Original post by theboss1738
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MPC3-W-QP-JAN11.PDF
I just don't understand how to solve it
8bii and 8biii

For part b(ii) ...

let y=0 therefore...

4e2xe4x=0 4e^{-2x} - e^{-4x} = 0

4e2x=e4x 4e^{-2x} = e^{-4x}

Then take the natural log to both sides...
ln(4e2x)=ln(e4x) ln(4e^{-2x}) = ln(e^{-4x})

Use the addition rule of logs to separate out the LHS...
ln(4)+ln(e2x)=ln(e4x) ln(4) + ln(e^{-2x}) = ln(e^{-4x})

Use the log power rule to bring the exponent out the front and cancel out the ln e to give...
ln(4)2x=4x ln(4) - 2x = -4x

2x=ln(4) 2x = -ln(4)

x=12ln(4) x = - \frac{1}{2} ln(4)
Original post by Philip-flop
For part b(ii) ...

let y=0 therefore...

4e2xe4x=0 4e^{-2x} - e^{-4x} = 0

4e2x=e4x 4e^{-2x} = e^{-4x}

Then take the natural log to both sides...
ln(4e2x)=ln(e4x) ln(4e^{-2x}) = ln(e^{-4x})

Use the addition rule of logs to separate out the LHS...
ln(4)+ln(e2x)=ln(e4x) ln(4) + ln(e^{-2x}) = ln(e^{-4x})

Use the log power rule to bring the exponent out the front and cancel out the ln e to give...
ln(4)2x=4x ln(4) - 2x = -4x

2x=ln(4) 2x = -ln(4)

x=12ln(4) x = - \frac{1}{2} ln(4)

yaayyy philip top the rescue

damn you are quickeer than me

how you doing haha?
Original post by Shadowfire123
yaayyy philip top the rescue

damn you are quickeer than me

how you doing haha?

Haha :wink:

Not bad thanks, haven't seen your name crop up on a thread since we were preparing for our C1 and C2 resits :tongue:

How's things going on your end?
Haha :wink:

Not bad thanks, haven't seen your name crop up on a thread since we were preparing for our C1 and C2 resits :tongue:

How's things going on your end?

my name cropping where haha? y
yea had S1 yesterday and physics unit 2

preparing for chem 1 AND m1
How about you?
my name cropping where haha? y
yea had S1 yesterday and physics unit 2

preparing for chem 1 AND m1
How about you?

Oh, how did S1 go? You're on Edexcel right? I heard quite a few people struggled with it!

Yeah still trying to perfect C3 and C4, it's not going too well though! Still struggling with a few things :frown:
Oh, how did S1 go? You're on Edexcel right? I heard quite a few people struggled with it!

Yeah still trying to perfect C3 and C4, it's not going too well though! Still struggling with a few things :frown:

yeaa Edexcel ..it was a hard paper
yeaa Edexcel ..it was a hard paper

God, I'm glad I didn't bother resitting it otherwise I would have done worse than I did the first time! I'm quite content with being 3 marks off an A for that module :tongue:
@Shadowfire123 Wow, I help OP by spending a long time writing everything in LaTex form and all I get is a lazy thumbs up back.

YOU'RE WELCOME!

*Takes note of name* :tongue:
@Shadowfire123 Wow, I help OP by spending a long time writing everything in LaTex form and all I get is a lazy thumbs up back.

YOU'RE WELCOME!

Size thanks mate
God, I'm glad I didn't bother resitting it otherwise I would have done worse than I did the first time! I'm quite content with being 3 marks off an A for that module :tongue:

omg lucky you..that 70ums right
it was all algebra for S1 mostly

it had 6 questions aswell

YOU'RE WELCOME!

Teke note of the name?? meaning the boss is savage haha just given you a few rep for helping:rofl::rofl3:
do you want himto get you a coffee?:shakehand:
how did you write in La tex form
Teke note of the name?? meaning the boss is savage haha just given you a few rep for helping:rofl::rofl3:
do you want himto get you a coffee?:shakehand:
how did you write in La tex form

Haha.
Yuck I hate coffee :tongue:

LaTex takes a while to learn. There is a page on TSR that tells you everything you need to know but you slowly learn how to do it by yourself.

What about biii) :frown:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MPC3-W-QP-JAN11.PDF
I just don't understand how to solve it
8bii and 8biii

For 8biii, M is the stationary point of that curve and ever since C1 you should be able to find its coordinates from finding the curve's derivative and seeing where the gradient is equal to 0.
Original post by RDKGames
What about biii) :frown:

I actually worked out the answer to part biii) on a bit of paper but then I didn't get a reply from OP so I thought they managed to figure it out considering similar log principles apply and I assumed that they know how to work out stationary points in general cases.

How are your university exams going btw?

@theboss1738 do you still need help with part biii) or have you managed to work it out?
(edited 6 years ago)
I actually worked out the answer to part biii) on a bit of paper but then I didn't get a reply from OP so I thought they managed to figure it out considering similar log principles apply and I assumed that they know how to work out stationary points in general cases.

Good so far! Three more to go on Probability Theory + Statistics, Group Theory and Number Theory but I suspect them to be alright. :smile:
Good so far! Three more to go on Probability Theory + Statistics, Group Theory and Number Theory but I suspect them to be alright. :smile:

That's good! I expect someone of your caliber will smash those last exams! :smile:

@theboss1738 do you still need help with part biii) or have you managed to work it out?

It's basically the same method isn't it?

Hey RDK ddint recognise you
change of profile pic I see haha
wears the thumbs up of your facwe gone with the earphones and glasses

The animation looks epic - did you make it yourself?
i think its time that my super saiyan needs a bit of modification

Haha.
Yuck I hate coffee :tongue:

LaTex takes a while to learn. There is a page on TSR that tells you everything you need to know but you slowly learn how to do it by yourself.

Haha really? than it has to be Green tea :tongue:

yea I heard it takes a long time to do it
It's basically the same method isn't it?

Yes as long as you know how to differentiate ekx e^{kx} terms and how to find stationary points first, then you should be able to use the same log principles as those that were used in the previous part bii).

Let me know how it goes and if you need any help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest