What does it mean by find the real root of f(x) Watch

username3162332
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was doing an iteration question and in part be they asked me to find the real root of the iteration . Like what's that?
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rxha)
I was doing an iteration question and in part be they asked me to find the real root of the iteration . Like what's that?
Your ordinary every day root.

If you never studied complex numbers then you don't have to worry about it.
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
**** explanation but a real number is one that definitely exists, complex (non real) numbers include stuff such as square root -1 which you have to express in more complex ways as they shouldn't exist. A root for f(x) is a value of x where the function is = 0. Basically its just asking you to find a root for the function that does exist.
Towcestermaths
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Vikingninja)
**** explanation but a real number is one that definitely exists, complex (non real) numbers include stuff such as square root -1 which you have to express in more complex ways as they shouldn't exist. A root for f(x) is a value of x where the function is = 0. Basically its just asking you to find a root for the function that does exist.
Now that is a topic for conversation. In what way does -1.732 or -pi, exist but 3 +2i doesn't?
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Towcestermaths)
Now that is a topic for conversation. In what way does -1.732 or -pi, exist but 3 +2i doesn't?
...in the sense that x\in \mathbb{R} is different from x\in \mathbb{C}.
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zacken)
...in the sense that x\in \mathbb{R} is different from x\in \mathbb{C}.
Complex numbers are just as real as 'real' numbers

Posted from TSR Mobile
B_9710
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kyx)

Posted from TSR Mobile
The complex number i is certainly not real as the number 1. They both exist, sure but i is certainly not real at all.
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Towcestermaths)
"Real" is not used in a conventional sense and does not really refer to existence. In Layman's terms, real numbers are numbers can be expressed along an infinite, one dimensional, number line. i most certainly does, and should, exist, and its value is \sqrt{-1}. If we claim that complex numbers "should not", or "technically do not" exist then many concepts will fall apart.

In all technicality you can write any given real number as n+0i, meaning that any real number could be interpreted as a complex number. There is no part of the conventional definition that implies that real numbers and complex numbers are completely mutually exclusive in this sense (most definitions state it to be a number in the form a+ib). Obviously, complex numbers with a non-zero complex part cannot be considered real numbers.
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by B_9710)
The complex number i is certainly not real as the number 1. They both exist, sure but i is certainly not real at all.
What _gcx said.

The term 'real' number is an unfortunate name

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jai Sandhu
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kyx)

Posted from TSR Mobile
That has nothing to do with what Zacken said.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.93%
No I am happy with my course choice (489)
58.99%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.48%

Watched Threads