Starting Uni as a single parent.....HELP!!1

Watch
JodieM90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've joined TSF as I'm struggling to find answers else where.

I'm a mature student (27) and a single parent (son will be 6 when starting). I have completed the access course and have been offered a place at UClan on the Nursing course, starting in September 2017.

I'm trying to be organised and make sure everything is in place for when i start, as I will need to leave my current job - which means no income!!!! I'm hoping someone who is a bit savvy on this can help me.

I have been accepted by student finance - application for tuition fees has been completed. I have also applied for the maintenance loan and I'm in the process of completing the childcare grant. That's as far as I have got - but even with all this I'm wondering how i manage to pay the rent, bills, car and all the other living costs!!

I've been researching and have come across the parent's learning allowance, although it states you apply when completing the initial student finance which I have already done - does this mean I am not eligible? Can you get this along side the maintenance loan?

Also, I've heard i get help with council tax? I kind of just need to know what I will be entitled to so I can get cracking and have peace of mind. Will i be entitled to housing benefit, as i private rent? Tax credits? And if so am i only able to apply once the course has started? It's all so confusing, and no-one I speak to can give me a straight answer.

Although the thought of Uni is exciting, it's also quite daunting! My main worry is around finances and being able to survive - I know I will survive, because I have to! I have childcare and family around to help so that's less of a worry at the moment.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JodieM90)

I'm a mature student (27) and a single parent (son will be 6 when starting). I have completed the access course and have been offered a place at UClan on the Nursing course, starting in September 2017.

I'm trying to be organised and make sure everything is in place for when i start, as I will need to leave my current job - which means no income!!!! I'm hoping someone who is a bit savvy on this can help me.

I have been accepted by student finance - application for tuition fees has been completed. I have also applied for the maintenance loan and I'm in the process of completing the childcare grant. That's as far as I have got - but even with all this I'm wondering how i manage to pay the rent, bills, car and all the other living costs!!

I've been researching and have come across the parent's learning allowance, although it states you apply when completing the initial student finance which I have already done - does this mean I am not eligible? Can you get this along side the maintenance loan?

Also, I've heard i get help with council tax? I kind of just need to know what I will be entitled to so I can get cracking and have peace of mind. Will i be entitled to housing benefit, as i private rent? Tax credits? And if so am i only able to apply once the course has started? It's all so confusing, and no-one I speak to can give me a straight answer.

Although the thought of Uni is exciting, it's also quite daunting! My main worry is around finances and being able to survive - I know I will survive, because I have to! I have childcare and family around to help so that's less of a worry at the moment.

It can vary from council to council but you will either get a reduction or not have to pay council tax. You can get the letter that you need to give the council at student services after you are fully enrolled (after first real day at Uni.)

You might be eligible for Child tax credits but students don't get working tax credits.

If you're travelling into uni there's usually a mobility element included in your student finance.

I'm not sure re: housing benefit.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to make an appt with student services and they can give you a rundown of the usual thing that single parents apply for in case you're missing something.

There's also emergency funds if things are getting a bit tight.
aleshe43
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Currently doing the sums myself - am in Scotland so it may be a little different.

I just googled my council and students - no council tax to pay here. CTC continue as normal as do any disability benefits with the exception of the WTC disability premium if applicable.

I will need to pay my own rent, but will likely qualify for FSM/clothing grants/heating allowance etc. which all add up.

Something here on WTC : https://www.studentparents.org/stude...ce/tax-credits basically saying no if you get the Childcare Grant.

Personally for me there's not much in it - so when asked if I'm ready to be poor I'll submit a hollow laugh.
Sarah_78
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I'm a single mum too, I'm doing my second degree. My first degree was in 2007 and I was exactly the same age as you and my son was 5....it won't be easy but if I can do it anyone can 😉
You should be able to get the higher rate of the maintenance loan, parents learning grant, full time students get full council tax benefit, and as a single parent you should do be able to get child tax credit (roughly £65 week) as well as your child benefit. Depending on your income and your rent you may also get some housing benefit, just be careful and make sure they are aware of all of your income. Sometimes depending on the uni you may be able to get an extra grant directly from the uni, when I did my first degree the uni gave a grant to people on a ow income who was the first in the family to go to uni.
Hope this helps x
NayNay17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is interesting. Do most universities out there have babysitting services for after hour classes?
kjudd33
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,
Does anyone know if the maintenance loan is disregarded as income on the new universal credit? It was for tax credits but i'm not sure if it is anymore.
I would be a fulltime student working 16-20 hours a week with 2 children, but if the maintenance loan reduces universal credit significantly I may need to
think carefully about whether we would survive financially if I went to uni. I know the maintenance loan would mean no housing benefit, so couldn't afford to
lose universal credit too.
JasmineH890
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kjudd33)
Hi,
Does anyone know if the maintenance loan is disregarded as income on the new universal credit? It was for tax credits but i'm not sure if it is anymore.
I would be a fulltime student working 16-20 hours a week with 2 children, but if the maintenance loan reduces universal credit significantly I may need to
think carefully about whether we would survive financially if I went to uni. I know the maintenance loan would mean no housing benefit, so couldn't afford to
Keep me posted if you find out what happens to universal credits, I’m in the same boat as you and would like answer regarding this🤔😕
Carly100387
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Hi there

