hamounm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

I'm a prospective undergraduate student from Germany and currently deciding between applying for Economics or Accounting and Finance for 2018. My choices for Economics are LSE, Durham, UCL, Warwick and St. Andrews - for Accounting and Finance it is LSE, Durham, Warwick, City and Leeds.

It is very likely that I will meet the entry requirements for most of these courses, so something between A*AA and AAA (converted from German Abitur). The "big" problem are my maths grades (concerning Economics), which could not be sufficient (probably B).

My desired career is investment banking and I definitely want to go into further study directly after my Bachelor. I am (intellectually) more interested in Economics (maybe even Joint Honours with Politics), because I am afraid that Finance alone wouldn't be a sufficiently broad education, in case I wan't to pursue a different career later on. In addition to that, I could study Finance for my Masters (preferably at Oxbridge).

So my question is, are my chances to get into the unis listed above for Economics drastically hindered if I don't meet the maths entry requirements? I only want to go into top unis, so I would instead definitely apply for A&F if that were the case.

Also, do IBs (e.g. Goldman Sachs) care about your undergraduate uni, if you have a Masters degree from a top uni (e.g. Bachelor at Leeds and Masters at Oxbridge)?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long text.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hamounm)
Hello,

I'm a prospective undergraduate student from Germany and currently deciding between applying for Economics or Accounting and Finance for 2018. My choices for Economics are LSE, Durham, UCL, Warwick and St. Andrews - for Accounting and Finance it is LSE, Durham, Warwick, City and Leeds.

It is very likely that I will meet the entry requirements for most of these courses, so something between A*AA and AAA (converted from German Abitur). The "big" problem are my maths grades (concerning Economics), which could not be sufficient (probably B).

My desired career is investment banking and I definitely want to go into further study directly after my Bachelor. I am (intellectually) more interested in Economics (maybe even Joint Honours with Politics), because I am afraid that Finance alone wouldn't be a sufficiently broad education, in case I wan't to pursue a different career later on. In addition to that, I could study Finance for my Masters (preferably at Oxbridge).

So my question is, are my chances to get into the unis listed above for Economics drastically hindered if I don't meet the maths entry requirements? I only want to go into top unis, so I would instead definitely apply for A&F if that were the case.

Also, do IBs (e.g. Goldman Sachs) care about your undergraduate uni, if you have a Masters degree from a top uni (e.g. Bachelor at Leeds and Masters at Oxbridge)?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long text.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4294244

This thread may help to answer some of your questions I'm sure it also has answers to other things like your masters vs bachelors uni which is an interesting question
hamounm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4294244

This thread may help to answer some of your questions I'm sure it also has answers to other things like your masters vs bachelors uni which is an interesting question
Thanks, really helped me. It didn't answer my Masters question though unfortunately.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hamounm)
Thanks, really helped me. It didn't answer my Masters question though unfortunately.
Ah I see, in that case it's worth asking on the most relevant sticky or creating a thread of your own.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads