Have been at Sussex for a year. Starting my Computer Science degree now.

Watch
Cristiean
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello there,

I've been at Sussex doing the Foundation Year in Psychology which I really enjoyed.

This year I will start my Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence degree.

Feel free to ask me about the uni, the psychology foundation year, or anything else.

The main reason of posting this is to meet future colleagues. So if you will study CS at Sussex, do message me.

Take care
KristinaMaria
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cristiean)
Hello there,

I've been at Sussex doing the Foundation Year in Psychology which I really enjoyed.

Feel free to ask me about the uni, the psychology foundation year, or anything else.

The main reason of posting this is to meet future colleagues. So if you will study CS at Sussex, do message me.

Take care
Hello! Can I ask if you stayed in halls during your foundation year?
AdamKTomkinson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What requirements were there for the foundation year?How come you did not do a foundation year orientated around computing?
AdamKTomkinson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What requirements were there for the foundation year?How come you did not do a foundation year orientated around computing?
PauMegurine
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm starting this year at sussex doing a foundation on computer science and later on want to do cs with artificial intelligence as well, how was your experience? I'm pretty excited specially about the a.i. part ^^
and why did you do the psychology foundation?
najmat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm starting the foundation course in psychology this year
Are you an international student ?
Cristiean
Rep:
?
(Original post by KMLeeson)
Hello! Can I ask if you stayed in halls during your foundation year?
Hey,

Yes, I've lived in East Slope. It got quite dirty and loud at times, but I was just unlucky with my flat. There were other cleaner and quieter flats.
Cristiean
Rep:
?
(Original post by AdamKTomkinson)
I cannot remember the requirements. I'm sure they are posted on each Foundation Year page. I assume they're not that high.

I wanted to follow my passion for psychology and study it. And I am most happy I did, but I realised that I want to study computer science more and keep psychology-related business as a side interest.
Cristiean
Rep:
?
(Original post by PauMegurine)
I'm starting this year at sussex doing a foundation on computer science and later on want to do cs with artificial intelligence as well, how was your experience? I'm pretty excited specially about the a.i. part ^^
and why did you do the psychology foundation?
The Psychology and Computer science foundation years are part of different schools. However, I can tell you a bit about my experience and am sure it can be generalised to some extent.

The foundation year was more serious than I thought (which is a good thing). There were a lot of extra activities that I attended (trips to different museums, plays, concerts, film screenings, institution visits) which made me understand British culture better, and not only.
Throughout the year I felt encouraged by the staff to take part in all sorts of projects or activities. I followed on to be a Student Ambassador for the year, a maths mentor for the Business course next year and even arranged to involve in research this summer with one of the lecturers.

I assume every experience is different for every individual. For me, I had clear goals at the beginning of the year (get high grades, improve specific areas of my academic skills, improve my English, make connections.. and so on) and feel like I accomplished (and maybe even over-accomplished) most of them.

As a suggestion for all of you who are starting a Foundation Year (and not only): Be specific of what you want to achieve from the experience, but flexible enough to reconfigure your expectations along the way. Some things WILL be enormously much better than you expect, and others WILL not happen at all. Be like water

As for the reason for studying psychology, I've answered for a previous question

P.S. I'm freaking excited for the A.I. parts as well
Cristiean
Rep:
?
(Original post by najmat)
I'm starting the foundation course in psychology this year
Are you an international student ?
Exciting. I am an European student. The university has Home students, EU students and International students (outside the EEA)

There are many non-British students at the University, and Sussex is great specifically for its student/staff diversity. I personally never felt a difference between me and other students judging by skin colour, language or nationality. People are so different, that I guess being "normal" would feel weird.
Hay12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
whats the lowest grades they accept for the science foundation years through clearing
yourmate'smate
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What grades did you get and in which subjects?
DasHarry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Cristiean)
Hello there,

Take care
Hi there,
I've heard the SU at Sussex is quite poor. Has this affect your first year negatively? Did you join many societies and are there or will there be more than those listed on the Uni website? What else did you do in your first year?
Thanks, Harry ☺
username4551226
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What if I don't meet the required Maths GCSE grade? Sussex is my firm choice but I need a grade 6!
Blankie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BalonSwann)
What if I don't meet the required Maths GCSE grade? Sussex is my firm choice but I need a grade 6!
I didn't get a grade 6 for maths, I ended up having a 5, however they still gave me an offer of BBD*. If you give in your application early and have a good personal statement it should be okay I think. I hope you get in!
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BalonSwann)
I wouldn't worry, I didn't meet my entry requirements a few years ago when I applied and I still got in. As long as you are 'close' then you should be fine.
username4551226
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks! Hopefully they will be flexible with a 5
(Original post by Blankie)
I didn't get a grade 6 for maths, I ended up having a 5, however they still gave me an offer of BBD*. If you give in your application early and have a good personal statement it should be okay I think. I hope you get in!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (20)
28.17%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.86%
No I am happy with my choice (40)
56.34%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.63%

Watched Threads