The Student Room Group

TSR's General Election All Nighter thread 2017 - Tory/DUP informal coalition

Hello there folks!

So it's that time again when we set up the usual all nighter thread for following the results of the General Election. As ever, if you're thinking of staying up all night watching the results as the seats come in, then this is the thread where all discussion will take place! No rest for the wicked and all that jazz :moon:

Broadcasters for the results include the BBC, ITV and Sky News, and Channel 4. Who will you be sticking with for the evening?

A full list of the seats by estimated declaration time can be found here: http://election.pressassociation.com/Declaration_times/general_2017_by_time.php

As ever, the main exit poll is released at 10pm, and then we should have a clear picture of a winner come the early hours of the morning.

Finally, let's make this an enjoyable night for all. Let's not devolve into arguments and insults, and just enjoy (to as much extent as you can depending on your party of choice) the political fun ahead for the night :yy:

With all that said, let's enjoy the night. Who do people have tipped to win, and are there any seats in particular you think are going to see some surprising/major swings?

Edit: Confirmed that we will have a Conservative Minority government, with DUP issue by issue support. Thoughts?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Giving this a bump now that it's live for use \o/
Reply 2
That David Dimbleby does it for BBC. I might watch his ugly mug...
I will stay up until the exit poll. Then the exit poll will reveal a huge Tory majority and I will go to bed.
I think we may see Norman Lamb and Nick Clegg lose their seats- the Lib Dems could sink even lower after this election.
Reply 5
Original post by LifeIsFine
I think we may see Norman Lamb and Nick Clegg lose their seats- the Lib Dems could sink even lower after this election.

Well labour is apparently the new Lib Dem ... sooooo... yeah...???
Original post by Voi
Well labour is apparently the new Lib Dem ... sooooo... yeah...???

I do apologise, I don't understand lol.
As in Labour are proper opposition to the Tories? Certainly not on Brexit- advocating for a "Soft" Brexit and backing it up with Farage's comments of a Norway style agreement would have a lot of success with voters, but they have gone for the "Hard" Brexit route.
Reply 7
I do apologise, I don't understand lol.
As in Labour are proper opposition to the Tories? Certainly not on Brexit- advocating for a "Soft" Brexit and backing it up with Farage's comments of a Norway style agreement would have a lot of success with voters, but they have gone for the "Hard" Brexit route.

Well I was referring to the fact that on the political compass, labour have shifted further left into Lib Dem land, whereas Tory have shifted left into Labour land. UKIP are nothing but traditional conservatives. So where does that leave Lib Dem?
Original post by Voi
Well I was referring to the fact that on the political compass, labour have shifted further left into Lib Dem land, whereas Tory have shifted left into Labour land. UKIP are nothing but traditional conservatives. So where does that leave Lib Dem?

Interesting, although I disagree. I think the party that has effectively been sucked up are the Green Party- there are a lot of labour policies that were on Green manifestos previously, as you say evidence of Labour's leftward shift. I think the Lib Dems are still slightly unique from a labour- a "higher taxes less and borrow less than Labour, cut less than the Tories".

I think there will be a tactical conservative vote in Sheffield Hallam to keep Nick Clegg in office. The Lib Dems are trying hard to get the conservative vote here, and given the Tories have no chance at winning, I do imagine many will vote for Clegg to keep Labour out.

As for this thread, i'll likely be sticking with the Dimbleby on the BBC.
In!

I'll be going to work the next day too.
Original post by sr90
In!

I'll be going to work the next day too.

Pizza and/or alcohol ready for the night? :tongue: Might as well go the whole way!
Original post by MrDystopia
Pizza and/or alcohol ready for the night? :tongue: Might as well go the whole way!

I have two widescreen TVs, laptop, iPad (for Twitter), pizza & plenty of money in my SkyBet account. I'm raring to go.

This'll be my 3rd political all nighter in the last 12 months.
In. :colone:

Drinks, various other bits, phone and TV ready. BBC coverage.

Very excited. GO AND VOTE everyone. :smile:

:rofl:
No way I'll manage to stay awake, but I'll hang on till the exit poll. :smile:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Young Jezza's looking a bit porkier there.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
I don't know how I'm going to pull off an all nighter for the election and do my bio and business exam the next day :')
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

:lol:

Counting the ways Tony turned out to be wrong, #3314. (2017 edition)
You would only want to stay up all night if you enjoy watching progressive people losing their seats to a robot financed by hedge funds and offshored corporate interests. It's going to be depressing stuff and yet further proof of the control the Daily Mail has over the basic terms of national political dialogues, recycled through obedient tools in the BBC and other main media outlets.

Quick Reply

Latest