Rii.M
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Do you thing Jeremy Corbyn will resign if the Conservative Party wins with a large majority? If so, who do you think will replace him?

A lot of Corbyn's own MPs and party members don't support him so I really don't think a Corbynite like Diane Abbot or John McDonnell would be too successful if it comes down to a leadership race.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depends if you believe Jeremy Corbyn, who said he didn't want to be the leader once he was past 70 years old.
Or Jeremy Corbyn, who said he had a mandate from the membership so would stay on.
ValiantExistence
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If he does resign, I hope the new leader is literally ANYONE but Diane Abbot. Even the idea that she could be PM is scary.
Allie4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Pretty sure hes already confirmed that he won't.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, he won't resign. He'll cling on, like a limpet (or like Neil Kinnoch, anyway). He'll always bang the 'democratically elected by the party' drum, even though he's a joke who couldn't win a game of Connect 4 with a 6 year-old, never mind a general election.

The only time he'll go is when his party forces him out. The tide has to turn against him.
ValiantExistence
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Allie4)
Pretty sure hes already confirmed that he won't.
What if the lack of support he has from his party leads to another leadership race? I personally don't think he is a good leader at all, the party needs someone who can unite all labour voters and someone who's numbers add up when it comes to financial policies.
ValiantExistence
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
No, he won't resign. He'll cling on, like a limpet (or like Neil Kinnoch, anyway). He'll always bang the 'democratically elected by the party' drum, even though he's a joke who couldn't win a game of Connect 4 with a 6 year-old, never mind a general election.

The only time he'll go is when his party forces him out. The tide has to turn against him.
That actually cracked me up :laugh:
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think he will. He will stay on at least until he can get the rules change to make it easier for another left winger to stand next time.
StudyJosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Depends if you believe Jeremy Corbyn, who said he didn't want to be the leader once he was past 70 years old.
Or Jeremy Corbyn, who said he had a mandate from the membership so would stay on.
> corbyn isnt 70
> corbyn did have a mandate from the members

> thank you for praising his honesty
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ms Abbott would make a wonderful successor for Jez on the shadowy benches.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by StudyJosh)
> corbyn isnt 70
> corbyn did have a mandate from the members

> thank you for praising his honesty
But he will be soon. Why stay on as leader if he's not then going to stay on to fight for PM at the next General, by which point he will be over 70.

It's not honesty when you contradict yourself.
RKPB
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
Ms Abbott would make a wonderful successor for Jez on the shadowy benches.
Diane Abbott even being an MP bothers me are there really no better labour representatives in her contituancey??

(Original post by Rii.M)
Do you thing Jeremy Corbyn will resign if the Conservative Party wins with a large majority? If so, who do you think will replace him?

A lot of Corbyn's own MPs and party members don't support him so I really don't think a Corbynite like Diane Abbot or John McDonnell would be too successful if it comes down to a leadership race.
If it does come down to another leadership race, I think someone like Keir Starmer or Yevett Cooper would be a good choice.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RKPB)
Diane Abbott even being an MP bothers me are there really no better labour representatives in her contituancey??

If it does come down to another leadership race, I think someone like Keir Starmer or Yevett Cooper would be a good choice.
the future does not belong to stale white middle-class people. the labour party needs the vibrant leadership of Diane who speaks to the grass roots of every background.
ValiantExistence
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rkpb)
diane abbott even being an mp bothers me are there really no better labour representatives in her contituancey??
literally!!!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So long as the polling is not wildly off and he can say he gained vote share then it does not matter because even if he goes next Autumn, another Momentum candidate will replace him.
StudyJosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
But he will be soon. Why stay on as leader if he's not then going to stay on to fight for PM at the next General, by which point he will be over 70.

It's not honesty when you contradict yourself.
that's completely factual but you are allowed to change your mind. he was never definite about the 70 thing.

> theresa may says she wont have a general election
> theresa may says remain is best for the country
> theresa may policy u-turn
ScottishBrexitor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If Labour lose more seats than before I expect he'll announce his intention to resign but will first change the Labour leadership election rules to allow John McDonnell to win rather than a moderate like Yvette Cooper or Sir Keir Starmer.

If Labour gain more seats then he'll stay on with the PLP likely staging another leadership challenge.
acd55
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
He won't resign. He is not just fighting the conservatives, he is fighting the labour party from within
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If he resigns can we have Barry Gardiner pls cause he is ****ing funny and sassy.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
If he resigns can we have Barry Gardiner pls cause he is ****ing funny and sassy.
Seems a jolly chap. One has to assume he supports the Islington positions on foreign and stuff though.

Hows your drift right going?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads