The Student Room Group

Is a film degree the best decision?

I'm currently in Year 12 studying Psychology, English Literature and Theatre Studies and have started booking some University Open Days at Anglia Ruskin, Portsmouth, Glouchestershire & Worchester.

I've been a bit indecisive on the exact course I wanted to take over the year but decided to go with either Film Production or Digital Media & Creative Professional Writing (depending on the uni course) because it's something that I've started to actually pursue and I can't see myself taking anything else that I'll enjoy for the next 3-4 years.

I'm just concerned that I'm limiting myself if I go for it and that I cold do something 'more' so to speak - especially with the stigma that's associated with courses like this. It's a decision I'll have to make sooner rather than later due to the fact that I haven't taken Media Film A-level, I need to start building up experience outside of school (which I've started doing through photography and planned short film ideas).
However, is a film degree the best decision?
Hello :smile:

It's great to hear you want to get into the film industry - it really is an exciting and rewarding career choice. Don't worry about not taking a Film or Media Studies A Level, the majority of higher education institutions don't make this compulsory in order to apply to them. However, they do like to see a portfolio or at least some form of experience, which you have recognised. Maybe you could do a Film Summer School this July or August to gain a good understanding of what studying Film Production would be like and also you would leave with your very own short film, which would be great to add to your portfolio for university interviews?

The film industry is booming at the moment and jobs are always in demand. At Brighton Film School, our degree students are already getting paid work involving assistant directing, camera operators, set design, script writing and editing work. The list really is endless as to what aspect of film production you can get into - the great thing about studying a pracical filmmaking degree, is that you can discover which aspect you enjoy the most and focus your attention on that.

I hope that has helped reassure you and has given you some advice on things you can start doing now. We have an open evening coming up if you would like to find out more about studying a degree at a film school, we would love to meet you:
http://brightonfilmschool.eventbrite.com

Let me know if you have any other questions, and I'd be happy to help :smile:

Holly, Brighton Film School
Original post by allyG_w
I'm currently in Year 12 studying Psychology, English Literature and Theatre Studies and have started booking some University Open Days at Anglia Ruskin, Portsmouth, Glouchestershire & Worchester.

I've been a bit indecisive on the exact course I wanted to take over the year but decided to go with either Film Production or Digital Media & Creative Professional Writing (depending on the uni course) because it's something that I've started to actually pursue and I can't see myself taking anything else that I'll enjoy for the next 3-4 years.

I'm just concerned that I'm limiting myself if I go for it and that I cold do something 'more' so to speak - especially with the stigma that's associated with courses like this. It's a decision I'll have to make sooner rather than later due to the fact that I haven't taken Media Film A-level, I need to start building up experience outside of school (which I've started doing through photography and planned short film ideas).
However, is a film degree the best decision?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending