The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zayn008
Hi! Thanks for replying,

So question 5 from here was tough http://mei.org.uk/files/papers/C3_2014_June.pdf

If they give it in the format of say find dy/dt and give the value of dy/dx and an equation for x in terms of T I can usually do it as it's just a matter of differentiating and cancelling out but I can never do the worded ones and i think thats because i dont actually know whats going on, i just know the technique to getting the answer which doesn't work well in a worded scenario

So in question 5, you need to find the rate of increase when r = 8. In other words, you need to find drdt\frac {dr}{dt} then subtitute in r = 8.

Using the chain rule, I use this tip that exam solutions taught me which is drdt=drd×ddt\frac {dr}{dt} = \frac {dr}{d } \times \frac {d }{dt}
Now the dd is a variable that we don't know but we can use the information from the question to find it out and it will be the volume because we can calculate dVdr\frac {dV}{dr}

We also know that the balloon is inflated at a constant rate of
Unparseable latex formula:

10cm^3 s^-^1

. I know that by looking at the units, cm3cm^3 is the unit for volume and

s^-^1

is the unit per second. "per second" already implies that there is a rate of change. So now dVdt=10\frac {dV}{dt} = 10

We're told that V=43πr3V = \frac {4}{3} \pi r^3 \Rightarrow dVdr=4πr2\frac {dV}{dr} = 4 \pi r^2

Let's go back to the chain rule and putting the V in, drdt=drdV×dVdt\frac {dr}{dt} = \frac {dr}{dV} \times \frac {dV}{dt}

So we get drdt=14πr2×10\frac {dr}{dt} = \frac {1}{4 \pi r^2} \times 10 hence drdt=52πr2\frac {dr}{dt} = \frac {5}{2 \pi r^2}

Now that we have drdt\frac {dr}{dt}, substitute in r=8r = 8 to find the rate of change at this point.

Best advice I can give is to use the chain rule tip that exam solutions taught me earlier on in this question as I mentioned. Try to break the question down. I went through this example step by step to show that it's not that bad as it looks!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 21
Quick question:
say you've got something like: 4 - x^2 = |2x -1|
you can +/- the RHS to get:
x^2 + 2x - 5 = 0, or x^2 -2x - 3 = 0
But each of these quadratics only gives one solution that works, and I can see from the graph that there are only 2 points of intersection.
The ms says something about x > 1/2 for one of them and x <1/2 for the other; does anyone know what does this means? (ms attached)
capture.png
Hey fellas, struggling to understand last year's mark scheme for the last question.

The second to last part states: show cos (x ) = -5/13

The next part then replaces x with 2x -70

You proceed to find the solutions for cos (2x-70) = -5/13

That's fine, but using sin (x)^2 + cos (x)^2 = 1 and subbing back in, you'll find sin(x) = -24/26, solving this you find another solution in range, 1.3 to 1dp

However this isn't on the mark scheme and the final a1 mark is correct answers in range only, can someone explain why this solution is Invalid?
Reply 23
Original post by DubDub2017
Hey fellas, struggling to understand last year's mark scheme for the last question.

The second to last part states: show cos (x ) = -5/13

The next part then replaces x with 2x -70

You proceed to find the solutions for cos (2x-70) = -5/13

That's fine, but using sin (x)^2 + cos (x)^2 = 1 and subbing back in, you'll find sin(x) = -24/26, solving this you find another solution in range, 1.3 to 1dp

However this isn't on the mark scheme and the final a1 mark is correct answers in range only, can someone explain why this solution is Invalid?

What did you solve to find your other solution?
Original post by Matt#
What did you solve to find your other solution?

Sin(x)^2 +(-5/13)^2 = 1
Sin(x)^2 = 1 - 25/169
Sin(x)^2 = 144/169
Sin(x) = +-(12/13)

Subbing back into (sec(x) - tan(x) = -5)
(1 / cos(x)) - (sin(x) / cos(x)) = -5
(1 / ( -5/13)) - (12/13 / -5/13) = - 1/5 Which isn't correct, hence sin(x) =/ 12/13
(1/ (-5/13)) - (-12/13 / -5/13) = -5 Which is correct, hence sin(x) = -12/13

Sin(2x -70) = -12/13
2x-70 = -67.38, -112.62, (there are more solutions but these would be out of range, (-90<x<90))
2x = 2.62, -42.62
x = 1.31, -21.3

However, x = 1.31 is not in the mark scheme, hence if you wrote that answer down they would take a mark off you, however I can't see why.

