The Student Room Group

failed third year and don't know what to do?

During first semester, i had a lot of personal and financial problems that i have spoken to my tutor and university about in that semester.

They advised me to either fill out a suspension form, to retake the year or to carry on into second semester and try to balance out the modules from first semester.

After speaking to my parents, i decided to carry on with my second semester however because of first semester. I was depressed and barely leaving the house and when i did leave the house i got severe anxiety always thinking someone had something out for me. I had not spoken about these anxieties with the university staff however here is where it takes a turn for the worst.

I had 3 assignments including my dissertation which were all in for a space of about a week, during that week one of my friends commited suicide and i had to go back to london from hull and the day i got back to univeristy.

I found that my house had gotten broken into and they took everything of value including my laptop and usb. At this point i was distraught since i couldn't handle the 3 assignment workload in a week when they each were originally 2 months.

I managed to complete a barely passable disseration topic and finished off one assignment however i found out today from university that i cannot appeal for mitigating circumstances on the ground that i had submitted something.

I wasn't informed on the rule where if you submit something you cannot apply for mitigating circumstances. I was always under the assumption of something is better than nothing.

So my worry is how likely it is for university to allow a third year student to retake if he had failed every single module of that year? My personal reasons are valid but are a bit difficult in finding evidence to support my claim
Original post by barcemo321
During first semester, i had a lot of personal and financial problems that i have spoken to my tutor and university about in that semester.

They advised me to either fill out a suspension form, to retake the year or to carry on into second semester and try to balance out the modules from first semester.

After speaking to my parents, i decided to carry on with my second semester however because of first semester. I was depressed and barely leaving the house and when i did leave the house i got severe anxiety always thinking someone had something out for me. I had not spoken about these anxieties with the university staff however here is where it takes a turn for the worst.

I had 3 assignments including my dissertation which were all in for a space of about a week, during that week one of my friends commited suicide and i had to go back to london from hull and the day i got back to univeristy.

I found that my house had gotten broken into and they took everything of value including my laptop and usb. At this point i was distraught since i couldn't handle the 3 assignment workload in a week when they each were originally 2 months.

I managed to complete a barely passable disseration topic and finished off one assignment however i found out today from university that i cannot appeal for mitigating circumstances on the ground that i had submitted something.

I wasn't informed on the rule where if you submit something you cannot apply for mitigating circumstances. I was always under the assumption of something is better than nothing.

So my worry is how likely it is for university to allow a third year student to retake if he had failed every single module of that year? My personal reasons are valid but are a bit difficult in finding evidence to support my claim

Go and talk to an adviser at the SU.
Go and talk to your mental health/welfare team
You have to read the rules with a view they interpreted them correctly.

The rule is probably that you cannot apply based on evidence you have previously submitted, but there is a chance you could apply based on evidence subsequent to your original appeal. Medical evidence plus any social worker or therapist report would help.

You have to read or someone capable has to read the rules.

You can claim your decision was wrong because you underestimated your depression. Hopefully you carried on seeing the GP?

Anyway get it checked and imo ask to resit the year, but defer until you sort out your depression.

Without evidence it is very difficult. They need ot to sort out the genuinely ill from those who lack the academic ability or havent worked.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending