The Student Room Group

Affordability vs Prestige?

Hi, I'm currently having this debate with my parents and would appreciate any and all input! Just to give some background info, I currently hold conditional offers for the major of Business Information Technology from both the University of East Anglia and the University of Manchester (undergraduate degrees). Moreover, I've recently received a scholarship from the University of East Anglia which would make my annual tuition 13,000 USD less than Manchester (my family could barely afford the tuition at Manchester). My parents are currently leaning towards UEA, but I personally feel more strongly towards Manchester. What are your thoughts on which university I should select, and why?
Hi @Yusuf333,

Firstly, congrats on your offer and scholarship at UEA! That is fantastic news!

When looking at each university and the courses on offer, we'd highly recommend looking at UniStats, which provides details and useful insights. For example, 90% of students at UEA are satisfied with the course, and 95% have gone onto work or further study.
We've done the hard work for you and attached a handy comparison chart, which we'd highly recommend having a look at!

Can I ask, why are you currently leaning towards University of Manchester? Is there anything about UEA you are unsure of?

We're happy to answer any questions you may have!
Reply 2
Hi @University of East Anglia
Thank you guys so much for your helpful and insightful response! Honestly, I initially leaned towards Manchester because that was the choice my fellow classmates pushed me to choose (due to its higher ranking and stronger reputation). I guess peer pressure played a role here, especially since many of them ended up attending pretty high ranking UK universities such as Imperial and King's College. In particular, I also believed that Manchester had better employment prospects for its students due to the fact that the campus is located in a major city and has over 60+ industrial connections (hence opening up more networking opportunities for valuable work experiences). However, over the past few hours, I've done more research into UEA and realized that UEA is still a great option for me (as my parents have constantly pointed out), which is why I'm proud to let you know that I've selected UEA as my firm choice!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending