Adam Jan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys. I have a problem. I still struggle to describe the differences and processes and examples of mitosis and meiosis. I understand everything except for this sub topic. Thanks
texet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
State everything you know about each of them. What the replicates are created for, what they can do... etc. Then see what the differences are. Start there. If not, I can explain it to you, if someone else doesn't.
Rawnblade
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Adam Jan)
Hi guys. I have a problem. I still struggle to describe the differences and processes and examples of mitosis and meiosis. I understand everything except for this sub topic. Thanks
Mitosis is the type of cell division that duplicates a cell and creates an exact copy of it. Like cell division in a zygote. Meiosis is the type of cell division that produces daughter cells with half the number of chromosomes, like in a sperm and an egg
Adam Jan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rawnblade)
Mitosis is the type of cell division that duplicates a cell and creates an exact copy of it. Like cell division in a zygote. Meiosis is the type of cell division that produces daughter cells with half the number of chromosomes, like in a sperm and an egg
I understand the general theme of them but where do keywords like haploids and diploids come into play?
Adam Jan
Rep:
?
(Original post by texet)
State everything you know about each of them. What the replicates are created for, what they can do... etc. Then see what the differences are. Start there. If not, I can explain it to you, if someone else doesn't.
Don't worry, I got help but thanks for your offer
anna.tr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I understand the general theme of them but where do keywords like haploids and diploids come into play?
haploid = contains 23 chromosomes in nucleus so you would describe the daughter cell/gamete produced by meiosis as haploid cells/gametes

diploid = containts 46 chromosomes in nucleus so the daughter cells produced by mitosis would be referred to as diploid daughter cells.

just mention the keywords in your answers
Adam Jan
Rep:
?
(Original post by anna.tr)
haploid = contains 23 chromosomes in nucleus so you would describe the daughter cell/gamete produced by meiosis as haploid cells/gametes

diploid = containts 46 chromosomes in nucleus so the daughter cells produced by mitosis would be referred to as diploid daughter cells.

just mention the keywords in your answers
omg it all makes sense now. thanks so much
00sevenmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Mitosis and Meiosis

Homologous – matching chromosomes

Mitosis – cell division to produce clone

Haploid – A cell containing half the normal number of chromosomes

Zygote – A fertilised egg cell

Meiosis – Cell Division to produce gametes in sexual organs

Gamete – Sex cell

Diploid – A cell containing two copies of each chromosome

Mitosis

To make more cells during growth and/or to repair damaged cells, body cells divide by a process called mitosis:

1. Chromosomes first make copies of themselves called DNA replication

2. The copies of the chromosomes separate and then the cell divides

3. This division produces two daughter cells, which are genetically identical Diploid cells and are identical to the daughter cell:

Diploid (each daughter cell has 46 chromosomes in their nucleus so they have two copies of each chromosome)

Mitosis can occur in asexual reproduction

Asexual reproduction is when organisms reproduce by themselves

Bacterial cells often reproduce asexually by splitting in half, some plants can also reproduce asexually

Sexual reproduction makes new being – requires two gametes and fuse to produce zygote

Meiosis

Cell division to produce haploid gametes

1. First step is DNA replication (this first step is the same as in mitosis)

2. This is followed by two cell divisions - i.e. the cell is first divided into two and then divided again into four

3. This produces 4 haploid daughter cells, each containing one set of (23) chromosomes (i.e. the haploid daughter cells have half the number of chromosomes in the nucleus than diploid cells)

Chromosome pairs in a diploid cell contain the same genes but may have different versions of the genes (i.e different ‘alleles’) because they come from different parents -- chromosomes in a pair are slightly different

In meiosis, these slightly different chromosomes are split between the daughter cells in a random wayàthe haploid gametes produced in meiosis are genetically different from each other
Rawnblade
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A haploid cell is a ell with half the number of chromosomes. think 'hap' sounds like 'half'. Diploid means the full number of chromosomes, think 'D' for 'double' the number of chromosomes in a haploid cell
anna.tr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
omg it all makes sense now. thanks so much
No worries good luck tomorrow
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (75)
32.75%
No I don't (108)
47.16%
I work during the holidays (46)
20.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise