Doodle246
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi ,

I would like some advice on joining medical school .

I am a mature student who didn't do well in A-levels and now studying accounting . I would very much like to peruse the field of medicine but for that I most likely have to re-take my A-levels . From what I know universities don't really like re-takes , if you want to apply for medicine . So should I apply for foundation clinical course or re- take A-levels ( if that is a better option ) .It's just I don't want to waste time on re-doing A-levels which won't have much worth, considering being a mature student and re-taking on top .However , if there are any other pathways ( which I am not aware of) , to access medical school, please do share . Moreover , let me know any universities outside UK that are more acceptable of that scenario . Preferably in USA , Canada and Australia .

Thank you in advance and looking to hear for any advice and information
SmileyChap
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm unsure what you being a mature student has to do with anything. Either way, re-taken A-levels won't be looked down upon if you get straight A's.
By taking Biology and Chemistry, you'll get a guaranteed entree into the medical field, especially if you get good A-Levels and achieve highlight in the UKCAT.

You should research different Universities, ones with achievable A-level requirements, and analyse whether you want this career choice bad enough.

Dentistry and veterinary jobs fairly touch on medicine (more so dentistry), so you really have to sit down and acknowledge what you want to do with your like, and the extent of energy you're willing to put into your goals.

All the best
Captain127
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You should checkup on uni websites and check their mature section. Also you can checkup on books at stores that provide advice in applying to medicine, will have a small section for mature students and ought to point you in the right direction.

Studying in America and I think Canada as welll, requries a degree to apply there. Also, I believe they don't look too fondly on foreign students studying there and give higher preference to local students, because they view it as a waste to potentially teach a doctor that may end up returning back to their own country when they could of got a local person as a Dr. It was a brief research so not entirely sure if it was true but I didn't bother checking up more on it. Also it is very expensive to study over there.

You can try places in Europe, you may have better luck there too. Only problem for me is that during your clinical years you are expected to speak their language to communicate with local patients, and I'm horrible with languages to didn't pursue that route.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Captain127)
You should checkup on uni websites and check their mature section. Also you can checkup on books at stores that provide advice in applying to medicine, will have a small section for mature students and ought to point you in the right direction.

Studying in America and I think Canada as welll, requries a degree to apply there. Also, I believe they don't look too fondly on foreign students studying there and give higher preference to local students, because they view it as a waste to potentially teach a doctor that may end up returning back to their own country when they could of got a local person as a Dr. It was a brief research so not entirely sure if it was true but I didn't bother checking up more on it. Also it is very expensive to study over there.

You can try places in Europe, you may have better luck there too. Only problem for me is that during your clinical years you are expected to speak their language to communicate with local patients, and I'm horrible with languages to didn't pursue that route.
It will cost upwards of $200,000 to get an MD in the US. I wouldn't recommend it for an international student. You'd be better off doing your medical degree elsewhere and take the USMLE and apply for a residency (although even then, international students tend to do poorly in the Match).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.06%
No (322)
75.94%

Watched Threads