This discussion is closed.
Yoppers
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello all,

I am currently in year 11 doing my GCSEs and I'm planning on doing Computer Science, Government and Politics and Maths for A level, along with an additional AS in music, with a focus on Computer Science as a career path. My only worry is that I will be unable to go to university to study Computer Science due to having my request to do A level maths rejected as it is not my strongest subject (achieving a high B/low A, 6/7).

Looking online I have seen that many universities list Maths as either a requirement or a recommendation which is the reason why I selected it for my A level options, even though it is one of my weaker subjects which I do not enjoy. I struggle to remember how to use formulas and with timing in an exam situation however can do them perfectly well when given enough time.

I was curious as to whether or not my ability in computer science would be good enough for me to get into a university without taking A level maths, as I have achieved 77/80 on my coursework and am on track for around 90% or more on the written paper with a predicted A*, or not.

Thank you in advanced.
aidanjh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think it depends which university you are thinking of applying to. I'm in year 13 and I have a mate who is in the same position as you (Does Computer Science but not Maths) and he is holding an offer for computer science. The best way to find out if the University will be ok with you not studying computer science is by asking them either in an email or open day. I found when applying for computer science that it was the more 'prestigious' universities or universities with higher grade requirements that stated that maths is a required A level in their requirements. Hope this helps, it's definitely possible to study computer science without a maths A level but probably depends which university you want to study at.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm studying a Computer Science degree at a University that didn't require any form of Maths A-Level, but it's reputation isn't exactly in the best leagues. Universities that don't require maths tend to do a module on calculus in the first year.
NecroKamios
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm graduating this year from Warwick having just finished my exams for the Computer Science BSc. I'll be happy to field any questions you would like to throw my way.

The maths requirement as aidanjh states is very much only prevalent in more 'prestigious' universities. As someone graduating from Warwick which externally seems like it is one, I can tell you it's not all that great. Programming in general does not require any significant math ability beyond GCSE. You could be a database administrator who works mostly in SQL and C# and not require it. The only reason it becomes a requirement is because a lot of modules on CS courses offered by certain uni's have a large mathematical component.

My first year had two math modules that acted as bases for future modules (sadly the relevant math-heavy modules only appear in the 3rd year so you would have mostly forgotten it if not well practised). The first one was very logic based and had you interpret sentences as logic and output them in logical form for example. The 2nd one was about 60% of the further maths A-level content with a few extras thrown in. Given that you have 8 modules in a year, if you have not had previous experience in maths, you would fail that exam (and I did, used A-level FM content revision to pass retake). FYI I did only A-level maths and got an A. The 3rd year provided us with modules like Computer Graphics, Mobile Robotics, Machine Learning, Neural Computing which all quite math reliant to some extent.

tl:dr Take the Maths A-level because it gives you an edge above applicants who never took it. You can get into low requirement uni's without it, but I would still highly recommend it.
Michael Willis
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have a first class degree in computer science, and I did not do maths at A level. I think some universities require it, but from my own experience and in my opinion you can do CS completely fine without it.

In fact I know many who got a reasonable, bad, and even terrible result at maths GCSE and they have managed to do a CS degree.

I would say if you can work a calculator you are fine, but I know someone who literally couldn't do that and he is brilliant at computing, got his CS degree and even doing well at Master's level.

Many universities don't require maths, and to be honest many won't even require computer science at A level as most degrees are taught from the ground up anyway (unless they state other wise). Most care on the ucas points. My advice look around, attend open days, speak to different universities and see what they require. Remember all universities are different. Finally, you could mention your CS material in your personal statement, application and interviews to make yourself look more impressive, but ultimately don't panic as you most likely do well.
username3843068
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Michael Willis)
I have a first class degree in computer science, and I did not do maths at A level. I think some universities require it, but from my own experience and in my opinion you can do CS completely fine without it.

In fact I know many who got a reasonable, bad, and even terrible result at maths GCSE and they have managed to do a CS degree.

I would say if you can work a calculator you are fine, but I know someone who literally couldn't do that and he is brilliant at computing, got his CS degree and even doing well at Master's level.

Many universities don't require maths, and to be honest many won't even require computer science at A level as most degrees are taught from the ground up anyway (unless they state other wise). Most care on the ucas points. My advice look around, attend open days, speak to different universities and see what they require. Remember all universities are different. Finally, you could mention your CS material in your personal statement, application and interviews to make yourself look more impressive, but ultimately don't panic as you most likely do well.
Hello! As someone who is thinking about doing computer sci and uni, but doesn't really like maths [its just kinda interesting I guess] will it matter the fact that I dont really like maths?

Also, im not "naturally" good at maths, Im average (for someone thinking of doing comp sci), will this affect me? (im in y11 sitting at a low A* / an 8)
username3079870
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 12390859081)
Hello! As someone who is thinking about doing computer sci and uni, but doesn't really like maths [its just kinda interesting I guess] will it matter the fact that I dont really like maths?

Also, im not "naturally" good at maths, Im average (for someone thinking of doing comp sci), will this affect me? (im in y11 sitting at a low A* / an 8)
It will depend on your uni. If you go somewhere like Oxbridge, Imperial, Edinburgh, Bristol or Warwick all seem to have heavy math content.

If you check out the sticky at the top of this forum you will see a bunch of uni's with no math a level requirement.

If you go to one of those uni's with an A/A* in GCSE maths you'll be fine.
jemma Forino
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi - would you recommend your uni course? If so, which uni was it at and what tariff do they require, please? Thanks Jemma
Nasr25
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Bro can you suggest any good universities which Dont require mathsIt would be really helpful for me as my Maths is 0
Mr anonymus365
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Nasr25)
Bro can you suggest any good universities which Dont require mathsIt would be really helpful for me as my Maths is 0
My friend got into computer science at Kent without maths but he did Cambridge technical in IT.
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Nasr25)
There is a sticky that tells you all the different universities - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5007920
Hammad(214508)
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Do maths, you got 2 years to work on it enough time to go some 0% math knowledge to A* in A-levels
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.49%
No - I have already returned home (21)
12.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25%

Watched Threads