Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Pharmacy but GCSE English Language! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi, recently got my AS results they were okay (A bio, A I.T, B chem, C sociology) droppin socio.
    for gcse i got 9 passes- A*A* Science, A Maths BUT i got a C in GCSE English language and i really really wanted to study pharmacy at nottingham or manchester but they want B in english language I got an A in English Speaking and Listening tho. Im wondering if i should bother applying to them??? Any point?

please help

ReputationRep:
    best thing is to contact nottingham/manchester directly about your gcse grade, they're the ones that can give you a definite answer. if you really want to apply to one, then apply and hope for the best. you still have five other choices. probably best to apply to a not so competitive one (such as portsmouth/aberdeen). my step dad's an admissions tutor for pharmacy so i know a little about it. pm me if you have any questions.

ReputationRep:
    hi mate, thanks for reply but ive rang/email and wrote to the universities and i always get the same answer that they are not sure what would happen with my application
    was jus wondering if any1 hear has succesfully applied there with a C grade at gcse english

thanks again for reply

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to play it safe, you could try retaking your english language gcse in january to get it up to a B, although it may hinder your A2s. I know that Kings College London for definite just require a pass for gcse english so you should be alright there.

ReputationRep:
    yup i was thinking of doing that actually, taking english again!

thanks

anymore?

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit rubbish that neither of the admissions tutors were much help. Are Manchester and Nottingham the only pharmacy schools that specify you need at least a B? Saying this, if you've got a great personal statement and a glowing reference they should at least offer you an interview, where you can impress them more.

Also when I went for my interview at Manchester we had to write about a pages worth of writing for them to look at. I wish I could be more help but I'm not sure how much GCSE grades come into play, all I can remember is when I was at Manchester I could see he'd got my UCAS form in front of him and my GCSE grades for English, Maths and Science were highlighted and ticked ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    It's a bit rubbish that neither of the admissions tutors were much help. Are Manchester and Nottingham the only pharmacy schools that specify you need at least a B? Saying this, if you've got a great personal statement and a glowing reference they should at least offer you an interview, where you can impress them more.

Also when I went for my interview at Manchester we had to write about a pages worth of writing for them to look at. I wish I could be more help but I'm not sure how much GCSE grades come into play, all I can remember is when I was at Manchester I could see he'd got my UCAS form in front of him and my GCSE grades for English, Maths and Science were highlighted and ticked ...
    But most universities are strict with their minimum requirements and if you don't satisfy them you're application may get binned immediately.

ReputationRep:
    True, but it's not like he got an E and he did get an A in speaking and listening. I think the maths and science are probably more important in this case, as they'll be able to tell he's competent in English from his personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    yep thanks guys and thanks emmz!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.