The Student Room Group

New Children's Laureate worried about equality in books.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40185267

Maybe because they can't relate to female characters?

This is zealotry.

Let boys read whatever they want, and leave it at that. Same for girls.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Hugh_Jass
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40185267

Maybe because they can't relate to female characters?

This is zealotry.

I don't know, I think she may have a point.

Disney had issues with "The Princess and The Frog" because it had princess in the title. A lot of mums didn't take their wee boys (or the wee boys refused) to go see the movie. (Excellent movie by the way.)
When it came to the next 'princess' movie they were quick change the name from the titular character Rapunzel to 'Tangled' in an effort not to alienate the male audience.

I'd never watched the Princess Bride as I thought it was a girly, twee chick flick... turns out I was wrong!

I do wonder what else I've turned my nose up at because I've assumed that it's for 'girly girls' or dudes.
You know what we need... An investigation, that seems to be the go to these days.

We can have a report which we can then ignore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Friffinghell
I don't know, I think she may have a point.

Disney had issues with "The Princess and The Frog" because it had princess in the title. A lot of mums didn't take their wee boys (or the wee boys refused) to go see the movie. (Excellent movie by the way.)
When it came to the next 'princess' movie they were quick change the name from the titular character Rapunzel to 'Tangled' in an effort not to alienate the male audience.

I'd never watched the Princess Bride as I thought it was a girly, twee chick flick... turns out I was wrong!

I do wonder what else I've turned my nose up at because I've assumed that it's for 'girly girls' or dudes.

The only point she's made is that boys do in fact tend to avoid films/books that are or appear to be girly - not because they have female protagonists (which is what she claims), but because the film or book doesn't appeal to them.

My youngest sister, who's a bit of a tomboy, despises Frozen - and I mean hates it. Her male friend loves it. It depends on the person and their likes and dislikes, not their gender.
The only point she's made is that boys do in fact tend to avoid films/books that are or appear to be girly - not because they have female protagonists (which is what she claims), but because the film or book doesn't appeal to them.

My youngest sister, who's a bit of a tomboy, despises Frozen - and I mean hates it. Her male friend loves it. It depends on the person and their likes and dislikes, not their gender.

If the marketing was different though would that change things?

I totally agree that everyone is different (Frozen was pants) BUT I do wonder if I am missing out on stuff that I would like just because of the way it's marketed.

I'd never watched a superhero movie until a couple of years ago as I had written them off as drivel for wee boys. Iron Man and Captain America- whilst not being the pinnacle of movie making- are cracking films.
Maybe being Laureate will keep her away from Tumblr, so she'll stop thinking about that sort of thing.
All the book I read as a child were about animals. Good old Redwall. Glad I grew up in simpler times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is zealotry.

Where as I agree with your sentiment, it isn't as simple as that. Let us rephrase the argument along similar lines.

"Boys don't like eating food that has vegetables - and that makes it harder for boys to be healthy"

And your response

This is zealotry. Let boys eat what they want.

When raising children in our society, they can't do what they want, read what they want or think what they want. You only have to look at the recent terror attacks to see the extreme version of what happens if youngsters are misguided.

There are still huge inequalities between the sexes in our society like it or not and pretending that it isn't an issue is not the solution. Boys should be encouraged to read stories about girls and women, not only because there is some good stuff out there, but because it broadens the mind when it comes to having a discriminatory attitudes towards women, which, sadly many men still have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending