How do people run out of time in exams? Watch

123chem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ada_Kai)
Perhaps you (and the rest) should use your precious time to go and revise instead of getting butthurt.
Maybe you should tell this to yourself or the person who made the thread.
LastSon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I guess you are so smart and just better than the rest of us. I mean i am sure we have all had the same quality levels of education you have had.
Ada_Kai
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 123chem)
Maybe you should tell this to yourself or the person who made the thread.
You're actually right loll, should be revising for chem tomorrow but I'm just procrastinating *cries* ahh well, it's nice to see what others are up to.

Sorry about calling you butthurt btw, I can see where you guys come from, I just see both sides of the argument.
Saphiracal
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm currently going through the process of getting extra time in my last AS exam due to a recent diagnosis (ADD / joint hypermobility) which alerted my school to the fact that I have the potential to do well, but process information slower than others (hence work at a slower rate). Pretty sure I had decent exam technique last year for my GCSEs (15 mins on one section, then move on, 15 mins on the next section etc) but I tended to write less which was fustrating, and with extra time I could have achieved better marks in my GCSE essay subjects (my old school never picked up on this despite significantly underachieving in my mocks). Joint hypermobility also means my wrist tires faster in writing

I get where you're coming from in terms of neglecting exam technique (the stats for extra time seem to be rising pretty quickly), but please be aware that extra time isn't all about this - there's also numerous other reasons for having it, and it's not always possible to tell why a person's been allowed it ^-^
123chem
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're actually right loll, should be revising for chem tomorrow but I'm just procrastinating *cries* ahh well, it's nice to see what others are up to.

Sorry about calling you butthurt btw, I can see where you guys come from, I just see both sides of the argument.
It's cool. My chem one is on tuesday XD. I guess you are doing AS
Ada_Kai
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's cool. My chem one is on tuesday XD. I guess you are doing AS
Yup! AS chemistry. I'm taking chem next year too! (hopefully)
eliieyayne
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
worry about yourself
Kravence
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How long other people takes doesn't effect you so I'm not understanding why you care
username1495504
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can be smart on paper but not so smart socially...
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The conquest of knowledge, quantified understanding, and purely the gauged pursuit of gaining some arbitrarily defined unit that attempts to benchmark ones intellectuality is not the sole meter that portrays ones capability: deferring to even considering that some degree of intellectuality is in itself an insult to those who I consider true intellectuals.

Normally I'm not one to construct a formal response, nor am I the kind of person to fall in to the kind of trap displayed for the sole purpose of causing dissonance amongst forum goers, however I'm afraid to say that you've caught me in your web. Your lack of empathy is truly a painstakingly difficult concept to grasp coming from someone who has such a high regard for the pursuit of knowledge; to haphazardly commit to such a view with no sympathy for those who don't abide by it... I don't personally feel as though I can find any word or amalgamation of words to describe how I feel.

Disregarding formality, I'll simply have to put forward in simplicity the reasoning behind my disagreement to your post. The pursuit of knowledge itself seems to be greatly defined by the ability of oneself to perform in an exam and in this modern day and age, that is the mindset that has beset many of our generation, the idea that to pass a subject is simply to pass an exam and to simply carry out the functions described in the syllabus: "Find the momentum transferred from A to B," "How might the mechanism of cyclosis be utilised in a protozoan to maintain a concentration gradient?" and so forth. This isn't the entire meaning behind a subject, this isn't even a fragment of it, my own view is the meaning of a subject is the passion and understanding, the appreciation for it, and the drive to further study it. You may not agree with this, however this the drive that has pushed many to discover the phenomena they did.

You're disdaining those who aren't as capable as you when it comes to examination, passing away those who bolster an equal passion and love for a subject they wish to spend their life continuing as lesser people, and that truly saddens me. Seeding discontent and further angering folks who attempt to share their view by responding with a lack of compassion or understanding isn't the trait of an intellectual, nor should it be a trait of anything that holds the capability to do so.

Allow me to share with you my favourite quote, one that has kept me going over the years since I first read it.

"We go about our daily lives understanding almost nothing of the world. We give little thought to the machinery that generates the sunlight that makes life possible; to the gravity that glues us to an earth that would otherwise send us spinning off in to space, or to the atoms of which we are made and on whose stability we fundamentally depend. Few of us spend much time wondering why nature is the way it is; where the cosmos came from, or whether it was always here; if time will one day flow backward and effects precede causes; or whether there are ultimate limits to what humans can know. What is the smallest piece of matter. Why do we remember the past and not the future. And why there is a universe. "

Question yourself as to whether you spend your daily life in the grind for approval, moving forward solely for the sake of getting some piece of paper or electronic page that shows you a grade, not holding to mind the great effort and passion infused to achieving what you have. Others hold that same regard, many can do the same amount of effort and work, yet in the end it may be futile. We're not all the same, we're not all clonal or identical, and an equivalent of a lifetimes of work may be culminated by someone else in a far shorter period.

Appreciate those who aren't as capable, and appreciate those who lack the ability. Appreciate the world you live in, every last part of it.

Quick edit: I should probably have spell checked this or at least went over it... I've made so many grammatical errors. Yowza it hurts.
xJaayyy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Glassapple)
The exam board doesn't just pluck a number out of thin air and run with it. Obviously the amount of time given is proportional to how much time the paper should take, which has been fairly and logically analysed (with extra time given to those legitimately judged to need it, which is not very many at all as a percentage of your year group). If you run out of time then it's down to your poor exam technique, which guess what, you've had two academic years to practise and perfect.

Your teachers have been banging on at you for two years about how much time to spend on each section, how much you should aim to write for each section, how to be concise when you need to, how to write in detail when you need to, etc. They sit there with you time and time again with timed and untimed papers in lessons and revision sessions, going through mistakes you could make and how to correct them. They show you the specification, past mark schemes and sample answers. They tell you to revise the content and practise your exam technique against all of this. Then you still run out of time because clearly, you haven't been paying any attention at all to the people who were trying to help you.
Don't be so self absorbed and worry about your own exams. People run out of time for different reasons and thats that? End of thread.
username943595
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just dropped in to say that biology exams do have essays now. That's all, carry on.

@OP, go troll somewhere else.
Really? But i swear at max they're like 6-8 marks
balanced
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some exams are harder than others, I recently finished an AQA Geog 3 paper with an hour to spare, in a 2.5 hour exam (not trying to boast just explaining I can write fast). Yet at the same time, I can only just finish an OCR Classics exam 20 minutes past the time limit.
123chem
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Elliwhi)
Really? But i swear at max they're like 6-8 marks
No, we have a 25 marker essay now in one of the papers (A level) ...its so annoying! XD
Ada_Kai
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, we have a 25 marker essay now in one of the papers (A level) ...its so annoying! XD
Oh my god... great, from the two 5 markers at the end of paper2 to a 25 marker in A lvl... UGH!
username943595
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh my god... great, from the two 5 markers at the end of paper2 to a 25 marker in A lvl... UGH!
What board is this????
Ada_Kai
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What board is this????
I'm doing AQA
123chem
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What board is this????
AQA but i think other boards also have it, not sure though
123chem
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hopefully you found the set 2 spec papers helpful
Ada_Kai
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hopefully you found the set 2 spec papers helpful
They definitely were! I thought paper1 was alright, there was a triglyceride question that I messed up on, but I made up for it in paper2 . Overall it was pretty good!

Dreading chem tho...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (193)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (359)
41.89%
Not feeling great about that exam... (168)
19.6%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
15.99%

Watched Threads