Take a look at the mark scheme, it states 'Allow no other extras in interval'
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by DubDub2017
Sin(x)^2 +(-5/13)^2 = 1
Sin(x)^2 = 1 - 25/169
Sin(x)^2 = 144/169
Sin(x) = +-(12/13)

Subbing back into (sec(x) - tan(x) = -5)
(1 / cos(x)) - (sin(x) / cos(x)) = -5
(1 / ( -5/13)) - (12/13 / -5/13) = - 1/5 Which isn't correct, hence sin(x) =/ 12/13
(1/ (-5/13)) - (-12/13 / -5/13) = -5 Which is correct, hence sin(x) = -12/13

Sin(2x -70) = -12/13
2x-70 = -67.38, -112.62, (there are more solutions but these would be out of range, (-90<x<90))
2x = 2.62, -42.62
x = 1.31, -21.3

However, x = 1.31 is not in the mark scheme, hence if you wrote that answer down they would take a mark off you, however I can't see why.

Take a look at the mark scheme, it states 'Allow no other extras in interval'

The question starts "Hence solve the equation" meaning you needed to use an answer from a previous part of the question. You needed to solve cos(2x-70) = -5/13.

Although you have correctly found that -1.31 is a solution to sin(2x-70)=-12/13 it does not work for cos(2x-70) = -5/13.

You are not expected to know why but just remember to use a previous answer if the question uses the work hence.
Original post by Matt#
The question starts "Hence solve the equation" meaning you needed to use an answer from a previous part of the question. You needed to solve cos(2x-70) = -5/13.

Although you have correctly found that -1.31 is a solution to sin(2x-70)=-12/13 it does not work for cos(2x-70) = -5/13.

You are not expected to know why but just remember to use a previous answer if the question uses the work hence.

To do part one I found sin(x) and cos(x) subbed back into for Sec^2(x) and Tan^2(x)which gives the correct answer, I knew the proper way to do it but I was practicing it other ways.

Solving the original equation
(1-sin(x))/(cos(x)) = -5
(1 + sin^2(x) -2sin(x)) = -5(1 - sin^2(x))
You solve that, and get a value for sin(x) after subbing back in, then using sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1, you get a value for cos(x) after subbing back in

Then (sec(x) + tan(x))(sec(x) - tan(x)) = sec^2(x) - tan^2(x)
Sub in your values to the R.H.S and sub in -5 for (sec(x)-tan(x))
You get (sec(x)+tan(x))(-5) = 1 which gives you the answer

I've shown it by solving for sin(x) and cos(x) and I can't see any problem with allowing this answer instead of using the sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1 solution, it's just a much more lengthy approach, but you did end up using sin(x), so the hence part would be applicable to sin(x) as well, unless AQA didn't allow the solution I proposed above for solving the original equation.
Just read the examiner report just in case and lo and behold:

(b) Students successful in (a)(ii) often earned some marks in this part and others were still able to access some marks by using a correct method with an incorrect value for cosx. The mark scheme did not penalise students who gave the extra ‘solution’.

Probably should of done that before posting here, still the mark scheme had me worried with 'no extra solutions in range'.
Original post by zayn008
Hi! Thanks for replying,

So question 5 from here was tough http://mei.org.uk/files/papers/C3_2014_June.pdf

If they give it in the format of say find dy/dt and give the value of dy/dx and an equation for x in terms of T I can usually do it as it's just a matter of differentiating and cancelling out but I can never do the worded ones and i think thats because i dont actually know whats going on, i just know the technique to getting the answer which doesn't work well in a worded scenario

does the OCR spec have same content as Edexcel?
Reply 29
im so damn scared guys. has anyone got any tips for revising core 3? :frown: ive got 5 days to revise it and my target is an A* so I need 90 UMS or over right? but last C3 mock I got a C/D. any tips!??! seriously???!?! PLEASE
Reply 30
Original post by Virolite
does the OCR spec have same content as Edexcel?

