The Student Room Group

Medical finals next week and I have no motivation

Like the title says, my medical finals are next week, and I have done no work towards them.

This year in particular I have been struggling with anxiety and low mood. I've barely been on the wards as I couldn't even get myself out of bed. I've had such little motivation yet all I want to do is pass; I feel like I'm sabotaging myself.

I sleep terribly, so I sleep in the day, then I drink amongst other things in the evening. I just want to run away from it all. I can't do it.

If I ever do get a moment of clarity when I sit down to work I can't concentrate at all. Nothing is going in.

I'm full of regret about the time I've wasted but at the same time I don't even care.

Does anyone else feel the same? Is there anything that will make a difference this late on? Any help or advice would be bloody great.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Like the title says, my medical finals are next week, and I have done no work towards them.

This year in particular I have been struggling with anxiety and low mood. I've barely been on the wards as I couldn't even get myself out of bed. I've had such little motivation yet all I want to do is pass; I feel like I'm sabotaging myself.

I sleep terribly, so I sleep in the day, then I drink amongst other things in the evening. I just want to run away from it all. I can't do it.

If I ever do get a moment of clarity when I sit down to work I can't concentrate at all. Nothing is going in.

I'm full of regret about the time I've wasted but at the same time I don't even care.

Does anyone else feel the same? Is there anything that will make a difference this late on? Any help or advice would be bloody great.

I'm afraid I can't give you much advice when it comes to getting motivation or concentration- it's something I always struggled with at uni and never got an answer to. I will tell you though, that even if you to totally mess up and everything that can possibly go wrong goes wrong, it's not the end of the world. You can work on fixing it or moving around it later. It is never too late.

So don't pressure yourself too much and just do what you can. Also, if you haven't already you may want to see your GP about the anxiety and check out some sites like mind.org and sane.org for advice and info. :smile:
Can you defer until next year? You're clearly distressed and have been all year and if you have a week until your finals and have done nothing, there's no point putting yourself through further punishment. My advice, find out if you can defer and also go speak to your university psychological services/GP/personal tutor.

Quick Reply

Latest