The Student Room Group

Urgent help required with electric fields question

20170605_140203.jpg

How on EARTH do you do this?
Reply 1
Original post by Assmaster2
Ok so first let us start with the definition of electric field strength - it is the force felt per unit mass in an electric field BY A POSITIVE TEST CHARGE.

At P the horizontal force (AP) felt by a positive test charge is unaffected by A initially.

So you can ignore A for this part and just work out the electric field strength from B! Hope that helps for part 1

I am very confused about what you mean.
Original post by ayyboss

Okay bro would be great if you could tell me what is confusing you in the question.
Original post by ayyboss

OH MAN, I can see why you thought it was confusing ! I was talking about the wrong directions as I read part a and b mixed up! so sorry dude. Will do it tomorrow when I'm not in bed xD
Original post by Assmaster2
OH MAN, I can see why you thought it was confusing ! I was talking about the wrong directions as I read part a and b mixed up! so sorry dude. Will do it tomorrow when I'm not in bed xD

If possible, would you be able to show your working for each part? I don't understand this question at all :\
Original post by LeCroissant
If possible, would you be able to show your working for each part? I don't understand this question at all :\

Electric_field_01.JPG

I “coloured” the positive and negative charge.

(i)
The positive charge would produce an electric field at P and the direction is shown in red.
The electric field at P due A would be

EA=kQArAP2 |E_A| = \dfrac{k Q_A}{r_{AP}^2} -------(1)

where k is 9.0 × 109 N m2 C-2.

(ii)
The negative charge would produce an electric field at P with the direction shown in blue.
The electric field at P due B would be

EB=kQBrPB2 |E_B| = \dfrac{k Q_B}{r_{PB}^2} -------(2)

See the following website and employ the method to find the resultant field.
http://www.phyley.com/find-resultant-force

Remember to convert the separation in mm to m before you substitute them into the eqn (1) and (2).

Quick Reply

Latest