Mostly, but i think some stuff is mixed between C3 and C4 so something in C3 OCR could be in edexcel C4
Reply 31
Original post by ManLike007
So in question 5, you need to find the rate of increase when r = 8. In other words, you need to find drdt\frac {dr}{dt} then subtitute in r = 8.

Using the chain rule, I use this tip that exam solutions taught me which is drdt=drd×ddt\frac {dr}{dt} = \frac {dr}{d } \times \frac {d }{dt}
Now the dd is a variable that we don't know but we can use the information from the question to find it out and it will be the volume because we can calculate dVdr\frac {dV}{dr}

We also know that the balloon is inflated at a constant rate of

10cm^3 s^-^1

. I know that by looking at the units, cm3cm^3 is the unit for volume and

s^-^1

is the unit per second. "per second" already implies that there is a rate of change. So now dVdt=10\frac {dV}{dt} = 10

We're told that V=43πr3V = \frac {4}{3} \pi r^3 \Rightarrow dVdr=4πr2\frac {dV}{dr} = 4 \pi r^2

Let's go back to the chain rule and putting the V in, drdt=drdV×dVdt\frac {dr}{dt} = \frac {dr}{dV} \times \frac {dV}{dt}

So we get drdt=14πr2×10\frac {dr}{dt} = \frac {1}{4 \pi r^2} \times 10 hence drdt=52πr2\frac {dr}{dt} = \frac {5}{2 \pi r^2}

Now that we have drdt\frac {dr}{dt}, substitute in r=8r = 8 to find the rate of change at this point.

Best advice I can give is to use the chain rule tip that exam solutions taught me earlier on in this question as I mentioned. Try to break the question down. I went through this example step by step to show that it's not that bad as it looks!

Thanks a million! That tip is great, I completely get it now :biggrin:

Thanks for your time, really appreciate it :smile:
How does one go about getting close to or 100UMS in C3/C4.

I was underprepared for C3 last year and got 88, and made a silly mistake in C4 and got 86.

Need to make sure it's banged this year, tips please?
Original post by Teenage Hype
How does one go about getting close to or 100UMS in C3/C4.

I was underprepared for C3 last year and got 88, and made a silly mistake in C4 and got 86.

Need to make sure it's banged this year, tips please?

Just know your module inside out and don't make silly mistakes. Easier said than done, but good luck.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by 14buzz20
Screenshot (21).png

Anyone know how to do part (B). I got to θ = 2θ - π/3.

If cosx=cosy\cos x = \cos y then an obvious solution is x=yx = y but there are others if you consider CAST/the graphs/general solutions. Can you think what they are?
I'm ready for C3. I'm just hoping I don't misread a question or miscopy anything tomorrow, I always randomly change my 5s into 2s for some reason?
Reply 36
Original post by JezDayy
I'm ready for C3. I'm just hoping I don't misread a question or miscopy anything tomorrow, I always randomly change my 5s into 2s for some reason?

I'm hoping for you that there will be no 5s in the exam tomorrow :smile:
Original post by notnek
I'm hoping for you that there will be no 5s in the exam tomorrow :smile:

Thank you haha but there probably will be, I'll just have to tackle each question slowly and not rush. :smile:
Original post by notnek
If cosx=cosy\cos x = \cos y then an obvious solution is x=yx = y but there are others if you consider CAST/the graphs/general solutions. Can you think what they are?

I put pi/3 in cos and all?
Original post by TIF141
Quick question:
say you've got something like: 4 - x^2 = |2x -1|
you can +/- the RHS to get:
x^2 + 2x - 5 = 0, or x^2 -2x - 3 = 0
But each of these quadratics only gives one solution that works, and I can see from the graph that there are only 2 points of intersection.
The ms says something about x > 1/2 for one of them and x <1/2 for the other; does anyone know what does this means? (ms attached)
capture.png

not sure if anyone answered, but look at the graph and where it reflects. when it reflects, from then on it's negative and hence there's a range (and hence the x>0.5 bit).

Latest