The Student Room Group

Why are some people on the left so intolerant of other people's views?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Morsey_
I really do hope that the young voters don't embarrass our generation when the results begin to trickle in later tonight. It was very poor in the EU referendum with the attacks on the older generation etc.

Go back to your retirement home, Norman.

The "older generation" can die already.
Reply 21
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I can't vouch for anyone else, but I don't think Tory voters are generally selfish or stupid. There are far too many of them for that to be true, and life is a little more complicated than that. I do think a lot of them are misguided, which is completely understandable - enormous resources have been poured into systematically misguiding vast swathes of the British public. I think a lot of them vote Tory because it's what their family has always voted, because it's just the done thing, which is equally understandable.

yeah that's what I want more of I guess, what you say above. That's fair to say.
I just want more people to be like that I guess, and just not generalise as much.
Original post by hpcp
It's more personally attacking someone because they vote for a party that I disagree with. It's fine to argue on policies, but to generalise a whole lot of voters simply based on the party they vote for and call them selfish, or stupid, I don't think that's right tbh.
And this applies to all voters not just the left. It seems though to me that the left are more vocal about calling voters selfish stupid idiots etc.

The right are probably as bad but you see much more left wing media, due to the fact Twitter, Facebook and other social medias are notoriously left wing. If you look at Twitter, Corbyn will win by a huge majority and also we wouldn't have been leaving the EU based off the opinions of Twitter.
Original post by hpcp
See this is the problem. You can't say they are just selfish. You need to respect what their political views are, if you have any change of winning conservative voters over. A lot of the working class vote conservative - the largest difference is between the young and the old. People on the right do sometimes fear the left too. The old are more likely to vote conservative. You are making generalisations about people, people have their own reasons for why they vote the way they do.

But they are selfish. Their political views are "I am fine with some people being very rich and a lot poor, coz I am, or I hope to be, one of the rich". That is not a generalization.

So in fact the problem is that you are the one who does not respect the political views of others, but immediately feel threatened by other views, feel called out for what you are. Sad!
Reply 24
Original post by sw20defender
The right are probably as bad but you see much more left wing media, due to the fact Twitter, Facebook and other social medias are notoriously left wing. If you look at Twitter, Corbyn will win by a huge majority and also we wouldn't have been leaving the EU based off the opinions of Twitter.

Yeah, and the thing is no-one calling it out, or saying that it might not be right to say that, spreads it further. People seem happy to say that to the right, but it just seems no-one really does it to the left
Maybe because corbyn is more left than new labour was there is more of it, I'm not sure
Reply 25
Original post by yudothis
But they are selfish. Their political views are "I am fine with some people being very rich and a lot poor, coz I am, or I hope to be, one of the rich". That is not a generalization.

So in fact the problem is that you are the one who does not respect the political views of others, but immediately feel threatened by other views, feel called out for what you are. Sad!

You are missing the point of what I'm saying. It does apply to both the left and right.
and that is a generalisation. Do you even know who I am voting for?

Right wing old media is more prevalent

Original post by hpcp
And this applies to all voters not just the left. It seems though to me that the left are more vocal about calling voters selfish stupid idiots etc.

Where do you think all the online insults come from? They sure don't come from the left. SJW, libtard, etc. are all right wing words.

The reason the left call the right "selfish" and "stupid" is because a) that is what the policies are and b) it has been proven that the more educated one is the more one voted for Remain/Hilary rather than Brexit/Trump. Those are facts.

So it "seems" to you so, because that is the criticism you face, whereas in your bubble you don't even notice the abuse the right win dishes out.
Original post by hpcp
Yeah, and the thing is no-one calling it out, or saying that it might not be right to say that, spreads it further. People seem happy to say that to the right, but it just seems no-one really does it to the left
Maybe because corbyn is more left than new labour was there is more of it, I'm not sure

I think you see a hatred of the right on social media, that stops them from challenging their views, as you instantly get called a UKIP or BNP voter for doing it. To be honest it is the same as it has always been, people have a fear of going against popular opinion until they are alone in the polling booth. That is why we see such an issue with Opinion Polls, as they always inflate the popular opinion- being the left.
Reply 29
Where do you think all the online insults come from? They sure don't come from the left. SJW, libtard, etc. are all right wing words.

The reason the left call the right "selfish" and "stupid" is because a) that is what the policies are and b) it has been proven that the more educated one is the more one voted for Remain/Hilary rather than Brexit/Trump. Those are facts.

So it "seems" to you so, because that is the criticism you face, whereas in your bubble you don't even notice the abuse the right win dishes out.

I'm voting for liberal democrats. Insult me all you like.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by hpcp
You are missing the point of what I'm saying. It does apply to both the left and right.
and that is a generalisation. Do you even know who I am voting for?

I don't think you even understand what your point is.
Original post by AmeliaLost
Right wing old media is more prevalent

But Social Media is the new widely used media, they have way more influence than Newspapers do today.
Original post by hpcp
I'm voting for liberal democrats. Insult me all you like.

Me too (well in my country, but still). Get out of your bubble.
But Social Media is the new widely used media, they have way more influence than Newspapers do today.

Only among <30's.
Reply 34

No it is not what I face, it what I see on social media.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39936927

Libdem increases the most I am aware of that.
Reply 35
Me too (well in my country, but still). Get out of your bubble.

Literally not in a bubble. For young people this is what it is like.
Original post by hpcp
Literally not in a bubble. For young people this is what it is like.

If the vast majority of insults you see is toward the right, then you live in a bubble. Venture to other parts of social media and it will be the exact opposite.
Reply 37
If the vast majority of insults you see is toward the right, then you live in a bubble. Venture to other parts of social media and it will be the exact opposite.

social media is used more by the left, as it is used more the young
look at the comments on bbc articles for example
Original post by hpcp

You do know that facebook et al tailor your feed to what you think you'll like? You do literally exist in a bubble. There was a massive controversy around this not that long ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_bubble
Original post by hpcp

What part of "other parts" don't you understand?

Comes to ask a question, doesn't like the answer and goes into blind mode.

I'm out of this bs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending