Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKIP support Paris 2012 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    maybe but that wasnt quite how he expressed them and i think he meant them genuienly rather than as attention seeking
    Meant what? "No small businessman in his right mind would employ a woman of child bearing age." Well yes I think he did meant that. And I think he's just being realistic. They wouldn't. Thanks to the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Meant what? "No small businessman in his right mind would employ a woman of child bearing age." Well yes I think he did meant that. And I think he's just being realistic. They wouldn't. Thanks to the EU.
    Dont you mean House of Lords? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    ??

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minor_Deity)
    1)
    2) You can't argue that UKIP don't think the Olympics will be a benefit AND that their supporting a foreign nations bid shows they're not xenophobic, I think these two arguments contradict each other.

3) There seems to be much evidence that in a number of ways the EU is corrupt, poorly run and inefficient. But is this an argument for wrecking it, as UKIP want to do, or an argument to change it, as most good lefties want to do? Should we destory an entire project that has promoted peace, trading and interaction between european nations like never before (well, perhaps under the roman empire) just because some bits of it need more work?

4) Don't use being PC as an insult... being Politically Correct is almost always simply about being polite, refering to peoples by their prefered names, not insulting other groups etc. In my book, these are very good and honerable qualities. For example, calling UKIP supporters tos**r wa**ing f**kers would not be PC.
    To answer your points:

2) They don't contradict eachother. UKIP aren't opposed to any and every British olympic bid, we just believe this one hasn't been properly financially accounted for and the benefits to Londoners will not be worth the cost. If we did believe it would be of benefit, we would support it. We believe the Paris bid, on this occasion, is the best one therefore we have no hesitation in supporting it! We believe Paris can make it work whereas, sadly, on this occasion London can't.

3) I am convinced the EU is rotten at the core and therefore beyond repair. The culture of waste and corruption has been there since day 1, the EU has ALWAYS been a graveyard of 2nd rate, failed politicians and this prevents any real change occuring. "Ever closer union" has always been the aim from those who run it, ever since Schuman et al who first set up the ECSC and EEC, it cannot be changed in my view from what it is now: a nation-building programme which I believe, the vast, vast majority of the British (and a slightly smaller majority of most europeans) are opposed to.

4) I think we may have to disagree here slightly. In my opinion, being PC isn't so much about politeness but being patronising. For example, the PC "non-competitive school sports days" which patronise children who aren't athletically gifted by making special concessions and shielding them from competition, the same is true for "chairwomen" etc.

ReputationRep:
    ??
    The HOL established the "but for" test in sex discrimination cases, this has had a major impact, e.g. "but for" the fact she was a women she wouldn’t have been fired (coz only women can get preggers).

Also, the Sex Discrimination Act has had a huge impact on the issue you raised, not just the E.U.

ReputationRep:
    The HOL established the "but for" test in sex discrimination cases, this has had a major impact, e.g. "but for" the fact she was a women she wouldn’t have been fired (coz only women can get preggers).

Also, the Sex Discrimination Act has had a huge impact on the issue you raised, not just the E.U.
    It is still the EU that is doing most of the meddling in our labour markets.

ReputationRep:
    It is still the EU that is doing most of the meddling in our labour markets.
    They do meddle alot.

ReputationRep:
    "I am here to represent Yorkshire women who always have dinner on the table when you get home. I am going to promote men's rights," isnt quite the same as the view you promote when he is on the commitee for women's rights

ReputationRep:
    "I am here to represent Yorkshire women who always have dinner on the table when you get home. I am going to promote men's rights," isnt quite the same as the view you promote when he is on the commitee for women's rights
    He's taking the piss clearly. He still raises a very valid point.

ReputationRep:
    He's taking the piss clearly. He still raises a very valid point.
    yes any intelligent person would hope that................

ReputationRep:
    yes any intelligent person would hope that................
    He is obnoxious as hell. Doesn't do them any favours. I think they need to market themselves more as "the party with fresh, daring and reasoned ideas." ... That means getting rid of orange peel Kilroy, and morons like this guy.

ReputationRep:
    Tho they arent necessarily taking a line on this particulary issue i think that alot of their manifesto is likely to of been PC. If you read the first nazi manifesto, there was no mention of the holocaust in that and it was only when they got into power did the party show its true colours. This fact I think may be true of both the BNP and UKIP
    All i can really say is that I know virtually ALL the senior members of UKIP, I have met almost all our MEP's, GLA members etc at one time or another. I can honestly tell you I've never heard a single offensive or racist comment from any of them. I am not a racist, and if UKIP was racist I wouldn't be a member of the party, simple as that. Yes, UKIP wants to sort out our asylum system but right now ITS A COMPLETE MESS! This is damaging to the genuine asylum seeker and only benefits the economic migrants and people trafficers who smuggle people across Europe in disgusting conditions and get filthy rich doing so. The truth is we put forward black, asian and jewish candidates in the last election, we can't do any more than that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greyhound01)
    The truth is we put forward black, asian and jewish candidates in the last election, we can't do any more than that!
    Do you have any links? j/w

ReputationRep:
    All i can really say is that I know virtually ALL the senior members of UKIP, I have met almost all our MEP's, GLA members etc at one time or another. I can honestly tell you I've never heard a single offensive or racist comment from any of them. I am not a racist, and if UKIP was racist I wouldn't be a member of the party, simple as that. Yes, UKIP wants to sort out our asylum system but right now ITS A COMPLETE MESS! This is damaging to the genuine asylum seeker and only benefits the economic migrants and people trafficers who smuggle people across Europe in disgusting conditions and get filthy rich doing so. The truth is we put forward black, asian and jewish candidates in the last election, we can't do any more than that!
    May I ask how you have come to be in this position?
    I accept these may be their aims and if you are right, i am very relieved to hear that, however the only thing that worries me is what do they think is the perfect solution for this problem.

ReputationRep:
    oooooo I'm enjoying this.

The idea of a non competitve sports day is actrually good fun. I went to two primary schools where I experienced both kinds. In many ways the 'non competitive' day was far more competitive than the competitive one, if you follow. Not so much because eveyone wanted to win, but because everyone tooks part, so with the exception of a few track events I, like all my five year old friends, took part in all the activities, throughly enjoying the experience, and helping gain our team (go greens!) points. At the 'competitive' sports day I had all the fun of watching other people play sports. This was dull and alienating. In this way it seems clear to me that the non-competitive day was actrually far superior in promoting sports to children, far more fun for the parents (who got to cheer their kids in far more events and felt ever so much prouder), and kept us much fitter (because we were doing lots events instead of at most 2 and at least 0). You might not be turned by my argument for a 'non competitive' sports day, but if you are at least slightly swayed by it I hope you see that much of the argument against supposed political correctness is generated by a sea of ignorence of what an activity actrually involves.

Also I fail to see why the EU couldn't be changed. As an institution I think it isn't yet democratic enough which makes this process harder, but if kilroy was saying 'we are going to radically reform the EU', indeed if anyone was saying this, I can only see this would be by far more productive. Just saying we're going to scrap it before one has tried truly radical reforms (like say, a constitution for starters) is somewhat childish.

Also don't be too naive in thinking that we don't need very close relations to the rest of Europe. Some argue we don't need it because we are close to the USA, but in our life times (well, my life time, I don't know how old other people are) China is likly to become an even bigger superpower, and Russia too, with it's huge amount of natural resources, is oneday likely to develop into a nation far more powerful than the USA today. Strange as it may seem, the best way to maintain liberty in Britain is to work with others who share similar ideas (i.e. Europe). In historical context it is also worth noting that Britain will probably help maintain liberty on the continent as well.

ReputationRep:
    well if you want to vote for a party that has sexists and crimminal members then that is fine by me, i have mearly presented my own views on this thread, which are not more or less valid than anyone else's on this thread.

on the actual subject i wouldnt care less whether we have the olympics and would prefer political parties to come up with ideas for sorting out the NHS service so its effeicent and our education system
    I think you're being totally unrealistic. It's almost impossible for smaller parties such as UKIP to run a fine-tooth comb through all prospective candidates and search their history. If the worst you can say about us is a foolish comment regarding women then I think thats not to bad, especially considering the vast number of convictions held by senior BNP members for assault, drunked incidents, etc. and convictions held by green party members for drug related offences. The bigger parties also have much to be ashamed for, the Lib Dems are notorious for shielding paedophile concillors of theirs. As for Labour and Conservatives, well all I'll say is: Archer, Hamilton, Mandelson, Vaz, and their MEP who got caught trying to smuggle class A drugs through customs. There are many more convictions held by elected Labour, Lib Dem and Conservative members who's names escape me. The point is that compared to all other parties you can name, UKIP come out the cleanest!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any links? j/w
    Sadly not, but obviously the list of our candidates is public information and if I was wrong it could be easily shown. All I can think of is if you can get hold of the little manifesto booklet of all the parties that went through every letterbox in London it'll show you in there.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're being totally unrealistic. It's almost impossible for smaller parties such as UKIP to run a fine-tooth comb through all prospective candidates and search their history. If the worst you can say about us is a foolish comment regarding women then I think thats not to bad, especially considering the vast number of convictions held by senior BNP members for assault, drunked incidents, etc. and convictions held by green party members for drug related offences. The bigger parties also have much to be ashamed for, the Lib Dems are notorious for shielding paedophile concillors of theirs. As for Labour and Conservatives, well all I'll say is: Archer, Hamilton, Mandelson, Vaz, and their MEP who got caught trying to smuggle class A drugs through customs. There are many more convictions held by elected Labour, Lib Dem and Conservative members who's names escape me. The point is that compared to all other parties you can name, UKIP come out the cleanest!
    Ahem, http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....0&postcount=65

ReputationRep:
    May I ask how you have come to be in this position?
    I accept these may be their aims and if you are right, i am very relieved to hear that, however the only thing that worries me is what do they think is the perfect solution for this problem.
    I got there through hard work and committment! We, just like every other party, don't have a "perfect solution" we just put forward our ideas as to how best to deal with real life issues like all other parties.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.