Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I heartily welcome the idea.

ReputationRep:
    *Whistles aloud to the tune of "The Self-preservation Society"*

ReputationRep:
    Its as good a way as any as discrimitating between the thousands of people who get straight As. Although i'd say more moving towards having to take extra exams which test stuff you'll need more at cambridge... You can get As at A-level by memorizing things and sticking numbers in to formulas. Not the same as getting a first from cambridge...

George Yianni
    Clare College

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there need be any great overhaul of the A-Level system as some government ministers are suggesting. The papers should stay exactly as they are. The only difference is that everything should be based on UMS marks - or rather these marks converted into a percentage.

Rather than (for example) Cambridge asking for three grade As at A-Level, they should be allowed to ask (a potential English student) for 90% or above in English and 87% or above in two other subjects. This would mean 540/600 for English and 522/600 for other subjects. This would get rid of the need for an A* at A-Level and make Universities aware of those applying who are good students and who are brilliant students.

In addition, I like the AEA paper system as it stands. The introduction of a super-essay for some subjects also strikes me as a great idea (perhaps in lieu of coursework).

To be honest I think that by requesting UMS marks, Cambridge have taken the first important step towards what the government should consider an adequate replacement for the current A-Level/University application system.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be better to continue making offers based on grades (eg. AAA), but to allow universities to use UMS marks to help them make those offers to the right people.

ReputationRep:
    There are bonuses to both methods... There's no denying though that UMS marks will be very helpful from the admissions tutors' points of view.

Is the super-essay definitely in lieu of coursework? I hope it is - I know I had plenty of work to do for my A levels, and limited time, as it was! Coursework does offer huge opportunities for cheating though, so perhaps a timed essay would be better - and overall less time-consuming too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    "Should Cambridge be allowed to Request UMS Scores for the next year's year 12" - Yes

"Should UCAS tell everyboy that UMS scores won't be requested, students sit exams doing what they need to do for their straight A's as they were told that they should get straight A's, then Cambridge suddenly impose UMS Mark requests after exam results day?" - No
    If students decide they only want to put in the minimum effort to scrape an A, that's their prerogative, but they should be prepared to accept the consequences if they're asked for UMS. Alternatively, they could always apply to Oxford.

I wasn't aware I had to give module scores until after I'd sent off my application form with GCSE and AS grades and got a letter from my college asking for UMS, plans to retake and class sizes. I never felt I had cause to complain.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge should be allowed to do whatever they like - if you don't like it, don't apply there. Simple.

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    If students decide they only want to put in the minimum effort to scrape an A, that's their prerogative, but they should be prepared to accept the consequences if they're asked for UMS. Alternatively, they could always apply to Oxford.
    Precisely.
    UMS reflects effort as well as ability. I doubt that a student, who tries to get a high mark only for uni, can do good in uni, coz that's not out of his own will. Study is more a self-motivated thing.

(Well... I say this probably coz my UMS, which I received early this morning, is not too bad )

ReputationRep:
    I think they should be allowed to request total marks (i.e. out of 300) but not individual module marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I think they should be allowed to request total marks (i.e. out of 300) but not individual module marks.
    Why? Actually I'd love them requesting UMS for every single module, coz we've got more chance to impress them with our 100%s

ReputationRep:
    Last year (sorry, 2002 so two years ago - am getting old) a lot of Colleges included a question about UMS on their college questionnaire everyone had to fill in before interviews. They need to discriminate somehow, and some naughty schools like mine don't "cash in" AS results until January so that we can't put them down on our UCAS forms. All very dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    same here. total marks give a better overall idea of the candidates ability, because theyre not just based on single exams that will all be surrounded by different circumstances. after looking at someone who got two 85 and one 100, they may think that because the modal score is the 85, the 100 is may be fluke and that the candidate is not as good as someone who consitantly gets 90 in every module. on paper, 90,90,90 looks sliiightly better than 85,85,100. in reality, the distributions given by only 3 papers dont mean much. after another 3 papers, its unlikely the scores will be 85,85,85,85,85,100 and 90,90,90,90,90,90 respectively. however, it is likely that both candidates will achieve around 90% overall, and that they are both of equal ability.

module scores dont really mean much on their own anyway. the difference in ability between someone scoring 100 and someone scoring 90 in one module will probably be minimal and often non existant, infact the 90 could easily be the better candidate. however, the difference between somsone scoring 600 and 540 overall is more notable.

and if you do have 100%s, they can always go in your reference as an added bonus.

ReputationRep:
    A reminder that exam results are only one part of the selection process and that students with less than three As are still accepted on occassion. For example, a friend of mine with ABBC and another who only got 38 in his IB. Both missed the offer and both are here and doing very well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ticki)
    Last year (sorry, 2002 so two years ago - am getting old) a lot of Colleges included a question about UMS on their college questionnaire everyone had to fill in before interviews. They need to discriminate somehow, and some naughty schools like mine don't "cash in" AS results until January so that we can't put them down on our UCAS forms. All very dodgy.
    i had to fill in that questionnaire. i don't mind them asking for my UMS, even though mine were/are pretty shocking for a cambridge applicant/student. i guess it's the only way they can separate the top candidates, (or show pity on them and still give them an offer )

ReputationRep:
    You had to do that for Sidney? Unlucky, Priya - I didn't! 2002 must have been a lucky year for applicants to Sidney. I know my friends had to for Pembroke, Newnham and New Hall that year though.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.