I just saw your post and just wondering if you found answers?
I’m in the same boat starting access to nursing and after will be university and quiting my job.
I have a ten year old and live in a council property but just want to know if you get housing benefit as the thought of quiting my job and having no income is scary. Just wondered if you can give me any advice ?
Kayleighdemp
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kjudd33)
Hi,

Did you get an answer?
Carly100387
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kayleighdemp)
Did you get an answer?
Hiya no sorry please can you resend the thread seems a bit confusing x
Carly100387
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Did you get an answer?
Sorry just realised you was asking if I had an answer ! Know not planning on starting uni til 2019 but trying to get ahead of myself . Know things may change but any advise you can give me will be great 👍🏻
kjudd33
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am none the wiser I'm afraid. I have applied for uni and finance and am just hoping that all will be well to be honest. If not I suppose I will just deal with it at the time. If you are still in part-time employment, as well as studying, I can't see that they can take the whole universal credit benefit off you, it just doesn't make sense when working tax credits doesn't take student loans into account.
IonaBubble
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

You may get help with council tax. As for housing benefit, you will have to check with your local council or try the CAB for help. The parents learning allowance is something you can apply for each year when you apply for your student finance. Childcare is only for registered childminders and they pay I think 80% of the cost, the good news is this is not repayable. Again this is based on your income, I qualified for it but my friend did not due to her husband's wage. She had to rely on her mum to look after her kids. You may qualify for CTC, which means you can access free school meals, free prescriptions and dentist appointments. Again that is income based. Find out if you can talk to the SU at your university before you start and they can help you organise the paperwork and what to do and when.
Bridgett1989
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Did you get an answer?
Hi just thought I’d shed some light on the UC and SF and how it’s worked for me. I’m a first year undergraduate, lone parent with 2 children.
This is how my UC and SF has worked out hope it helps -

So if I didn’t work or receive SF my total UC award would be £1313.00 a month. My student finance award for this year 17/18 was £14,201.00 broken down this is

• Maintenance loan £9609 this includes the special support element of £3566

• Parent learners allowance £1617

• Childcare grant £2975

Of this universal credit should disregard the Parents learns allowance, special support element, and the childcare grant. So £14,201 - £8158 = £6043.00

Universal credit should only regard this £6043 as income in your calculation. It’s then divided by 9/10 months how ever long your first year is. Mine was 9 months so works out as £6043 ➗ 9 = £671.44

Then the first £110 pound of this each month is disregarded for equipment and travel expenses. £671.44 - £110.00 = £561.44.

This is the amount UC will deduct each month from my award.

So as I said at the beginning my UC award before any deductions would be £1313.13 each month. After my student finance is is taken out my UC payment each month is £751.69

I hope this helps break it down a little easier, universal credit call centre is useless they don’t no how to calculate it properly and can’t put u through to the payment team to explain. It took me 2 months to and 100 calls to sort out, If you feel you aren’t getting anywhere demand to escalate the call to a manager it worked for me. Good luck 💜
Pink flowers
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I'm worried about this too I start nursing September does anyone know if il still get child tax and housing benefit I have a child she's 4
VicsR1928
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I'm going to be doing the exact same thing my daughter is 1 and I work full time but looking to go to university full time, my daughter currently goes to nursery at £1100 a month for Monday to Friday, I was just wondering what help I will get for university, after all I'm doing this for a better life for my daughter and my family and following my dreams
Pink flowers
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You will get a child care grant. I just want to know what benefits we can get like housing benefit.
Msk_roy88
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, I'm also in a similar boat, due to start 2018, currently working part time and Considering continuing to work while at uni depending on benefits? I know I won't have to pay council tax, Ill still get CTC unsure about HB and WTC?

Also, anyone else going through benefit nightmare with all the changes?
Pink flowers
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's exactly what I want to know mate. I can't live on £1000 a month I need housing benefit I hope we get that too. I have a car to run. I do bank shifts which I will continue when I start my course as I may have to for extra money. Just hope I don't have to full time nursing is going to be tiring enough without more shifts on top won't see my kid as much as I want but with help from housing benefit I won't have to do more shifts.
Msk_roy88
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm currently going through the hrmc checks and apparently I don't qualify for low income help anymore it's stressful as hell! I've a car to run too and I'm struggling with the help so lord knows what I'm going to do without it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (698)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (877)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
19.04%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.47%

Watched Threads