The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Question Help

So I sat the edexcel *Old Specification* GCSE maths foundation (calculator) paper today and there was a question that completely baffled me. I managed to remember the question and I wondered if someone could solve it for me, just for my own peace of mind to see whether or not I was on the right lines? The question was as follows:

Gemma and Betty both have some sweets. They both have exactly the same number of sweets.
Gemma gives 24 of her sweets to Betty.
Betty now has 5 times the amount of sweets that Gemma has.
Work out the total number of sweets that they have
Reply 1
Original post by mollystevens22
So I sat the edexcel *Old Specification* GCSE maths foundation (calculator) paper today and there was a question that completely baffled me. I managed to remember the question and I wondered if someone could solve it for me, just for my own peace of mind to see whether or not I was on the right lines? The question was as follows:

Gemma and Betty both have some sweets. They both have exactly the same number of sweets.

Is that it? How many sweets do they both have?

btw i finished my gcses so...
Reply 2
:smile:
Original post by mollystevens22

Total number of sweets nn.

∴5(n2−24)=n2+24\therefore 5(\frac{n}{2}-24)=\frac{n}{2}+24

The answer is n=72n=72, so each starts with 36 sweets. After the transfer of 24, they have 12 and 60.
Reply 5
how??
Reply 6
Original post by Elo1se
how??

Original post by RogerOxon
Total number of sweets nn.

∴5(n2−24)=n2+24\therefore 5(\frac{n}{2}-24)=\frac{n}{2}+24

The answer is n=72n=72, so each starts with 36 sweets. After the transfer of 24, they have 12 and 60.

what calculations do u do
Original post by Elo1se
what calculations do u do

Multiply out the LHS of the equation that I gave and collect terms. Please post your working if you have any issues.
36.36 - 24 = 1236 24 = 6060 / 12 = 5

Quick Reply