing your modular grades of AS grades on personal statements. They might think your showing off, bragging, etc... Do you think so?

ReputationRep:
    Ok then, should i get my teacher to write that i got:

97% average for geog modules OR
    two 100/100s OR
    290/300

What sounds better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Ok then, should i get my teacher to write that i got:

97% average for geog modules OR
    two 100/100s OR
    290/300

What sounds better?
    Hi Sian

ReputationRep:
    You may want to mention some of the stuff you do, but for some uni what they do is once reading your marks they say..."Thats great marks for [insert subject choice here], but what module marks did you get for [other subjects you do/subjects relating to degree]"

By your ref including modules marks, it almost invites questions of that sorts into your other not so hot amrks.

ReputationRep:
    so can you still mention certain module marks in the reference if you are not going to declare any of your as-level grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    so can you still mention certain module marks in the reference if you are not going to declare any of your as-level grades?
    Well as I said you can. BUT then it sort of gives the universities open season to ask you about other marks, that you don't want them to know.

ReputationRep:
    is it worth putting 87/90 ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    No, people only get their referees to mention the overall AS Mark if it's really, really high, like 290/300+, otherwise it's just pointless.

Look, I'll show you what I'm getting my ref to mention:

AS General Studies Politics and Economics Paper - 100/100
    AS General Studies Science and Mathematics Paper - 100/100
    Achieved Overall General Studies AS Level UMS Score: 290/300

AS Pure One Mathematics - 88/90
    AS Pure Two Mathematics - 84/90
    *Pure One module was partially self taught, whole of Pure Two module was self taught.

AS Physics Module One Paper (Particles, Radiation, Quantum Phenomena) - 85/90
    AS Physics Fibre Optics Coursework - Full Marks

AS Computing Module Three Paper - 90/90
    AS Economics Module Three Paper - 81/90

Get it? (Even the Economics one is pushing it actually, but may include it)
    My opinion is that the overall effect is diminished if so many module marks are mentioned; the reference can only be about 700 words remember. My referee is writing " Notably achieved A grades in all twelve papers sat last year, including five full mark papers. In Economics he received the further distinction of obtaining the highest raw mark in the country, out of over 1900 candidates...".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcoolinguk)
    My opinion is that the overall effect is diminished if so many module marks are mentioned; the reference can only be about 700 words remember. My referee is writing " Notably achieved A grades in all twelve papers sat last year, including five full mark papers. In Economics he received the further distinction of obtaining the highest raw mark in the country, out of over 1900 candidates...".
    Wow! I wish mine could write that too, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I got 100/100 on two psychology papers with 294 overall. I guess that is worth mentioning, I think my teacher has already written my reference though. I just wish I got higher UMS in English as that's what I'm doing at uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcd)
    Wow! I wish mine could write that too, lol.
    I don't think it matters too much, but I think if the referee states too much about unit marks it makes the references sound like a checklist. The reference, as well as a clear grade prediction should include details of your response to a subject. The comment on my reference that I am most proud of is the following:

"His contribution to class discussion is controlled and perceptive and plays an invaluable part in the lessons because he has the ability to raise the level of analysis and to move it on for the rest of the group" {for English}. I think this says much more about me as a student than a 100% paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcoolinguk)
    I think this says much more about me as a student than a 100% paper.
    Definately as it shows you are more than a revision master.

I got a question, does a teacher not teaching me have the right to add to my reference as my previous teacher had already writen one before leaving this summer (I wanna add something about full UMS)?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully, I'll get them to put "Ian achieved marks in the high 80s/90s throughout their modules". That way, I'll look good without mentioning I got a low A in the subject I'm applying for (French).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Definately as it shows you are more than a revision master.

I got a question, does a teacher not teaching me have the right to add to my reference as my previous teacher had already writen one before leaving this summer (I wanna add something about full UMS)?
    You can get whoever you wish, or a combination of people, to write your reference, if that's what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    You can get whoever you wish, or a combination of people, to write your reference, if that's what you mean.
    Ok, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Or if certain individual units at A level is applicable to your degree which you achieved an impressive mark in then show that. Like unit 3 Edexcel politics (constitution stuff) 100/100 for law degree....

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.