The Student Room Group

A level choices

So I'm choosing my a level subjects very soon, and I'm finding it so hard to make this decision! I was wondering if anyone has any guidance to offer to someone struggling to make this decision.
I want to take 3 a levels, and a BTEC, simply because I want one subject that has more coursework, and most a levels offer exam based qualifications.
I definitely want to take psychology, philosophy, and health and social care, though I am stuck on the last a level option, and I want don't want another 'soft' subject.
My choices are...
Geography (also seen as soft)
Biology
Sociology (soft)
English Literature and Language.
I want to go into some sort of health and social care type career, or teaching.
Does anyone have any opinions that could help me?

Thank you!
Reply 1
If you want to go into a health career I would suggest biology. However English is also seen as a very important subject when applying to jobs. The choice is yours but I would suggest biology or English depending on what you're stronger at also what grades you get overall at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
English is a great course to take as it doesn't narrow your options for later on, if anything widens them even more and gives you a chance to express yourself as well
Biology you will already have coursework from the BTEC and its a facilitating subject English GCSE is enough
Reply 4
i dont know for what universities you aim but unfortunately your choices are a bit soft, just like you said. I would suggest removing philosophy and picking 2 subjects that are not soft and you are most likely to get a good grade. I would suggest doing maths as if you choose the easiest modules it's fairly easy to get a good mark
Reply 5
i dont know for what universities you aim but unfortunately your choices are a bit soft, just like you said. I would suggest removing philosophy and picking 2 subjects that are not soft and you are most likely to get a good grade. I would suggest looking at maths as if you choose the easiest modules it's fairly easy to get a good mark
well health and social care would be primarily oriented at pastoral and day to day support, not directly medically related care. So biology wouldn't be necessary to go down that route, unless you did want to be more involved in the medical side (e.g. nursing, paramedical, medicine, and related areas) in which case biology would be advisable and typically chemistry would be necessary.

Teaching is a fairly broad area as it really depends what level and area you want to teach in. Primary and early years teaching would require a BA/BEd in Education or similar, while secondary teaching would normally require a subject specific degree (for example, Biology) then a PGCE in the relevant subject; it would depend on which subject, with some potential overlap depending on your background (for example I had an English teacher at 6th Form who did a Philosophy degree, and frequently Classics students will (also, or) teach English and/or drama, and it's common for language students to take two languages and teach both; physics and maths often have overlap as well).

Geography isn't always seen as a "soft" subject; it's frequently considered facilitating including by top unis (e.g. LSE). It does depend what other A-levels you take and what you're planning on doing; earth science/oceanography students doing two STEM subjects plus geography would probably be favourably viewed most places for example.

You are perhaps a little vague on your potential career, which is common but makes it hard to advise a specific combination; I would be inclined to recommend a broader set to accommodate for several potential pathways. You also haven't included much reasoning for wanting to take the specific couses you're looking at except the BTEC being related to HSC as a career.

In general, any combination should be sufficient to apply for education, although English Lit and Language along with a science and maths would give a very good, broad background to continue to this, either for primary or secondary education. For HSC related things, if you're interested primarily in mental health care and health care assistant type work, social sciences may be somewhat beneficial but realistically most combinations would be suitable with work experience being more important (particularly for yourself, to be sure you're committing to the right pathway).

For psychology, any is fine, although sciences are often preferred. I have yet to see a psychology degree (or sociology etc) that requires the same A-level as a prerequisite; typically just a demonstration of both quantitative and writing skills are ideal. For medical and biomedical related things (including nursing, physiotherapy, nutrition etc) as noted above, Chemistry is almost universally required and where not, Biology is, and Biology would be recommended in all cases (except perhaps radiography where chemistry/physics might be suitable).

As neither psychology nor philosophy are required prerequisites for any course, nor are they universally considered facilitating (both are considered soft or non-preferred at certain unis and/or for certain courses) I would perhaps recommend not taking both. I would personally be inclined to recommend English Lit/Lang, Biology, and either Chemistry or Maths; this would give you an excellent basis for both essay based humanities and social science courses, as well as the necessary scientific and quantitative skills for science/health professions courses and more quantitative social science courses. However, you have not indicated any interest in either Chemistry or Maths, and if you are resolutely set against both of those then either Philosophy or Psychology would be suitable, perhaps leaning towards the latter as fitting the complement better.
(edited 6 years ago)
Don't do sociology.

Everything else is good and just go for the one you can get the best grade in.

Quick Reply

Latest