Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexel GCSE Maths Paper 2 (higher) unofficial mark scheme - 8th June 2017 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking for foundation go here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8#post72011838

If anyone can give me an answers I'm missing/let me know about any mistakes that'd be great.

1. Estimate for number of times dice lands on 1 or 3 = 98 (3 marks)
    2. Yes more than 60% of seats will be occupied because 1648/2600 are used = 63% (5 marks)
    3. Draw plans of 3D shape (4 marks)
    4. (a) 57.1 km/h (4 marks)
    (b) time must be same (1 mark)
    5. Similar triangles: (a) AE = 3.9cm (2 marks)
    (b) AB = 2.05cm (2 marks)
    6. Secure bank is better than personal bank - £26546.46 compared to £26530 after 3 years (3 marks)
    7. Error interval = 4.755<= n < 4.765 (2 marks)
    8.Number of students taller than 160cm = 12 (2 marks)
    9. reflections - Amy is incorrect (3 marks)
    10. Planets - (a) Jupiter greatest mass (1 mark)
    (b) difference between Venus and mercury = 4.668x10^24 (1 mark)
    (c) Nishat is correct, Neptune is 105x as far (2 marks)
    11. Solve fractions for x: x= 28/3 (4 marks)
    12. (a) What's wrong with probabilities? 14/30 and 15/30 don't add to 1 OR denominators in second set of fractions should be 29. (1 mark)
    (b) teacher was wrong because he needed to multiply the probabilities instead of adding them (1 mark)
    13. Histogram - 7 women over 50 (3 marks)
    14. Graphs - C F, A and H in that order (3 marks)
    15. Prove triangles are similar - angles in same segment equal x2 and vertically opposite angles are equal. Triangles have 3 angles the same therefore are similar. (3 marks)
    16. Prove 0.136... x 0.2... is 1/33 (3 marks) solution here: https://ibb.co/kvUi5v
    17. 66.5% of sector shaded (5 marks)
    18. Solve exponential equation for x: x= 29/20 (3 marks)
    19. Algebraic fractions: a = 4, b = -42 (4 marks)
    20. (a) Roots of x^2 -3x-1 = -0.3 and 3.3, draw line y=x+4 on graph (2 marks)
    (b) estimate gradient of tangent = around 2 (3 marks)
    21. Circles in rectangle: area = 8600mm^2 (4 marks)
    22. Nth term = 2n^2+n+1 (3 marks)
    23. y = -(3Root7x)/7 + (8root7)/7 (3 marks)

I've seen the paper now so I've updated everything to include the marks, it should all be right. Please don't worry if you found the paper hard this morning - everyone did, the grade boundaries will be low. Hope this helps

Edit: for anyone asking how I've seen the paper - my maths department let me borrow a copy. I don't have it anymore, so I can't send it you. Cheers

Edit: Find the list of predicted topics for paper 3 HERE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hebeb)
    If anyone can give me an answers I'm missing/let me know about any mistakes that'd be great.

1. (a) P(1) = 0.31
    (b) 98
    2. Yes more than 60% of seats will be occupied because 1648/2600 are used = 63%
    4. 57.1 km/h
    12. Histogram - 7 women over 50
    14. Algebraic fractions: x= 28/3
    15. Find the value of x: x= 29/20 or 1.45
    16. Area of sector shaded = 66.5%
    19. Area of rectangle= 8600mm^2
    21. Nth term = 2n^2+n+1
    22. y = 3/7x Root 7 + (8root7)/5
    I'm not sure which one but one of the answers was it is AAA so it is similar.
    The question on the algebraic fractions was a=4 and b=-42

ReputationRep:
    What must be true about the 2 journeys when finding the average speed statement:
    I said that the distance must be the same.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well I flopped that monumentally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilio Ramirez)
    What must be true about the 2 journeys when finding the average speed statement:
    yess i got that too

ReputationRep:
    That was sooooooooooo hard

ReputationRep:
    hard is an understatment; that was not fair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samanthaplague)
    I'm not sure which one but one of the answers was it is AAA so it is similar.
    The question on the algebraic fractions was a=4 and b=-42
    Do you happen to remember the algebraic fraction question? (ie. the question itself)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i got that too, pretty sure thats right

ReputationRep:
    Ah nice. Glad to know I failed then

ReputationRep:
    I got 9 for one of the solving algebraic fraction questions.

ReputationRep:
    judging by the amount of top set people who really struggled with it in my school and student room, im guessing grade boundaries will be fairly low

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hebeb)

1. (a) P(1) = 0.31 (b) 98 2. Yes more than 60% of seats will be occupied because 1648/2600 are used = 63% 3. 4. 57.1 km/h 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. (a) triangles - length was 3.9cm (b) AB = 2.05cm 12. Histogram - 7 women over 50 13. 14. Algebraic fractions: x= 28/3 15. Find the value of x: x= 29/20 or 1.45 16. Area of sector shaded = 66.5% 17. Graphs were C, F, A and H in this order 18. a =4, b= -42 19. Area of rectangle= 8600mm^2 20. (a) Roots of x^2 -3x-1 = -0.3 and 3.3, draw line y=x+4 on graph (b) estimate gradient of tangent = around 2 21. Nth term = 2n^2+n+1 22. y = 3/7x Root 7 + (8root7)/5
    Last question y equals -coefficient of x (y= - 3root7/7 x + 8root7/5) or whatever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shanpatel2000)
    hard is an understatment; that was not fair
    I agree I missed out nearly 10 questions and I Ann extremely gutted now as I really wanted to do well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that's wrong. The times need to be the same (so 1 hour for both journeys, with them being 80km and 60km so the total time is 2hrs and the average speen is 140km/2hrs = 70km/h

ReputationRep:
    i got the planets one as saturn and yes it was over 100 times greater

ReputationRep:
    if we all do bad wont the grade boundaries be lower

ReputationRep:
    I got 33.49% for the shaded sector one. I think I messed it up with the area of the triangle. How do you work out the area of an equilateral triangle?

First I tried 1/2 b * h.
    Then I tried 1/2 ab sin C and got a different answer.
    THEN I found out the perpendicular height of the triangle using pythagoras, and then used 1/2 b * h again and got the same answer as the 1/2 ab sin C one.

What was I supposed to do?

ReputationRep:
    I officially flopped my paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denis zorba)
    judging by the amount of top set people who really struggled with it in my school and student room, im guessing grade boundaries will be fairly low
    Yeah I hope theyre going to be really low

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.