Still annoyed about oxbridge/imperial/ucl rejection 2 years later Watch

lordofbutthurt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Title is kind of misleading since I never actually applied, but would have got rejected if I did. I'll try to sum it up

>depression growing up due to stressful home
>got expelled from school (went from sad all the time to very aggressive after years of it), failed GCSEs (actually failed, not "only" As instead of A*)
>did nothing for a while
>got fed up and went to new school for A levels, get predicted Ds got very high As at AS
>went to practise sessions for the oxford entrance test with "posh" teacher, was very clearly the best person there
>didn't bother applying anywhere in the top 10 due to GCSEs/getting expelled, first choice would have been oxford though

I thought I'd got over this but
>getting straight A* at a level (far above what I needed)
>the teacher who helped me the most telling me I messed up (in a nice way, he said the whole situation was a shame)
>meeting people who got into oxbridge/imperial/ucl and dropped out at my uni (seriously overestimated them)
has magnified butthurt 1000x and it still annoys me after my first year at uni.

Can anyone think of anything to say to help me get over this?

I want to get past it and start enjoying uni, but I just can't.

(If this has came off the wrong way I am not saying that I think I'd be guaranteed a place at oxbridge/imperial/ucl, but I think I defintely could have applied.)
(Also I know this website makes people feel bad/is intimidating, and if you passed A levels and got into any uni you should be happy, it's just me being delusional.)
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are lots of successful people who haven't gone to those universities or even universities at all
lordofbutthurt
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
There are lots of successful people who haven't gone to those universities or even universities at all
I know but I'm pretty sure it helps quite a lot.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lordofbutthurt)
I know but I'm pretty sure it helps quite a lot.
hmm maybe you could do a post grad degree at those universities? is it possible to transfer?
lordofbutthurt
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
hmm maybe you could do a post grad degree at those universities? is it possible to transfer?
You can't transfer to oxford while studying, and I expect I would have to do my GCSEs again if I wanted to. It would be a massive pain and waste of money especially since I could obviously get rejected.

>post grad degree
I've thought about this, but I think the "prestige" of my uni would stop that. I know officially it doesn't matter, but I have a hard time believing it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (119)
17.84%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (70)
10.49%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (117)
17.54%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (99)
14.84%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (64)
9.6%
How can I be the best version of myself? (198)
29.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed